PDA

View Full Version : Mohawks, piercings, ect in a career position?

punkonjunk1024
08-02-2006, 06:28 PM
Alright, so... for the longest time, my pretty much expected goal was to end up, after I get my 2 year degrees in microcomputer repair and software design, to end up in a shitty cubicle job, working some terrible career, day in day out. I plan to eventually get a much better degree in software design, and eventually, go into videogame design, but I want to do that while I host a career, because it'd be impractical to pursue that immediately.

One thing I looked forward to in this career job.. was that I figured I could kind of let loose, finally get a dihawk, and a blue goatee, get the piercings on my face that I couldn't get away with now (2 anti-eyebrow piercings...) ect...
But thinking more and more, I don't see why most jobs wouldn't just let you go for deciding to do something as unprofessional as that.

my question is, what do you guys think? I'm sure some of you work office jobs... what would happen around the office if you did something radical like that?

Beldaran
08-02-2006, 06:37 PM
I would get called into a meeting and have it explained to me that my appearance wasn't appropriate for the work environment and that I could either 1) change it back or 2) look for another job.

If you get a blue goatee and an eyebrow ring, the odds are heavily stacked against you ever getting a job as a software engineer, unless you are unusually talented and your skills are unusually in demand. You are even unlikely to get a videogame job with such a personal presentation, unless your portfolio is full of wicked, full fledged projects that you programmed yourself and you are obviously gifted.

It's basically career suicide. You'll be working the deli at the local organic grocery store with all the other weird looking people.

EDIT: And I am currently working as a software developer, so this is applicable.

Prrkitty
08-02-2006, 09:22 PM
My husband is a senior software engineer at Intel... and he told me that you'd NEVER get hired at Intel (and probably Microsoft) if you do what you are thinking of doing.

punkonjunk1024
08-02-2006, 09:25 PM
That's kinda what I've been collecting. I guess I'll save it for when I'm elderly.

Cronic
08-02-2006, 09:29 PM
As fucked up as i am I've never put holes in me, and the tats i have are hidden :shrug: I think it speaks a lot for the person and really does limit them one way or the other ...for example i could most likely never work for a piercer or other shop ...now something you can tke out is a different story altogether but consider yourself at a cross roads with this one either way

moocow
08-02-2006, 09:55 PM
No sense in whining about it. Life sucks, wear a helmet.

goKi
08-02-2006, 10:00 PM
My advice is to give up your dreams of looking like an idiot to focus on your career. I thought your Wendy's experience would have taught you that by now. You could always get a trashy job at a body piercing place if you want to look like that.

Lilith
08-02-2006, 10:00 PM
It's not really their fault they dont' want one employee calling attention to themselves, especially if they look like shit.