PDA

View Full Version : Mel Gibson Arrest- Blown out of proportion?

{DSG}DarkRaven
08-02-2006, 01:56 AM
CNN News Article (http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movies/07/30/gibson.dui/index.html?section=cnn_topstories)

I'm surprised this hasn't been brought up yet.

Anyway, most of you have probably heard by now that Mel Gibson got arrested for drunk driving and said some stuff about Jews in the process. What I'm wondering is whether or not you guys think this is a big deal or not. Are people getting way too upset over a drunk guy ranting some stupid crap, and is this just a big deal because he's Mel Gibson, or do you think all the attention his words are getting is worth the time the news networks are taking to cover it?

Rainman
08-02-2006, 02:00 AM
Everytime I've turned on the news in the past couple days this story has been on. This certainly doesn't deserve so much attention. There is a mideast crisis going on at the moment.

{DSG}DarkRaven
08-02-2006, 02:02 AM
Agreed. Not to mention the whole Castro situation. But would this be newsworthy if there weren't a mideast crisis?

Beldaran
08-02-2006, 02:27 AM
This is just a convergence of America's obsession with the big three: Celebrity, Politics, and Gossip. Like so many stories about one or all of these things, it will pass as soon as the gossipers get tired of hashing it over.

Stories such as these serve to distract stupid people from actually thinking rationally about things that matter.

Master Ghaleon
08-02-2006, 02:46 AM
If I got arrested, would I be all over TV?

Unless I go on a murdering spree, I dont think so

Dechipher
08-02-2006, 03:29 AM
If I got arrested, would I be all over TV?

Unless I go on a murdering spree, I dont think so
No, but you didn't film "The Passion of the Christ"

Anytime a celeb fucks up, it's news. However Mel Gibson is a pretty hefty icon. Good role model and all that. The Lindsay Lohan story is everywhere too, at least on the internet, but it isn't as entertaining because she's a spoiled bitch and all shes doing is fucking up some shitty movie. It ain't Bruce Willis. This is Mel fuckin Gibson we're talking about.

moocow
08-02-2006, 09:53 AM
I'm just sick of hearing about it. Mel Gibson got drunk, fuck, he's human! THere was a show on yesterday where they were talking about WHAT he was drinking in the bar. WHO FUCKING CARES?! He's 50 years old, he's allowed to go to a bar and drink! While we all know it's illegal to drink and drive, I don't see the sense in plastering it all over the news like it is. Anyone who honestly cares THAT MUCH about a celebrity getting arrested for driving drunk, honestly needs to be shot in the face. Fo' sho'.

Cloral
08-02-2006, 12:50 PM
Ah, its just funny really. Did anyone see the piece they did on this on the Daily Show yesterday? They showed the way the different news outlets covered the story, and all the ones they showed had shown stock footage from his movies in the background. The funniest one was NBC's, they showed footage from Braveheart and just after they mentioned he had let loose a verbal assault the footage was of him raising the sword into the air, going "ooooooooaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!"

In fact, here is the segment on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfOerfl-M3E

Solaris_Omega
08-02-2006, 05:50 PM
CNN News Article (http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movies/07/30/gibson.dui/index.html?section=cnn_topstories)

I'm surprised this hasn't been brought up yet.

Anyway, most of you have probably heard by now that Mel Gibson got arrested for drunk driving and said some stuff about Jews in the process. What I'm wondering is whether or not you guys think this is a big deal or not. Are people getting way too upset over a drunk guy ranting some stupid crap, and is this just a big deal because he's Mel Gibson, or do you think all the attention his words are getting is worth the time the news networks are taking to cover it?

It wasn't just any comments about jews, it was him accusing Jews of starting all the wars in the world. The first thing he said to the cop was "Are you a Jew?". He told the female cop he was going to fuck her. He tried to escape and took of running only to be forced to the ground. When they got him to the station he went on a rant for another several hours regarding how Jews have destroyed the world. In the past we have seen non-celebrity people end up on the news for such crazy acts. I am sure him being a celeb had something to do with him showing up on TV so fast, but I don't think anyone is blowing what he said out of proportion.

erm2003
08-02-2006, 06:00 PM
It wasn't just any comments about jews, it was him accusing Jews of starting all the wars in the world. The first thing he said to the cop was "Are you a Jew?". He told the female cop he was going to fuck her. He tried to escape and took of running only to be forced to the ground. When they got him to the station he went on a rant for another several hours regarding how Jews have destroyed the world. In the past we have seen non-celebrity people end up on the news for such crazy acts. I am sure him being a celeb had something to do with him showing up on TV so fast, but I don't think anyone is blowing what he said out of proportion.

To top all that off, the cop that pulled him over is a Jew. Those are some pretty anti-Semitic remarks being made from a man who directed a movie about the death of Jesus. He denied that the movie was anti-Semitic, but I really wonder if his true colors were shown when he was under the influence.

lord_jamitossi
08-02-2006, 07:01 PM
Blown out of proportion? Mabye.

Helarious? Definately so.

I mean, for sure people are overreacting and everything. But then you realize, this is Mel Gibson. The man is a HUGE celebrity, with a fairly clean reputation, and anti-sematism, along with being one of the worst things to be, is actually pretty humourous in my eyes. Add all this to a career which might now start collapsing, and I'm laughing. And each time I hear about it, I chuckle, so I'm not complaining that they're still talking about it.

This is funny for the same reason it was funny when Ashlee Simpson was caught lipsyncing.

mikeron
08-02-2006, 09:14 PM
Tequila counts for a lot of crazy. Anyone who is personally offended by what someone said to a cop on the side of the road at 2:30 in the morning needs to please die.

{DSG}DarkRaven
08-02-2006, 10:13 PM
It wasn't just any comments about jews, it was him accusing Jews of starting all the wars in the world.

So? Maybe he was reading somethingawful.com's Weekend Web (http://www.somethingawful.com/weekendweb/) before he got plastered. It's not like that sort of ridiculous statement has never been made by anyone before (http://www.somethingawful.com/index.php?a=2679&p=9).

Solaris_Omega
08-02-2006, 10:21 PM
So? Maybe he was reading somethingawful.com's Weekend Web (http://www.somethingawful.com/weekendweb/) before he got plastered. It's not like that sort of ridiculous statement has never been made by anyone before (http://www.somethingawful.com/index.php?a=2679&p=9).

Then does that mean that your implying that because someone else has said it before him, it makes his case slightly less important and unworthwhile to be raised as a serious issue?

{DSG}DarkRaven
08-02-2006, 11:27 PM
No, I'm simply stating that statements like those have been around for years, and it's entirely possible that in his drunkeness, he was reciting something that he read about or heard, and not something he believed in. Having worked with people afflicted by Alzheimers, I know very well what kind of garbage can spew from a person's mouth after their mental barriers break down. I've never drank in my life, and I've never been around people that get drunk, but it's my understanding that alcohol loosens your tongue.

MottZilla
08-02-2006, 11:32 PM
Who fucking cares. He should be treated like every other drunk driver. Not to mention drunk driving is really stupid, careless, and dangerous. But you know how it is, he's rich and a celebrity so he won't be going anywhere. But ya, who gives a shit.

Lilith
08-03-2006, 01:19 AM
BREAKING NEWS: Mel Gibson is a douche

Gerudo
08-03-2006, 02:09 AM
BREAKING NEWS: Mel Gibson is a douche
FOLLOWUP STORY: Quoted for truth.

all the movies i've seen him in except for Braveheart have sucked immeasurable amounts of ass.

so anyways, his story should be like one of those stories meantioned in passing. he got drunk, drove, got arrested, ranted about religion for a while, felt like shit the next morning.

HOLY SHIT IT'S MEL MOTHERFUCKING GIBSON! CAN I HAVE YOUR AUTOGRAPH?

mikeron
08-03-2006, 09:53 AM
HOLY SHIT IT'S MEL MOTHERFUCKING GIBSON! CAN I HAVE YOUR AUTOGRAPH?Calm down, Sugartits.

Cloral
08-03-2006, 12:24 PM
...I've never drank in my life, and I've never been around people that get drunk, but it's my understanding that alcohol loosens your tongue.
To say what you really believe, without putting up false pretenses. Besides, he ranted about it for several hours - it wasn't just a passing comment. Mel Gibson is, most likely, an anti-semite.

Beldaran
08-03-2006, 01:05 PM
Plus, his father is a blatant and voracious anti-semite and Mel Gibson has never really distanced himself too strongly from his father's comments. Like father like son maybe.

ZomfgIts0rzlolo
08-03-2006, 01:55 PM
It made for really good Daily Shows and Colbert Reports, so I'm fine with it.

MacWeirdo42
08-03-2006, 11:53 PM
Depends on what you mean. Should the news media be giving this so much coverage? Probably not. On the other hand, they work for their own pocket books, not for what's best for viewers to know. Sensationalism wins over news-worthiness any day. I gotta admit, I myself find the whole thing damn entertaining.

However, looking strictly at potential social repercussions, I'd say it's in no way blown out of proportion. If he gets booted out of Hollywood or something for what he said, I say he deserves it. But that's just my own personal opinion

goKi
08-04-2006, 01:24 AM
I really wish they would tighten up drink driving laws. First offence of over .1 BAC, and permanent loss of license.

Ich
08-04-2006, 03:31 AM
Wait, Mel Gibson got arrested?

And why should we care?

mikeron
08-04-2006, 09:41 AM
Wait, Mel Gibson got arrested?

And why should we care?So people like Billy Bush can maintain their inflated sense of relevance.