PDA

View Full Version : No more E3

goKi
07-31-2006, 01:52 AM
http://www.joystiq.com/2006/07/30/e3-canceled-for-next-year-and-beyond/

Apparantely primarily due to cost factors, E3 will no longer be held.

Vagla
07-31-2006, 02:00 AM
*sigh* It wouldn't cost so much for the exhibitors if they waste so much money making pretty booths. They spend a ton of money not on exhibiting the games, but rather on putting on a show for people. That isn't what E3 is about, and if companies realized this and went there to show off GAMES, it'd be cheaper for everyone. Cost wouldn't be much of a concern.

DarkDragoonX
07-31-2006, 03:21 AM
Meh, 3E has been nothing but a huge hype-fest for years. I don't think the loss of E3 is a major blow to the gaming world.

Cloral
07-31-2006, 01:07 PM
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060730-7382.html

According to this, the previous article was in error. It won't be cancelled, just downsized. However, as they point out, this would likely spell the death of e3 as we know it. I'm gonna miss going to LA and getting my ears blasted out for 2 days straight. </sarcasm> But then again, without e3 I wouldn't've gotten the chance to play the Wii yet. Ah well, it was fun while it lasted.

edit:
Here's the official press release:
http://www.theesa.com/archives/2006/07/for_immediate_r.php

Grasshopper
07-31-2006, 05:07 PM
a bit off topic, but isn't E3 short for Electronic Entertainment Expo? Then in this letter they keep saying E3Expo, is like saying the Electronic Entertainment Expo Expo.

Its like saying "PIN Number"

:rolleyes:

Dechipher
07-31-2006, 05:18 PM
ATM MACHINE.

k

{DSG}DarkRaven
07-31-2006, 05:29 PM
Penny-Arcade's newspost today does a decent job of pointing out the reasons why this isn't necessarily a bad thing. Truth be told, the blitzkrieg of gaming news that happens every may will probably still exist, there will just be fewer articles about booth babes and drunken nerds playing Halo.

Aegix Drakan
07-31-2006, 07:20 PM
I guess sony must be happy.

I hear they got seriously ignored last time.

what was it? 6 hour line up for nintendo's booth, and 20 minutes for Sony's?

ah well. I guess that means I'll never get to go to an E3.

>_< dammit, I was hoping I'd be able to see at least one.

Cloral
07-31-2006, 08:20 PM
Sony got ignored because their stuff sucked. I went to their booth, looked around at what they had out front, and concluded that it wouldn't be worthwhile to wait in line to see what they had in the back.

Darth Marsden
08-01-2006, 05:50 AM
I don't think it'll be the end of E3 just yet. Somehow I imagine that it'll survive in some form. And even if it doesn't, there are other, similar shows like E3 that take place at different times in the year, so there'll always be something to keep us relatively happy.

mikeron
08-01-2006, 07:17 PM
Meh, 3E has been nothing but a huge hype-fest for years. I don't think the loss of E3 is a major blow to the gaming world.Yeah, instead of wasting time on E3 demos, maybe some of these publishers can work on finishing their damned games.

DarkDragoonX
08-01-2006, 08:56 PM
Yeah, instead of wasting time on E3 demos, maybe some of these publishers can work on finishing their damned games.

My favorites were always all the "games" that didn't actually exist yet except in the form of prerendered CG "cinematic trailers." :rolleyes:

MottZilla
08-01-2006, 11:40 PM
I highly doubt that E3 slows developers down at all. If anything it speeds them up.

Anyway, I think they finally realized that they should rework how they do E3, because it does sound like it costs a hell of alot of money to do and for apparently no good reason. As I recall after like the first day of E3 very little news came out. But it went on for 3 days mainly so certain lucky people could roam the floor playing demos or whatever.

Anything the consumers like me can't see on the TV or the Web is a waste of money. Afterall, we are the ones that they want to buy their games. I certainly did enjoy though how the X360 stuff including demos like Lost Planet were all downloadable on XB Live. That really rocks.

goKi
08-02-2006, 12:30 AM
My favorites were always all the "games" that didn't actually exist yet except in the form of prerendered CG "cinematic trailers." :rolleyes:

You mean 'Every Playstation game', right?

{DSG}DarkRaven
08-02-2006, 01:31 AM
You mean 'Every Playstation game', right?

Final Fantasy 7, anyone?