PDA

View Full Version : Problem with sound

zeldajunkie
07-29-2006, 04:48 PM
The first time I played Zelda Classic (yesterday), I had sound. Since then, I have no sound. I've uninstalled and reinstalled, and still no sound. All other audio files play fine on my PC (mp3, wav, wma, midi, etc). My speakers are on and my volume is turned up. Is it possible that I hit some combination of keys that toggled the sound off? I've tried hitting page up, "S", and "K", but nothing happens. It's no fun playing without the music and sound effects.

I read some other posts to see if this topic was addressed, and there was a suggestion to open Zelda Quest, let the default quest load, go to ETC., and choose Lost Woods. I did that, but no sound there, either. :confused:

Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA!

ZJ

DarkDragon
07-29-2006, 05:36 PM
I assume you've tried restarting your computer? Sometimes zombie processes will hog locks to the sound system.

You might also want to try deleting ag.cfg.

zeldajunkie
07-29-2006, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.

I uninstalled ZC, shut down my PC. Turned PC back on, and installed it again. Still no sound. I closed the program and deleted ag.cfg. Still no sound. When I exited the program, ag.cfg reappeared in the folder. I don't understand how this is happening. I had sound perfectly yesterday. I didn't save my game yesterday, if that means anything. When I opened it today, it was like starting all over, but from the get-go there was no sound. :(

zeldajunkie

erm2003
07-30-2006, 12:25 AM
I had that problem once and I know I posted on here somewhere about it. Let me know if this works.

Try opening up ZQuest, then just let it open the default blank quest. Go under Etc. -> Lost Woods to try playing the Lost Woods midi. If you hear that, quit ZQuest and then load ZC again. It seems to reset the sound and it got mine working again.

Let me know if that worked. Maybe it's a bug that we should make the developers aware of if the same thing happens to you.

Pineconn
07-30-2006, 01:04 AM
This occasionally happens to me. I fix it by restarting ZC or my computer... Perhaps you should download it again... :shrug: It's probably Allegro that's causing the problem. Or that is the problem.

Hey erm2003, did you read zeldajunkie's entire post?

I read some other posts to see if this topic was addressed, and there was a suggestion to open Zelda Quest, let the default quest load, go to ETC., and choose Lost Woods. I did that, but no sound there, either. :confused:

*chuckle-out-loud* ;)

zeldajunkie
07-30-2006, 11:25 AM
This occasionally happens to me. I fix it by restarting ZC or my computer... Perhaps you should download it again... :shrug: It's probably Allegro that's causing the problem. Or that is the problem.

*chuckle-out-loud* ;)

Thanks, but I tried all that, Pinecann. I downloaded it 3 or 4 times (always getting rid of what's already on my computer beforehand). I even went through the registry and searched for/deleted all references to "zelda". What is Allegro?

ZJ

zeldajunkie
07-30-2006, 11:27 AM
P.S. I don't see a way to search the forums. Am I missing something?

ShadowTiger
07-30-2006, 11:39 AM
The option is only available to Premium Members and staff. :p ZC Beta Testers used to have the ability, but I don't see it anymore, so... (And Beta Testers are the ones who REALLY Need it. @ @.' )

If I ever have any minor or temporary sound issues, I just start fresh, with a clean restart of the PC, and I just open ZC Straight. I usually don't have any problems. It's when (In, say, 2.10.) I have Windows Media Player open, or something else using sound, that ZC or ZQuest won't play any music. Often, only the midi will play, and no MP3 AT ALL will play when ZQuest is open. In 2.11 Beta 10b, I don't have this problem. (On my Celeron D machine.)

On my PII 300 MHZ 256 MB Ram machine, 2.10 gets all the sound, (Except for that annoying Midi reverberation bug.) But I think that the very presence of Strict Midi has made it play NOTHING AT ALL. I've switched every configuration of whatever on and off for that machine, and 2.11 Beta 10b (And a few of its previous betas.) don't get any sound or music whatsoever. Complete silence while anything ZC 2.11 is up. Thankfully that doesn't happen on this current machine.

BTW double posting at AGN is different from double posting at other forums. There's a handy edit button I like to use to include other information. Good to remember.

erm2003
07-30-2006, 11:58 AM

Hey erm2003, did you read zeldajunkie's entire post?

*chuckle-out-loud* ;)

Whoops! I must have missed that when I linked over from General Discussion. Thought the first post was the same.

Pineconn
07-30-2006, 12:21 PM
People tend to misspell my name. I don't think it's that hard to spell. Pine cone, change the last e to an n. Pineconn. Hm.

Anyway, it could just be a hardware issue. Maybe your sound card is crappy. What kind of machine are you running it on? Hopefully not a Windows 98. :p When in doubt, you can run ZC in compatibility mode.

zeldajunkie
07-30-2006, 01:32 PM
Sorry about misspelling your name, Pineconn. I should've previewed my post before I submitted it. :tongue:

I'm running Windows XP Pro on a Dell Pentium 3 PC. SB Live! Sound Card - working properly according to device manager

Okay - here's the latest:
I uninstalled ZC, and deleted the original file I downloaded. I then listened to a mp3 in Winamp, a ra in Real Audio, logged into my online XM radio account and listened to a song there, closed that, went to YouTube and watched a movie with sound (which I heard), and finally, listened to a midi file in Winamp. Then I shut down my PC, and let it sit for about 10 minutes. I turned my PC back on, heard the "windows start" sound, downloaded and installed a fresh copy of ZC2.10. I opened the program and NO SOUND!! Here is what was in my Allegro log:

ZQuest v2.10 (Build 0)
Allocating MIDI buffer (9.84k/9.84k)... OK
Allocating map buffer (185.94k/195.78k)... OK
Allocating string buffer (6.75M/6.94M)... OK
Allocating door combo buffer (159.50k/7.10M)... OK
Allocating dmap buffer (51.00k/7.15M)... OK
Allocating combo buffer (1.49M/8.64M)... OK
Allocating color data buffer (158.11k/8.80M)... OK
Allocating tile buffer (8.00M/16.79M)... OK
Allocating trash buffer (97.66k/16.89M)... OK
Allocating item buffer (6.00k/16.89M)... OK
Allocating weapon buffer (2.00k/16.90M)... OK
Allocating guy buffer (14.00k/16.91M)... OK
Allocating combo undo buffer (1.49M/18.40M)... OK
Allocating tile undo buffer (8.00M/26.40M)... OK
Allocating file path buffers (1.25k/26.40M)... OK
Initializing Allegro... OK
Loading data files:
ZQuest.Dat...OK
ZGP.Dat...OK
Fonts.Dat...OK
OK
Initializing sound driver... Sound driver not available. Sound disabled.
Loading Quest...

Decrypting...okay.
Opening...okay.
Reading Header...okay.
Reading Rules...okay.
Reading Strings...okay.
Reading Doors...okay.
Reading DMaps...okay.
Reading Misc. Data...okay.
Reading Items...okay.
Reading Weapons...okay.
Reading Maps...okay.
Reading Combos...okay.
Reading Color Data...okay.
Reading Tiles...okay.
Reading MIDIs...okay.
Reading Cheat Codes...okay.
Reading Init. Data...okay.
Reading Enemy Data...okay.
Done.

So you see that it couldn't initialize my sound driver. So I opened winamp, played an mp3, then a midi - that was fine. Did the XM and YouTube thing again. That was fine. I opened ZQ, tried Lost Woods - no sound. Opened ZC again, no sound. The content of the Allegro log changed after this. If you want to see it, let me know, but I'm not gonna paste it in here cause it's larger/longer than the first one.

How did I ever have sound the first time I played ZC????? :scared:

Pineconn
07-30-2006, 10:25 PM
Well... Try this...

Go to Control Panel, then System. Click the Hardware tab, then click on Device Manager. Go under "Sound, Video, and Game Controllers". That's what it is on mine, yours might be different. If anything is not working, there should be a yellow dot next to it. If not, then your sound card is working fine.

zeldajunkie
07-30-2006, 10:34 PM
Well... Try this...

Go to Control Panel, then System. Click the Hardware tab, then click on Device Manager. Go under "Sound, Video, and Game Controllers". That's what it is on mine, yours might be different. If anything is not working, there should be a yellow dot next to it. If not, then your sound card is working fine.

Been there, done that - as I wrote in my last post:
"I'm running Windows XP Pro on a Dell Pentium 3 PC. SB Live! Sound Card - working properly according to device manager."

I'm thinking System Restore.........

Pineconn
07-30-2006, 10:35 PM
Huh. I don't know what your problem is.

Don't use System Restore... that might screw something up.

Nicholas Steel
07-31-2006, 12:29 AM
the problem may be related to zelda classic using direct X and that you don't have the latest version of it or your soundcard drivers... or your soundcard is old and just doesnt work with direct x at all.

Freedom
07-31-2006, 02:32 AM
There was a post like this a while back, maybe 8 months to a year, that answered this question, look back in this (ZC Discussion) forum and you should find it.

EDIT, I need a life.
I went back some 30 pages of threads and couldn't find it.
phantonez kept posting this

Go to control panel, then sounds and audio devices, then the audio tab, and change the midi player until you find one that works.

I seem to remember that using another program that plays music, somehow takes priorty which then shuts Zelda Classic out, I think the problem was between ZC and winamp or some such strage thing.
There is a post somewhere in these forums where a guy kept farting with it until he finally figured it out and then he posted it, It's not in ZC Discussion, since I went back to before 2.10 was released, so if you search for it, try somewhere else.

zeldajunkie
07-31-2006, 10:11 AM
the problem may be related to zelda classic using direct X and that you don't have the latest version of it or your soundcard drivers... or your soundcard is old and just doesnt work with direct x at all.

Thanks, franpa - keep in mind that when I first played the game a couple of days ago, the sound was working, but I'll check to see if I have the latest version of direct X when I get home from work. My sound card may be old (my PC is 5 years old), but every other app that plays audio works fine.

zeldajunkie
07-31-2006, 10:13 AM
I seem to remember that using another program that plays music, somehow takes priorty which then shuts Zelda Classic out, I think the problem was between ZC and winamp or some such strage thing.

I have no problem getting rid of Winamp - maybe that's it! I'll try it when I get home from work this afternoon. Thanks, Freedom!

zeldajunkie
08-01-2006, 07:01 PM
For those following this thread, here's an update. I decided to try downloading and installing ZC at work. I had Winamp installed there, too, but I uninstalled it first. Guess what? Still no sound. Grrrrr..... When I got home, I uninstalled Winamp, re-downloaded and installed ZC, and still no sound!!

So I'm playing it happily now, sound and all on a laptop I borrowed from work!!

Where's there a will, there's a way!