PDA

View Full Version : Good N64 emulator?

punkonjunk1024
07-28-2006, 04:55 PM
Looking for a highly compatable n64 emulator, I'm getting alot of different feedback from different sites. If giving me a name is against the rules, please let me know, but I don't think it is.

I used to use PJ64, about 2 years ago, but it was trashy. I'm on a modem... so I'd rather not download alot of emulators and test em out.

Also - Are any online still?

Darth Marsden
07-28-2006, 05:21 PM
You'd be surprised at how much emulation has advanced in the last couple of years.

I'd go with the latest version of Project64 myself, or possibly 1964. Project64, under the right system, is the best N64 emulator out there for me at least, but then I have a pretty decent PC. Anything less then a Pentium III 500Mhz and you can consider yourself out of the game.

1964 is also fairly good, but you'll need to tinker around with plugins - something I gather you may not have a lot of time for. If you don't mind playing around with the settings a bit to get a decent setup, then this is also a fairly good one to try.

The others people may recommend are UltraHLE & Nemu64, but they're no longer being updated, so you may want to factor that into your decision.

Hope this helps! And I hope we don't get told off for this...

Beldaran
07-28-2006, 06:08 PM
Nintendo 64 Emulators from Zophar's Domain (http://www.zophar.net/n64.html)

This site has no ROMS of any kind, so I'm assuming it's legal to post this link. It lists many N64 emulators and describes their various steps of development in detail.

ShadowTiger
07-28-2006, 06:10 PM
Honestly, I would most definitely pick up Project64 and Project64k. The latter allows for netplay on Kallaera. ^^; (However you spell it. :sweat: ) I've faced quite a few people on multiplayer SSB. Damn fun stuff. (If anyone wants to play me, PM me. ;) )

MottZilla
07-28-2006, 06:19 PM
Project64 and 1964 are reguarded as some of the best N64 emulators available. Project64 supports most games and can run them very well on a fast enough PC and video card. If you have an AMD64 and a decent card (radeon 7200 or better) you should run things just fine.

Cloral
07-28-2006, 06:28 PM
I would also recommend PJ64. It is what I use. It has improved since you last use it, and most games work pretty well on it (I just in the last week finished playing through Blast Corps again and had no problems with it).

punkonjunk1024
07-28-2006, 06:42 PM
I'll get the latest PJ64 then, thanks for the advice, guys.

I used to play ssb on kalera all the time, but pj64 was so horrid my shitty 1gig processor couldn't handle it, and it didn't display the graphics correctly.
Thanks though - I hope it's better than it was.

Oh yeah... I've got my laptop, and I'm on wireless, so downloads are no problem.
However... I'd love to be able to play N64 on my laptop, instead of my home PC, because thats much more limited.
I have a pentium 3 648mhz, and 256 ram.
No 3d card onboard, and I don't think I can get a usb one. :goofy:
So... would running any of these with software 3d funtions... basically rape the speed out of the playability? I mean, I'll try it, but it'll take a while to find working rom downloads, anyhow.

MottZilla
07-28-2006, 09:02 PM
You really do need a 3D accelerator. Laptops do have them. The question is really how great is it. If you had a good Radeon or GeForce mobile chipset, you'd have no problem for less demanding games like Mario. More demanding games like 007 and Perfect Dark require a good solid card. Mine is from the year 2000 and is plenty for N64.

Software rendering WILL SUCK ASS. You'd need an AMD64 to have any hopes for decent software rendering speed and decent may be too hopeful.

Dechipher
07-29-2006, 12:26 AM
Try the Virtual Console.

MacWeirdo42
07-29-2006, 01:18 AM
The only real problem I've found with N64 emulators is figuring out a suitable substitute for the controller. It's very difficult, I think, to come up with a decent substitute, unless perhaps if you have a gamepad with a helluva lot of buttons.

Masamune
07-29-2006, 02:10 AM
I use a psx to usb adapter and use the 2nd joystick for the C buttons. Square and X are B and A. And L, R, and Z are the shoulder buttons. Works perfectly, and comfortably.

MottZilla
07-29-2006, 03:12 AM
That's what I use, PSX USB adapter. However I map Left-C and Right-C to a L and R button as it makes strafing and other things possible that use the C buttons.

Cloral
07-29-2006, 05:13 PM
I have a thrustmaster controller with a very odd setup (but one that works): It has 4 buttons on the right side, I use the bottom and left ones as A and B, the other two become up and down C buttons. The top buttons are L and R, L2 and R2 are left and right C. The two buttons on the back (yes, this controller has buttons on the back - I said it was weird) are Z and Start. This way, each of the original C buttons maps to a button instead of a direction on the RStick, which feels better to me.

Thunderkitty
07-29-2006, 06:02 PM
If you donate you can get version 1.7!
I agree the best plugin is Jabosdirect3D8 plugin is the best.
Rices plugin is good too.