PDA

View Full Version : So uh... Megaman battle network 6? My thoughts... and is it done???

punkonjunk1024
07-28-2006, 02:18 PM
Basically, this game was the greatest of the series, hands down. I haven't had this much fun with one since 2 and 3. And 4. and 5... Ok. well... this one rules the most hard ass. The translation is elite compared to the others, which goes great with how enrapturing the story is.
And... the obvious connection to all the rest of the megaman series.
That's freaking awesome... but that ending...
-=SPOILER=-
I mean... what the fuck? I love that series! They can't go much farther into it, but... aw man.... That's so depressing if it's an end.
Great goddamn game though.
The graphics were, of course, basically the same as mmbn2.
Bass is still a monster... and the final boss was too easy.

But you know... amazing game. I loved how goddamn grabbing it was. I've been playing it since it came out, and I'm going to keep playing it.

Great game - Anyone else follow the series?
Your thoughts?

Jigglysaint
07-28-2006, 03:44 PM
I S ranked Blastman while doing Aquaman's link navi quest, and got his chip and I pretty much owned everything from then on.

Anyway, in a way I am glad they ended the series, but I am sad also. I started playing at MMBN2, and at first I thought that a turn based megaman rpg that used this engine was rather lame, but once I played 5, my interest in this game soared. I played 3 and 4, but I cheated near the end of 3 and never finished 4. After playing 5, I went back to 3 and it was awesome. The main problem I had was that I wasn't using the chips correctly.

Anyway, great series, if you don't mind the fact they totally snubbed Crashman. It had solid gameplay mechanics, the battles didn't have to take too long, there was more than enough upgrades to keep you powerful enough(unlike games which either made you work hard for them, or gave you the most powerful stuff right off the bat). The series also has re-play value because of the extra areas.

punkonjunk1024
07-28-2006, 04:39 PM
AMAZING REPLAY VALUE. I was halfway through going through the whole series again (I want to play the versions I didn't play, and get ALL the chips)
What's the damage on blastman's chip? I had the first blastman * from the number trader...
I purchased a lifeaur from the undernet dealer... and basically, got it on my first hand of fighting falzar.
Um. Yeah. Taken down. it was sick.

I can't wait to fight bass again, though. I accidentally found the secret to undernetZero under the big tree online, and shit... He was hardcore. Again, lifeaur saved me, but I still had to dodge alot of stronger stuff.
Some of the links are over powered, a tad, but I'm sure it'll come in handy in the secret areas. Tomahawk man+preset a areagrab* chip = pwn. It's kinda sick.

The minigames in this one were also awesome, tomahawk man's the most so.
And... obviously, it's excited me to play the entire rest of the megaman series that I haven't played, since I skipped all the regular ones between these games and all the X and Zero games. Except megaman and bass for GBA, but fuck is that game hard!

Vagla
07-30-2006, 04:14 PM
I actually have yet to play a 'normal' MMBN game. I'm a huge Mega Man fan, and I've played through and own the majority of the earlier series (almost every game in the classic, X, and Legends series), but I'm not sure about these newer games. I'm usually not a fan of turn-based games and collectathons like Pokemon often piss me off (though I didn't mind collecting souls in CVDS. Those kicked ass). Is there anything Mega-Man-esque about this series that I would enjoy?

I played through Rockman EXE WS a few years back, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it to any of you. It's Rockman EXE meets Rockman classic, plain and simple. It's a normal sidescrolling Mega Man game, and the only things that're EXE about it are the setting, chips, and story (which I couldn't read most of, anyway). The gameplay itself is all classic. I enjoyed it quite a bit. It's kind of short and linear, but it's much, much better than that other MM-classic styled EXE game, Mega Man Network Transmission. If you want to play a slow-ass Mega Man game where your buster is absolutely useless (10 shots to kill the weakest of common enemies, your shots move super slow, and you can only shoot 2 or so shots at once), this is your game. I played more (and enjoyed more) of the craptacular Rockman & Forte for Wonderswan. Truly atrocious.

punkonjunk1024
07-30-2006, 04:28 PM
It's not turnbased at all, really. You're special attacks are turn based... it's hard to explain.
what system was rockman exe WS for?

Either way... I think if you liked megaman, and enjoy good RPGs, it'd be a good idea to pick up megaman battle network 2, 5, or 6.

Cloral
07-30-2006, 04:54 PM
It really is different from any other game series. You fight on a field with 18 spaces - 9 for you, 9 for the enemies. You can move and attack freely, with the one restriction that you can't enter the enemy spaces (but at the same time, they can't enter your spaces). You can shoot your buster whenever and as much as you want, but it does low damage. Your real strength comes from your chips. This is the part that's kinda turn-based and confuses people.

You have a chip folder with up to 30 chips in it. Those are your active chips. At the start of battle, you get a random selection of 5 chips from your folder to pick. You are restricted as to which ones you can pick in combination by type and chip code. Then once you pick your chips, the fighting starts and you can use the chips you picked whenever you want. Chips range from cannons to swords to bamboo spears to summons that call other robot leaders to do powerful attacks for you. Once you've used a chip you can't use it again in that battle, so once you've used the chips you selected you have to rely on your buster. But while you're fighting, a meter fills up at the top of the screen. Once it is filled up, you can hit a button to go back to the chip select screen to pick more chips to use (any chips you selected the first time are replaced with more chips from your folder). That's the 'turn based' element of the game, though as you can see it is very different from what you would normally think of as turn-based.

Vagla
07-30-2006, 05:28 PM
Huh, interesting. That's a bit more appealing than what I had been expecting.

punkonjunk1024: The game is for, as the name implies, WonderSwan (well, WonderSwan Color, actually, but eh ;)). Again, I enjoyed it quite a bit. It felt very classic-MM-styled.

Darth Marsden
08-01-2006, 05:56 AM
I physically own the first and third in the series, but try as I might I can't find the second one for a reasonable price! Sucks ass.

But yeah, great series. Me likey a lot.

Kairyu
08-02-2006, 05:11 PM
I hated MMBNT at first as well, but I enjoyed it a bit once I picked it up again. Like you said, the buster's useless for the majority of the game. The trick is to spend a lot of time at the start getting huge numbers of chips like Cannon1's and Recov#'s, then just keep upgrading your chip folder as you go. Think of it like leveling up in an RPG. And remember that you can slide under almost any Navi (If I had figured this out sooner Quickman would have been so easy...). The final boss is a joke, but at least the other major battle was really cool (Even if he did use cheap full-screen attacks).

punkonjunk1024
08-02-2006, 06:21 PM
Should I invest in/is it possible to emulate megaman battle network transmission? How does that pertain to the MMBN GBA series?

ECNM
08-02-2006, 06:29 PM
Battle Network has been milked for all it's worth, much like most of the other Mega Man series. Honestly the only series that needs or can logically have another sequel (aside from the new ZX series) is Legends. As for Battle Network... I think it went too far when they started adding X series characters. I'm looking at you, Colonel...

punkonjunk1024
08-02-2006, 09:24 PM
Eh, I thought it was going too far with 4, but 5 really took it back from that road it was going down.

gdorf
08-05-2006, 12:36 AM
edited

vegeta1215
08-05-2006, 02:00 PM
I don't see anything wrong with this thread, thread re-opened.

*b*
08-05-2006, 03:51 PM
I just reached the halfway mark on my first playthrough. I am very impressed. I haven't seen ANY typos yet, save for the crummy item/place names. I don't find it quite as good as 5, but it's definitly one of the better ones

I love the Beast out feature as well, and the fact that each combination of the Cybeast and Link Navis has it's own unique sprite. Though most of the time, I just Beast Out and waste the enemies with Falzar's feather attack, which does 5 damage each hit

I'm also suprised that I haven't found the battles annoying, or any of the stages either

Cloral
08-13-2006, 12:30 AM
I downloaded this and have been playing it the last few days, and have to say that I am pleasently surprised. After playing number 4 for a while, I decided that the series was going way downhill and distanced myself from it. But this one is definately better than that piece of shit was. I just got as far as getting the cybeast fusion, so I'm sure I still have a long ways to go.

Gerudo
08-13-2006, 02:50 AM
which version did you get, Cloral? personally i like Gregar because of the super armor and machine buster benefits.

!!SPOILER!!
for those of you that want to check out the transformation, click here:
http://www.galxeth.net/vids/MMBN6-BeastOut_machinegunbuster.avi (~975k)

punkonjunk1024
08-13-2006, 07:08 AM
hey, was the "network transmission" game for GC a port of the one mentioned earlier? Because I just purchased it and I'm really excited to start playing it.

Vagla
08-13-2006, 06:59 PM
Network Transmission and Rockman EXE WS are entirely different games (and the latter is a Japan-exclusive). I really enjoyed EXE WS because it felt very much like an MM Classic game, and the chips were not necessary for the most part (I love playing through MM games without using anything but the Mega Buster, X Buster, etc). Network Transmission makes the chips absolutely necessary because the Mega Buster is almost entirely useless (literally), which really bothered me. The chips also sort of pissed me off, since I'd be in a big battle, use a chip, and then be defenseless for a long period of time because I'm stuck with the useless Mega Buster. Then there are the times I'd get a useless selection of chips. I just found the whole thing frustrating. Hopefully you'll enjoy it more than I. :)

Cloral
08-13-2006, 07:46 PM
which version did you get, Cloral? personally i like Gregar because of the super armor and machine buster benefits.
I'm playing Falzar. I picked between the two knowing nothing of what that choice would entail.

vegeta1215
08-14-2006, 01:35 AM
hey, was the "network transmission" game for GC a port of the one mentioned earlier? Because I just purchased it and I'm really excited to start playing it.

I haven't played any of these new Megaman games, but I read a little bit about the Gamecube one in Nintendo Power. From what I remember, it shares some similarities with the GBA ones, but feels more like an old school Mega Man, and is supposedly pretty tough.

punkonjunk1024
08-14-2006, 08:14 AM
Yeah, it is. It's wierd as hell, too. It rules.

punkonjunk1024
08-17-2006, 03:14 AM
Hey, megaman network transmission for gamecube... what does that take place after? megaman battle network 1? It doesn't seem like it... it's very strange.
It's so much fun though, I'm really enjoying it.

Kairyu
08-17-2006, 06:48 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it takes place between 1 and 2. There's a couple conversations that wouldn't make sense from 2 onward, and the Life Virus is already dead.