PDA

View Full Version : Guy Arrested for Taking Police Picture on Cellphone

Monica
07-27-2006, 05:57 PM
PHILADELPHIA -- A Philadelphia family said they are outraged over the arrest of one of their family members.

The family of Neftaly Cruz said police had no right to come onto their property and arrest their 21-year-old son simply because he was using his cell phone's camera. They told their story to Harry Hairston and the NBC 10 Investigators.

"I was humiliated. I was embarrassed, you know," Cruz said.

Cruz, 21, told the NBC 10 Investigators that police arrested him last Wednesday for taking a picture of police activity with his cell phone.

Police at the 35th district said they were in Cruz's neighborhood that night arresting a drug dealer.

Cruz said that when he heard a commotion, he walked out of his back door with his cell phone to see what was happening. He said that when he saw the street lined with police cars, he decided to take a picture of the scene.

"I opened (the phone) and took a shot," Cruz said.

Moments later, Cruz said he got the shock of his life when an officer came to his back yard gate.

"He opened the gate and took me by my right hand," Cruz said.

Cruz said the officer threw him onto a police car, cuffed him and took him to jail.

A neighbor said she witnessed the incident and could not believe what she saw.

"He opened up the gate and Neffy was coming down and he went up to Neffy, pulled him down, had Neffy on the car and was telling him, 'You should have just went in the house and minded your own business instead of trying to take pictures off your picture phone,'" said Gerrell Martin.

Cruz said police told him that he broke a new law that prohibits people from taking pictures of police with cell phones.

"They threatened to charge me with conspiracy, impeding an investigation, obstruction of a investigation. … They said, 'You were impeding this investigation.' (I asked,) "By doing what?' (The officer said,) 'By taking a picture of the police officers with a camera phone,'" Cruz said.

Cruz's parents, who got him out of jail, said police told them the same thing.

"He said he was taking pictures with his cell phone and that was obstructing an investigation," said Aracelis Cruz, Neftaly Cruz's mother.

The NBC 10 Investigators asked the ACLU union how they viewed the incident.

"There is no law that prevents people from taking pictures of what anybody can see on the street," said Larry Frankel of the American Civil Liberties Union. "I think it's rather scary that in this country you could actually be taken down to police headquarters for taking a picture on your cell phone of activities that are clearly visible on the street."

Frankel said Cruz's civil rights might have been violated.

"He was unlawfully seized, which is a violation of the 4th amendment the last time we checked," Frankel said.

Cruz, a Penn State University senior, said that after about an hour police told him he was lucky because there was no supervisor on duty, so they released him.

"They said if the supervisor was there I wouldn't be a free man and that he is letting me go because he felt that I was a good person," Cruz said.

Police told Hairston that they did take Cruz into to custody, but they said Cruz was not on his property when they arrested him. Police also denied that they told Cruze he was breaking the law with his cell phone. Cruz's famly said it has filed a formal complaint with the police department's Internal Affairs division and are requesting a complete investigation.

http://www.nbc10.com/news/9574663/detail.html

Hmmm, I thought you can take pictures or videotape anyone out in public...?

Superstrider
07-27-2006, 07:25 PM
I agree... And the fact that the police are denying it is truely infuriating. This is a free country. That guy was not breaking the law.

goKi
07-28-2006, 07:13 AM
My experience in the USA is that all american cops are a bunch of power tripping dickheads.

Aegix Drakan
07-28-2006, 08:07 AM
/me sighs and shakes his head

WTF is this world coming to? Police are supposed to behave horoably and stuff like that. this is just rediculous. next thing you know they'll be able to arrest people for just looking at them.

Dechipher
07-28-2006, 11:42 AM
/me sighs and shakes his head

WTF is this world coming to? Police are supposed to behave horoably and stuff like that. this is just rediculous. next thing you know they'll be able to arrest people for just looking at them.
No no no . WTF is the US coming to? That's the question.

And people get arrested for ridiculous shit all the time. It's nothing new. Look at the American Civil Rights movement. The world is not going downhill.

Darth Marsden
07-28-2006, 11:56 AM
The world is not going downhill.
Damn straight. It's just the UK.

This is a little scary. We want police to protect us, not screw around with us. *Shudder*

rocksfan13
07-28-2006, 12:02 PM
Typical Philly fashion. Gotta love it.

ShadowTiger
07-28-2006, 01:25 PM
Eh, you've got your good cops, "I want to protect and serve the people." and you've got your bad cops. "My badge is shinier than yours and I can cut in line because of it."

Of course, how do we know that the officer wasn't just doing his job? If it's his job to enforce the law, maybe he didn't want to arrest him, but he didn't know otherwise. Who can. :shrug: I mean he was 21, not 12. Who knows what the pictures would have been used for.

Beldaran
07-28-2006, 01:50 PM
My experience in the USA is that all american cops are a bunch of power tripping dickheads.

I bet it's true of like, 90%. There are a few good folks.

punkonjunk1024
07-28-2006, 02:05 PM
Ya know... it's not hard to become a cop. There should be screenings, polygraph after polygraph, and it should be TOUGH AS SHIT.
These are the moral inforcers of our country. Close minded shitholes shouldn't be working jobs like that.
I don't fucking understand, at all.

Cops are pigs. I mean, there's a small percentage that isn't... and until just a few weeks ago, I hated the pig stereotype. But it's getting worse and worse. I can't respect that badge after some of the shit they'll do to people.

Monica
07-28-2006, 02:22 PM
That's the weird thing though, I've recently become interested in the show "Cops" and all of them on there seem really good, that's the way policemen should act. (I know it's TV but it's reality TV and a bit more accurate than, say, CSI, which I saw someone mention in Pojo's thread...) I dunno if 90% is a fair estiment...hmmm...

biggiy05
07-28-2006, 02:39 PM
Ya know... it's not hard to become a cop. There should be screenings, polygraph after polygraph, and it should be TOUGH AS SHIT.
These are the moral inforcers of our country. Close minded shitholes shouldn't be working jobs like that.
I don't fucking understand, at all.

Cops are pigs. I mean, there's a small percentage that isn't... and until just a few weeks ago, I hated the pig stereotype. But it's getting worse and worse. I can't respect that badge after some of the shit they'll do to people.

It's harder than you think. Once you get into the bigger divisions in the states that cover a large area it becomes much more competitive. There are screenings, a polygraph test in some states, psychological evaluation, agility, oral exam, written exam, plus the training that you have to take over so you know that department and how the protocol goes.

Not even the vast majority are pigs. People don't like them because they speed and do stupid shit to get pulled over or arrested. It's your own damn fault if you are carrying drugs on you or you think you can drive while drunk off your ass. You run and fight back of course they are going to taser you or put their knee into your back to hold you down.

Kingboo30
07-28-2006, 02:55 PM
What if your just taking pictures of Police who are doing there job? If fu***** news reporters can, why not normal citizens? What they going to do with it that can be a threat?

punkonjunk1024
07-28-2006, 04:45 PM
It's harder than you think. Once you get into the bigger divisions in the states that cover a large area it becomes much more competitive. There are screenings, a polygraph test in some states, psychological evaluation, agility, oral exam, written exam, plus the training that you have to take over so you know that department and how the protocol goes.

Not even the vast majority are pigs. People don't like them because they speed and do stupid shit to get pulled over or arrested. It's your own damn fault if you are carrying drugs on you or you think you can drive while drunk off your ass. You run and fight back of course they are going to taser you or put their knee into your back to hold you down.

Well thats honestly great to hear. I was just ranting about that with some friends, and I feel great knowing that.
The vast majority here are pigs. You'd think wisconsin would have to have some good cops, since everyone is always drunk here... but whatever.
I'm not complaining about when my friend gets caught with pot. If you have something illegal, don't speed. I don't break laws, and I get pulled over.
"Oh, sorry, I thought you didn't have plates, I didn't see that they were LAF plates on there, sir. Can you step off the moped please, sir?"
What the fuck would he search a moped for?
Or... when a cop freaking molested one of my friends, and other times when it was a bit more subtle, but clearly still perverted (They all request female officers now)
Or the time a fucking cop stole my switchblade - "do you have any weapons?"
"Uh, yessir, I carry a switchblade, but if I give it to you, will I get it back?"
"yessir, we just need to hold onto it right now"
20 BUCKS. drove away with it. I was damn nervous, and totally forgot to ask for it back, I was violating a restraining order and the guy I couldn't have contact with was about 3 inches away from me.
So it's partially my fault. (I actually ended up getting the cop to think I was awesome, and he didn't run my name, so he didnt' find out about the restraining order, and holy shit it was probobly the luckiest thing that's ever happened to me)
Fucker.

I'm not sxe, but I don't smoke or drink. So I get kinda pissed that I always get searched, but when my mom gets pulled over, she doesn't have to leave the car. I don't understand alot of police regulations.
Anyhow. This post is too long because I'm heavily caffienated right now

Aireal Albatros
07-28-2006, 05:43 PM
So he got arrested how long iz hiz jail sentence?

mikeron
07-28-2006, 06:51 PM
People who use their cell phone as a camera should all be arrested. The internet is being polluted with low-quality, poorly-aimed pictures. Fuck 'em.

punkonjunk1024
07-28-2006, 06:54 PM
I know what you're saying, but it's more concept. I hate cellphone pictures, and basically any camera that's got a fucking LCD screen. Dear god... YOUR NOT A PHOTOGRAPHER JUST BECAUSE YOU TAKE ALOT OF PICTURES. Everyone's an artist, thanks to technology.

Aireal Albatros
07-28-2006, 07:10 PM
Speaking of cell phone pictures maybe the guy took a copyrighted picture or something.

SomaLlama
07-28-2006, 07:52 PM
tryin to catch me ridin dirty

Dechipher
07-28-2006, 08:50 PM
I'd say 90% of cops are fine, there's maybe 8% who suck and 2 who stay in the HQ. If you think about it, there are a lot of things cops don't get you for. They see you switch lanes without signaling. They see you make illegal turns. They let it slide. The other night I pulled an illegal turn and got pulled over. Cop said I turned bad and my taillight was out. Not a ticket. It's near the end of the month too, so your "They need to meet a quota" excuse don't mean shit. Yeah it seems like all cops who pull you over suck. But it's just that the bad ones tned to pull people over more, for the miniscule shit, so it seems like all the cops suck, but they don't.

jessethe2nd
07-29-2006, 04:01 AM
The cops around here really are not that bad... infact they are actually pretty cool. Since this new helmet law passed I was expecting to be stopped damn near every time I saw a cop but nope, been a year and I still have not been stopped... and I run into cops everywhere. Hell I have even flipped a cop off on a dare and the cop just laughed and flipped me off back. However I have almost been shot by a cop once though but it was kind of my fault... was carrying around my gamecube in one of those alluminum carrying cases and these cops that were searching the neighborehood for a few people who where lighting shit on fire in the streets... one matched my description so they stopped to talk to me. They asked me to take my hands out of my pockets. I did then a few seconds later out of habit I put em back in. Thought I was about to pull out a wep. so one pulled out his gun and one rushed me. Ended with them letting me go when a 101 shot firework went off behind em and the guys they were looking for went running down the street.

{DSG}DarkRaven
07-29-2006, 02:08 PM
I've been driving with out of state plates and expired tabs for almost fourteen months now. I have insurance, but no title (one is finally on it's way in the mail, but the original got lost in the mail two years ago and I didn't realize I didn't have one). I'm toast if I get pulled over before I finally fix it next month, but really, police around here aren't that observant. Most small town cops are nice, as far as my experience goes.

In a big city like Philadelphia, when a bunch of cops are taking down a drug dealer, that's serious stuff. Potentially dangerous situations. And so when a cop spies someone raising his arm with a small object and pointing it at the police, well, I'm sure you can all understand the possibilities. I think it's a silly law, and arresting him when it's so new instead of warning him was pretty mean, but I understand it's purpose. Most likely, this sort of law is only a big deal in big cities, where cops in general are rougher because they deal with more crime on a more consistent basis. If inner city cops were nice, they'd probably also be dead more often.