PDA

View Full Version : Magic mountian is shutting down

ONeilcool
07-23-2006, 12:34 AM
I just recently heard that Six flags was selling out all of its themeparks.

source (http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/200606/139/)

I live in california kinda near the flagship park, Magic Mountain. There are 5 other parks throughout the country I don't know how many of you have heard of Six Flags.

This was personally one of my favorite themeparks, mostly because it isn't really a themepark. They never really had a big theme they were trying to promote, they just had a bunch of rollercoasters. Disneyland has like 2 half ass rollercoasters and a bunch of kiddy rides. Six flags has 17 of the biggest and fastest rollercoasters in the world and like 2 kiddy rides. To me, Six flags was way better

punkonjunk1024
07-23-2006, 12:54 AM
six flags is amazing... I was going at the end of the summer. Will the parks just be under different ownership?

ONeilcool
07-23-2006, 02:13 AM
Hopfully, either that or they are going to turn it into real estate, which is really ironic because six flags attracted people to live around it, now it might be shut down for more houses to be built.

teddyboy420
07-23-2006, 02:35 PM
Wow, I hadn't heard about this.

I live near Six Flags Great Adventure in New Jersey, they just opened the largest wooden roller coaster in the world that also happens to have the steepest drop anywhere. Great Adventure is hands down the best amusent park in the area, and we have a decent amount of em.

They have a great drive-thru animal park, supposedly the biggest in the country, not to mention all the great roller coasters there. They have the The Great American Scream machine, Batman (which is an open floor coaster), Batman and Robin (which goes from 0-65 in literally 1second), Viper (kind of lame really, just does a couple corkscrews) and a bunch other good ones that I can't remember the name of.

I think I would have heard if it was closing though, they are always advertising and sending out coupons and stuff, not to mention the soda cans that always have discounts. I still see them all regularly. Maybe it's just Magic Mountain that is closing? I hope they're not all closing, but I'm sure if Six Flags was planning on closing thier parks they'd probably (hopefully) be sold to someone that wants to keep the parks open. I've been going to Great Adventure since I was a baby, I'd really hate to see it close, I make it a point to go there at least once a year in the summer, and again in October for Fright Fest.

Darth Marsden
07-24-2006, 12:39 PM
I really wanted to go to those parks, so I REALLY hope they don't close down. ...and that's about all I can think to say about the matter. Except that it would really, REALLY suck if they were turned into apartments or something. SUCK.

teddyboy420
07-24-2006, 12:52 PM
Just got some more info on this...

Supposedly Six Flags is really hurtin and pretty far in debt, so they are looking to sell off some or most of thier parks, and Magic Mountain may be the one that dosen't get bought and kept open b/c the real estate is so expensive. Magic Mountain might just get chopped up and sold off for real estate development.

I don't know about the others, but from what I hear they'll probably stay open. Great Adventure especially isn't in any real danger of closing b/c it's one of the few Six Flags parks that makes really nice profits for Six Flags.

erm2003
07-24-2006, 03:08 PM
The news around here is Six Flags at Darien Lake is also looking for a new owner. I imagine that someone will scoop it up since it's one of the major concert venues in the Buffalo and Rochester area.

Cloral
07-24-2006, 03:11 PM
I think they overbuilt recently. There's been a flurry of new coasters recently, and I'm sure the attendance can't keep pace with all the new costs they incur. If someone else buys them and lets them settle for a while without any major new additions they'll probably start making a good profit again.

Plus, what the hell is up with that weird bald guy from the ads?

erm2003
07-24-2006, 03:15 PM
Plus, what the hell is up with that weird bald guy from the ads?

Or as my friends who work at Darien Lake tell me... What's up with the girl in the weird bald guy costume?

punkonjunk1024
07-24-2006, 04:27 PM
dude that wierd bald guy seriously freaks the hell out of me.

Pineconn
07-24-2006, 11:44 PM
Ah, the mysteries of advertising techniques. :)

Wow, I'm surprised that the Six Flags chain isn't doing well. A year or two ago, our Six Flags (I live in NE Ohio) got bought out and changed to Geauga (jee-aw-guh) Lake. (Before Six Flags came to my area 8 years ago or so, this same park was originally Geauga Lake.)

I assume the same will happen to your Six Flags; they'll probably get bought out and get renamed. I'm not 100% sure, though. :shrug: