PDA

View Full Version : Bridge type combo.

rocksfan13
07-21-2006, 12:53 PM
Instead of having to use layers and triggers and secrets to create the illusion of a bridge, why not have a combo type that is a bridge.

There could be specific combos that could be a bridge, working in conjunction with an overbridge combo and an underbridge combo. Placing the over and under combos acordingly would automatically draw the bridge combos on the correct layer.

Eliminating the use of tricks, secrets, and warps. This would leave room for other secrets and tricks in a room that an author might want to use.

Limzo
07-21-2006, 03:14 PM
I think that is a great idea.
If only Darknation read this forum...

Dark Nation
07-21-2006, 04:09 PM
Fat chance getting DN to come in here. He sucks.

rocksfan13
07-21-2006, 04:46 PM
I have faith in him. I'm sure he'll see this! LOL

Dlbrooks33
07-21-2006, 05:38 PM
why do all that when you could just have 2 new combo types:

Bridge (Horiz)
Bridge (Vert)

So then if you aren't already walking across, you go under if you aren't going in the proper direction of the bridge.

Limzo
07-22-2006, 09:06 AM
But what if you are walking Vertically under a Bridge Vert combo?
Then your idea wouldn't work Dlbrooks33; I feel Rocksfan's is better.
And I doubt Darknation will ever read this forum again

rocksfan13
07-22-2006, 10:30 AM
Bridge (Horiz)
Bridge (Vert)

Wouldn't work very well if your bridge took turns and had corners. It would leave the corner in limbo.

Freedom
07-22-2006, 11:10 AM
This is beyond me.
How would the combo know if you intended to walk over or under it?
And if you're not intending a two way (over-under) bridge, then what's the point?
I agree setting one up the old fashioned way requires triggers and secret combos, not allowing additional secrets to be easily used on the same screen, but isn't that all about quest design?
Isn't there enough screens and maps to work around that?

*b*
07-22-2006, 12:26 PM
a possible solution is to have flags that, when Link steps on them, forces him to be drawn on a sprite-layer just above the layer that the flags are on. like Secret Flags on layers, only Link would directly interact with these

Freedom
07-22-2006, 01:14 PM
Problem is though if he is going north his head hits the combo before the feet/hitbox does so there will be 8 pixils worth of problem.
This is even worse with Big Link, and using big link with a large hitbox would still have the problem.

Seems like a lot of headache just to save from having to set up a bridge system that is simple to set up in the first place, but then I'm no programmer, maybe a solution is easier than I'm thinking.

*b*
07-22-2006, 02:19 PM
What about flags called Trigger Bridge, and a combo simply called Bridge? you place them on the ground before you go onto the bridge, and all Bridge combos are displayed under Link. The effect would carry over into all the screens Link walks on, and is disabled when he walks over the next Trigger Bridge flag

Freedom
07-22-2006, 02:45 PM
You might be on to something there, a trigger that effects only bridges allowing other secrets to work on the screen as normal.
Could do some other cool little tricks with a combo type like that.

*b*
07-22-2006, 03:17 PM
allright, after thinking about it, we'd need two flags; Bridge-On and Bridge-Off. If you just triggered the Trigger bridge flag, you could walk back off of it, back in the direction you came from, and the bridge combo wouldn't work, because you disabled it. the Bridge-On/Off flags would have to be placed like this:

[X]=Off
[O]=On
[B]=Bridge Combo

[X][O][B][B][B][B][B][B][O][X]

that way, triggering the Off flag, the walking back onto the bridge would trigger the On flag immediatley

now, the Bridge combo itself would be sort of tricky to set up, possibly. idealy, the combo should be placed on layers, so that tiles under the bridge still show (like a rope bridge with gaps between the planks), however I suppose the easiest way to set it up would be like a overhead combo, which draws over Link when the combo isn't triggered, and under Link when it is

beefster09
07-22-2006, 09:33 PM
Lets make it easy, we just have flags/combo types for:
Layer 1/2 (only above layer 0)
Layer 2 1/2 (default)
Layer 4 1/2 (flying enemy height)
Layer 7 (above everything)

Have some affect enemies, so they walk over and under as well.

I said something like this with the depth topic or something.

rocksfan13
07-23-2006, 09:56 PM
Seems pretty simple here. But the question is, How easy can it be done?

Using flags was my next idea. Combos or flags, either would have worked. The only thing is by using flags you take away the space on the screen to use others. It's the same for combos too, but those can be layered.

Eh, either way, pretty fascinating to see how everyone agrees.