PDA

View Full Version : Great PS1 games?

punkonjunk1024
07-21-2006, 12:43 AM
Thread title. Recently gotten into PS1 emulation... I'd like to know some damn good PS1 games to play.
I've started on silent hill, and have all the resident evils. Already own an actual copy of Castlevania for PS1.

Time~Bandit
07-21-2006, 11:22 AM
Final Fantasy VII, VIII, IX....If your into RPGs these are great....

Brasel
07-21-2006, 11:29 AM
Chrono Cross, Castlevania SOTN, Final Fantasy Tactics, Metal Gear Solid

DarkDragoonX
07-21-2006, 03:10 PM
Alundra (very similar to Landstalker), Tales of Destiny 1/2, Parasite Eve, Galerians, Einhander, Wild Arms, Star Ocean: The Second Story, Vagrant Story, Brave Fencer Musashi, Vanguard Bandits, Silhouette Mirage.

And of course, Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete and Lunar: Eternal Blue Complete.

Daarkseid
07-21-2006, 05:34 PM
Only other I can think of would be Final Fantasy Origins, which has a slightly updated version of Final Fantasy I on it.

If you do get it, don't be a pussy and put down FF1 after trying it out. Actually play it on non-Easy mode. If you hate it anyway, this is a pre-emptive fuck you. FF1 is awesome.

DarkDragoonX
07-21-2006, 07:33 PM
Only other I can think of would be Final Fantasy Origins, which has a slightly updated version of Final Fantasy I on it.

If you do get it, don't be a pussy and put down FF1 after trying it out. Actually play it on non-Easy mode. If you hate it anyway, this is a pre-emptive fuck you. FF1 is awesome.

I agree. Final Fantasy Origins is most excellent... much better than the shitty GBA remake, which completely butchered the game.

punkonjunk1024
07-21-2006, 09:00 PM
I played the GBA remake, and loved it, besides how it slipped between grossly easy, and grossly difficult.. so if the PS1 game is better, I'll have to give it a shot.

Keep em comin'.

MottZilla
07-21-2006, 10:30 PM
Mega Man X4
Descent
Blood Omen Legacy of Kain
Soul Reaver Legacy of Kain
Rockman 1 - 6
Raiden Project
Street Fighter II Series
Super Street Fighter II Series
Street Fighter Alpha Series
Gradius Gaiden
Darius Gaiden

If I were at home I could list more.

ONeilcool
07-22-2006, 01:08 AM
Twisted Metal 2

there hasn't been a better one sence

redmage777
07-22-2006, 01:49 AM
If you are into castlevainia, Don't forget to grab the lesser-known Castlevainia Chronicles, Final Fantasy ANTHOLOGY(FF5 & FF6) and Final Fantasy Chonicles(FF4 & Chrono Trigger) are also good picks.

If you Get Star Ocean 2, Give playing Rena(The girl) an try and DO look up stratgy tips for it, If you go it on your own there is a huge chance you'll miss out on alot of the coolest things this game has to offer.

DarkDragoonX
07-22-2006, 03:18 AM
Originally Posted by punkonjunk1024
I played the GBA remake, and loved it, besides how it slipped between grossly easy, and grossly difficult.. so if the PS1 game is better, I'll have to give it a shot.

If you found the GBA version of FF1 to be in any way difficult, the real game (whether it be the NES or PS1 bersion) will eat you alive. It's much more challenging with the D&D-style spells per day system instead of the worthless MP system the GBA version used.

Originally Posted by redmage777
...Final Fantasy ANTHOLOGY(FF5 & FF6) and Final Fantasy Chonicles(FF4 & Chrono Trigger) are also good picks.

No, Final Fantasy Anthology and Chronicles are hideous. He's using a PS emulator, after all. He may as well pick up a SNES emulator to play those games, since the PS versions have load times that are best described as physically painful. Final Fantasy Origins is an exception as it has no load times of note, and the enhancements (shinier graphics, not having to buy 99 potions ONE AT A TIME before every fucking dungeon, characters automatically retargeting if the foe they were going to attack dies, etc.) are worthwhile. A few meager CG scenes and awful load times are NOT worthwhile. Stay the hell away from Anthology and Chronicles.

redmage777
07-22-2006, 11:37 AM
Do PS1 emeulateors suffer from the load times like the PS1 Does? I myself never had much luck with getting it to work. Come to think, I agree, Both those titles (Chonicles and Anthology) Did have painful load times... Chrono Trigger took about 9 seconds to load the Status screen.

But do take my advise about Star Ocean 2, The Cave of Trials is too much to miss, and after that you want to try the final boss in his toughest form. Both require you to speak to NCPs at a citrain times and places.

Warlock
07-22-2006, 03:13 PM
The Misadventures of Tron Bonne is actually a pretty good one (spin-off from Mega Man Legends). It has a bunch of different gameplay styles to it. Lot of "giant robots smashing stuff" which is always fun :)

Darth Marsden
07-23-2006, 04:14 AM
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned some of the 3D platformers like MediEvil. I enjoyed those.

MottZilla
07-23-2006, 06:41 PM
Do PS1 emeulateors suffer from the load times like the PS1 Does? I myself never had much luck with getting it to work. Come to think, I agree, Both those titles (Chonicles and Anthology) Did have painful load times... Chrono Trigger took about 9 seconds to load the Status screen.

Generally PS1 emulators load times are less and often extremely less than on the real system. This is esspecially true when you mount the ISO image on your Hard Disk. About CT and load times, it's actually because of some hacking emulation setup that it runs through. That's why load times are so horrifying.

Matteo
07-24-2006, 08:09 PM
Harvest Moon: Back to Nature is pretty damn good

Daarkseid
07-24-2006, 09:07 PM
Harvest Moon: Back to Nature is pretty damn good

The best incarnation of Harvest Moon ever.

Master Ghaleon
07-24-2006, 10:39 PM
The Lunar series if you want a good RPG ;)

dimepiece
07-26-2006, 05:03 PM
Resident Evil 3 Nemenis GREAT PHNKING MUSICA!!!

mrz84
07-27-2006, 04:32 PM
There isn't much I can add top the list everyone else here has given, but here goes:

Valkyrie Profile
Xenogears
Arc the Lad Collection
Legend of Dragoon (one of Dragon Omega's favs fyi)
Legen of Legaia
Ogre Battle
Tactics Ogre

and that's about it...

punkonjunk1024
07-28-2006, 02:20 PM
Tactics ogre for GBA was crazy good. Basically put FFT advance to shame upon shame. I'll have to check out the PS1 game.