PDA

View Full Version : Language a Widening Barrier to Health Care

Monica
07-20-2006, 06:53 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/hsn/20060720/hl_hsn/languageawideningbarriertohealthcare;_ylt=AgF7vwEZ iBAzitBKZSbsGl0DW7oF;_ylu=X3oDMTBhZDhxNDFzBHNlYwNt ZW5ld3M-

It was a pretty long article so I didn't copy it, but if there's any reason for America and any other country to have one official language, this would be it, wouldn't it? If you go to another country you should do your best to learn the language, because it would be better for everyone in the long run, when you're out in public, and it wouldn't cause problems for you or anyone else, especially medical misunderstandings...

Thoughts? ^_^

MacWeirdo42
07-20-2006, 10:40 PM
You know what, I'm just gonna come out and say it, it's downright un-American! Seriously, I mean we go all the hell around the world, we expect everyone everywhere to speak English, and yet we have this double standard where people coming into our country aren't allowed to expect us to speak their native tongue. What's up with that?

Daarkseid
07-20-2006, 10:51 PM
I say we just setup camps all over the country, into which non-english speakers would be sent.

They would then be ground up into what would be a very cheap, processed meat to be exported to the third world.

That'll solve our language problems, and incidentally, the world's food shortage. Fuck people who can't speak english, fuck them in their non-english speaking mouths.

MottZilla
07-20-2006, 11:33 PM
Haha. That's right. Learn english or die. I don't give a shit about spanish, french, etc. etc. English is the official language of air travel now, plus the world's only super power (US) is that. The USA already has an official language. It's english and has been so for over a hundred years. But now all a sudden people think it has to be declared or spelled out or something.

Monica
07-20-2006, 11:54 PM
I'm not understanding you guys... is that sarcasm?

Whoever thinks the country they go to should speak Emglish just for them is kinda arrogant... The point of travelling to places like Japan or France is to see culture. I've never been travelling to another country, but have you really seen Americans do that? O_O

MottZilla
07-21-2006, 12:02 AM
Ofcourse it's sarcasm in part. The way it works is simple. You come here, you do our customs, just the same as if we went somewhere. You can't go to a forgien country and expect them to speak your language for your convience. That means if you come to the USA, SPEAK ENGLISH OR GET THE FUCK OUT. Simple ain't it. Personally I'd like speaking languages like spanish in public to be grounds to beat the fuck out of someone. I absolutely hate to hear that blabber in my own country. It's sad the turn USA has taken. I imagine our veterans would be turning in their graves.

elise
07-21-2006, 05:36 AM
So you guys think that when your first familymembers came to the usa they already spoke english ?
If they had to leave again like you suggest where would you live now ? Cause for the most of you it wouldn't be in the USA :shrug:

Lilith
07-21-2006, 07:10 AM
I say we just setup camps all over the country, into which non-english speakers would be sent.

They would then be ground up into what would be a very cheap, processed meat to be exported to the third world.

That'll solve our language problems, and incidentally, the world's food shortage. Fuck people who can't speak english, fuck them in their non-english speaking mouths.

If I had massive juggs, I'd marry you

mikeron
07-21-2006, 08:09 AM
Fuck people who can't speak english, fuck them in their non-english speaking mouths.I think you're confusing can't and won't. Arnold Fucking Schwarzenegger speaks English.

vegeta1215
07-21-2006, 10:58 AM
So you guys think that when your first family members came to the usa they already spoke english ?

Maybe so, but the problem today is that a lot of people coming here refuse to learn English and expect to be accommodated no matter what language they speak.

MottZilla
07-21-2006, 10:25 PM
So you guys think that when your first familymembers came to the usa they already spoke english ?
If they had to leave again like you suggest where would you live now ? Cause for the most of you it wouldn't be in the USA :shrug:

I would be here still, so tough shit. ;) Like vegeta said, it's not the ones that are tring that we don't like, it's the ones that seem to outright refuse and expect us not to be annoyed by it.