PDA

View Full Version : Flip-Flop Dungeon?

idontknow
07-18-2006, 09:29 PM
Does anyone know how to make a dungeon that flip-flops, like the Stone Temple Tower in Majora's Mask? I mean, what could you put in rooms so that when you hit a switch, you could tell that the dungeon has turned upside down?

I'm not too sure how to stimulate this in a 2d zelda game, especially since dungeons are played using a sorta 'Bird's Eye View' where there's no cieling so i'm just wondering how you could have a cieling become & floor & a floor become the cieling when in such a game we don't really have a dungeon cieling.

WindStrike
07-19-2006, 05:23 PM
I suppose you could have upside down, transparent switches on layer 5 or 6. Otherwise, I can only suggest that you hit a switch, and it reverses the room (mirror image, rather). That's the closest thing I can think of, along with hitting a switch that turns room (for paths, mayhaps) or flipping the room (vertical mirror image). Of course, Link would stay in the same spot (Except for maybe room turning).

Pineconn
07-21-2006, 01:26 AM
You're not making a Majora's Mask remake, are you?

I suppose it's possible... It may take some tedious work to do it, though. You could try Wind's idea, which seems to be the better. You can always make the dungeon a sidescroller, like Zelda II; you'd have the floor and ceiling visible. Link triggers the switch, the whole screen turns 180 degrees, and vice versa. May not be the best idea. ;)

DarkFlameWolf
07-22-2006, 11:00 PM
Yay, managed to set aside some time on my second weekend at BOTraining to hit the computer lab and post!
If you want a good example of a dungeon that has high 'flip flop' properties, just wait for Lost Isle and take a good long hard look at level 2. :)

Pineconn
07-23-2006, 01:35 AM
Yeah, I'm willing to bet if there is a flip-flop dungeon is Lost Isle, it will be impressive. I'd like to see how it was done myself.

BTW, it's great to hear that you're spending your precious free time away from training to come to AGN! ;)