PDA

View Full Version : Memory Editing

Zam
07-17-2006, 06:17 PM
Does anyone know the addresses of your hearts, or how they are measured within memory(I.E three hearts with full life = 6??)..

Thanks for reading.

Rulehy
07-17-2006, 08:54 PM
What do you mean by that?

Nicholas Steel
07-17-2006, 11:48 PM
he is after making a cheating program i take it.

cbailey78
07-28-2006, 01:47 AM
I see that we have a newbie here! Lets take Zam to the ZC tutorials.

Nicholas Steel
07-28-2006, 03:44 AM
how on earth do the tutorials explain hacking zc and where what he wants is stored into memory???? think before you speak.

DarkDragon
07-28-2006, 05:13 AM
Grab yourself a debugger/disassembler (SoftICE is a fan favorite but overpowered for what you want to do) and do some investigations.

Thanks to virtual memory, no user process can randomly write bytes into another process's address space. Luckily Windows has support for programs like debuggers which want to do just that, which you may want to look in to.

Maybe you'll get lucky and the heart data is imbedded in the middle of a contiguous data structure on the heap containing obvious and constant byte patterns, which your cheat program can just search for; maybe you won't and you'll need to do massive reverse-engineering to find out how to extract a pointer from the ZC stack.

As a final note, in my opinion, if you have the time, skill, and patience needed to write a cheat program for ZC, I feel you should by all means be allowed to go knock yourself out. I warn you however that such sentiments may not reflect official policy.

Dark Nation
07-31-2006, 09:55 AM
Life is stored in memory as a word (2-byte section of memory). It's value can range from 0 to 65535. Each heart is 16 life points. So, if you have 3 full hearts, the value stored in memory is 48.

However, the section of memory used to store the game data (life, items collected, rupees, dungeon progress, etc.) is dynamically allocated each time a quest is loaded. So, if you get/make a program that lets you change/freeze your HP, it will only work until you leave ZC or load another quest.

MottZilla
08-03-2006, 05:22 PM
Dynamic allocation isn't an issue unless you are using one of those Make Your Own Trainer kits like Trainer Maker Kit. If you are using TMK, you're screwwed. It sucks anyway.

I don't know why he'd be that interested in making one other than to make one, cause I think I still have ones floating out there for you to do the same thing.

Nicholas Steel
08-03-2006, 11:39 PM
sorry bout that outburst cbailey78.