PDA

View Full Version : Zeldopoly

Stantzfield
07-13-2006, 10:39 AM
After making two basic quests just to get the hang of the program. I'm finally ready to make my first true quest. Zeldopoly. The dungeons will be shaped like the pieces of the Monopoly game. Moblins giving out free rupies will talk about that you have landed on GO and such. I'm debating whether or not I want to submit the two quests I've just made.

rocksfan13
07-13-2006, 10:55 AM
Good luck with that. The Quest DB is currently unmanned.

Otherwise, I would say yes. Why hold it back. If you still want to, you can post them in the Temp Quest Database here: http://www.armageddongames.net/showthread.php?t=91119

Stantzfield
07-13-2006, 11:02 AM
Ok, thanks

LinkMaster500
07-13-2006, 02:49 PM
You could make it more Monopoly thematic by having door repair charge strings that say things like, "Go directly to jail. Do not pass GO. Do not collect $200" as well as what you suggested with the free rupees.

Stantzfield
07-13-2006, 06:07 PM
Actually, for Door repairs, I have it saying stuff like you landed on Park Place or Marvin Gardens. Also some of the free rupies say stuff like the Moblin landing on your Pacific Avenue and such. The thing is, I want to have all of the major items be purchased being called "Deeds". The problem I've ran into is that there are only 15 slots availble for various shops. Is there any other way I can make the player purchase items other than creating a shop? I want it to be something like when in a dungeon and you enter the item room, the Old Man is there and he says he's selling the Deed to the Raft for 40 rupies.

LinkMaster500
07-14-2006, 01:09 AM
The only thing I can think of is to use a "Leave Money or Life" room, but with that, you could pay a Heart Container as well as cash.

Pineconn
07-14-2006, 01:22 AM
I posted this in the ZQuest Editor Help forum, but I'll say it again. You could technically use potion shops to have 30 shops... You can start the player out with the letter, but I believe you'd have to place the letter down to activate the shop, even if the player starts with it.

Stantzfield
07-14-2006, 10:02 AM
As stated by erm on the Quest Editor help, the Potion Shops still use the same 15 desiginated shops that normal shops use. I could try the Leave Money or Life room.

boram_c
07-16-2006, 12:33 PM
You could make it more Monopoly thematic by having door repair charge strings that say things like, "Go directly to jail. Do not pass GO. Do not collect $200" as well as what you suggested with the free rupees.
Shoelace's newest quest, Hero of Dreams, features a dungeon in which you must sneek around the guards to avoid capture. Getting caught means the guards warp you to jail, from where you have to work your way out of to complete the dungeon. What was funny was that some of the guards, upon catching the player, would say, "Ha ha! You do not pass go. You do not collect 200 rupees!"

If you need help in setting up the jail and the warps that "catch" the player and send him to jail, then ask Shoelace how he did it.

Stantzfield
07-16-2006, 09:44 PM
That's good idea. I'll have to look into that for a Jail Type area in the game. But I'm still having trouble with the Shop problem. In this game, I want to have the player have to buy every item as if they were title deeds like in the Monopoly game. Is there some kind of combo that prevents a player from accessing a part of the screen unless he/she pays so much rupies to enter? Until I can find a way to make the player buy all of the items, I'm putting this quest on hold and working on another one that doesn't rely so much on money. The main reason why this quest is so heavily based on rupies is because that's the theme of this quest.

Pineconn
07-17-2006, 12:17 PM
As stated by erm on the Quest Editor help, the Potion Shops still use the same 15 desiginated shops that normal shops use. I could try the Leave Money or Life room.

Right, right, right, my bad. I didn't check to see if there were separate shops for both types.

The thing with the guards' catching Link is simple. If you know how to use combo cycling, that is. You can go HERE (http://www.geocities.com/idontknowtutorial/help.txt) to learn how to combo cycle if you do not. When the guard turns, the direct warp will move (with combo cycling) with the line-of-sight of the guard. Both the guard's movement and the direct warp (which will send you to the "Ha, I caught you!" screen) have to be synchronized.

But I'm not sure on why this would be needed in a Monopoly game...

erm2003
07-17-2006, 01:28 PM
Right, right, right, my bad. I didn't check to see if there were separate shops for both types.

The thing with the guards' catching Link is simple. If you know how to use combo cycling, that is. You can go HERE (http://www.geocities.com/idontknowtutorial/help.txt) to learn how to combo cycle if you do not. When the guard turns, the direct warp will move (with combo cycling) with the line-of-sight of the guard. Both the guard's movement and the direct warp (which will send you to the "Ha, I caught you!" screen) have to be synchronized.

But I'm not sure on why this would be needed in a Monopoly game...

Go directly to jail. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200. That's why.

Dan Furst
07-17-2006, 04:19 PM
I know how you could make 45 "different" shops. Put each item that you want to buy in the 15 shops. Then, for the items you want to make unpurchasable, make the floor unwalkable in that area. Then put a table or something on layer 5 or 6 so it appears there is only 1 item you can buy.

Monopoly has 28 buyable deeds, so you could just put two items in each shop (the left and right sides, leave the middle blank). So let's say your first shop type has Mediterranean, blank, and Baltic. In one room, you can buy only Mediterranean. In the next, you can buy only Baltic. Etc.

With three "deeds" per shop, you'll need 9 and 1/3 shops. You could use the other 5 2/3 for other things, if needed.

erm2003
07-17-2006, 05:13 PM
I know how you could make 45 "different" shops. Put each item that you want to buy in the 15 shops. Then, for the items you want to make unpurchasable, make the floor unwalkable in that area. Then put a table or something on layer 5 or 6 so it appears there is only 1 item you can buy.

Monopoly has 28 buyable deeds, so you could just put two items in each shop (the left and right sides, leave the middle blank). So let's say your first shop type has Mediterranean, blank, and Baltic. In one room, you can buy only Mediterranean. In the next, you can buy only Baltic. Etc.

With three "deeds" per shop, you'll need 9 and 1/3 shops. You could use the other 5 2/3 for other things, if needed.

This is a great idea. It will work as long as you just create each shop room yourself to block out items that you don't want purchased right away and if you don't use screen 80 for your shops.

Pineconn
07-17-2006, 11:31 PM
Yeah, that's definitely an excellent idea. I suppose each different shop would be a different color of deed. Each shop would be either purple, light blue, fuchsia, orange, red, yellow, green, and blue (I believe that's the correct order). Of course, there are the railroads and utilities, too.

Stantzfield
07-18-2006, 12:07 AM
Hey, that's a great idea! I'll work that into how items are purchased. This way it'd be like if each Item were like part of a set. (Sets of 2 or 3).

Whenever I first ran into this problem, I put this quest aside and started working on another one that was bit more traditional and it's coming along fairly well so far. So when I'm finished with that one I'll get back to Zeldopoly.

Love For Fire
07-18-2006, 12:08 AM
Very simple way to get around the shop thing. Use a "Leave Money or Life" room... and simply place blocks (or any unwalkable combo) around the Heart Container, leaving the ONLY option to pay the rupees.