PDA

View Full Version : In need of good DS games

idontknow
07-08-2006, 09:02 PM
I got a nintendo DS last week and i'm in need of a good game or two. I have Mario Kart DS & the New Super Mario Bros. I need a couple more that are a lot of fun, perhaps one that's great to play via WiFi and another that's a good single-player game.

I was thinkin about getting Tetris DS, as a game that's good for WiFi play. If anyone owns it, please comment on it. Other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

{DSG}DarkRaven
07-08-2006, 10:04 PM
Here's a short list for you. I bolded the ones you already have.

Single Player
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
Mario And Luigi: Partners In Time

Multiplayer
Meteos
Tetris DS
Mario Kart DS
New Super Mario Bros.
Metroid Prime: Hunters (Could also fit under single player)
Advance Wars: Dual Strike

Masamune
07-08-2006, 10:30 PM
Kirby: Canvas Curse is the fucking bombdizzle.

War Lord
07-08-2006, 11:13 PM
I too reccomend Kirby Canvas Curse. I've had a blast with that.

And why the hell get tetris, it's been done out over and over and to pay that much for a game I've played out the ass before just seems silly for one ds specific game mode.

{DSG}DarkRaven
07-09-2006, 01:04 AM
Maybe he hasn't played it out of style, War Lord. Besides, you can always get it on the cheap if you know where to look. Not to mention that apart from some PC clone or ebay, this is about the only way to play decent tetris these days.

goKi
07-09-2006, 01:49 AM
If you can find a copy, take a look at Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney. I had a ton of fun with that game.

MottZilla
07-09-2006, 03:30 AM
I second Castlevania DS and Advance Wars Dual Strike. Both are great titles.

tink
07-09-2006, 04:51 AM
None of the above.

vegeta1215
07-09-2006, 11:17 AM
None of the above.

So what games would you recommend then?

Right now I have most of the games people have already named, and would recommend them all, except I can't really recommend Metroid Prime: Hunters unless you're in it mainly for the multiplayer (the single player campaign sucks)

Dechipher
07-09-2006, 12:10 PM
So what games would you recommend then?

Right now I have most of the games people have already named, and would recommend them all, except I can't really recommend Metroid Prime: Hunters unless you're in it mainly for the multiplayer (the single player campaign sucks)
And the multiplayer isn't that great either, I was severely disappointed.

MottZilla
07-09-2006, 01:28 PM
Ya, MPH multiplayer sucks. And now you can cheat online.

punkonjunk1024
07-09-2006, 04:20 PM
shit... what does cheating online entail? Not how, but what are they doing? I haven't been online in that game in a while...

I thoroughly enjoyed the campaign, too. The control style was alot of fun. It kinda lacked fleshed out detail... and original bosses, but otherwise it was cool.

MottZilla
07-09-2006, 05:21 PM
You can be invulnerable, infinite weapons, and even fly.

Vagla
07-09-2006, 07:59 PM
How are people doing these cheats? Ugh, I can't believe people see it necessary to cheat in these games. :(

Anyway, my list of suggested DS games:

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (Highly recommended)
Kirby: Canvas Curse (Highly recommended)
Mario Kart DS (Although online multiplayer is kinda lame now due to people who snake)
Meteos (Highly recommended)
Metroid Prime Hunters (Although if the multiplayer is now crappy due to cheating, you might want to avoid this)
Metroid Prime Pinball
Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan (Jpn) (Highly recommended)
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Highly recommended)
Sonic Rush (Although it's pretty different from the Genesis ones, in my opinion. More emphasis on speed, less on actually using your mind to get through levels ;))
Tetris DS (Online multiplayer is a blast. I'm not a big fan of the 4 player with items mode, though)
Tony Hawk's American Sk8land (I thought it was pretty fun, anyway, but I'd not played much Tony Hawk before this)
Trauma Center: Under the Knife
True Swing Golf

So yeah, those are the ones I recommend. I'm a huge fan of the DS, heh; it has a lot of fun games. Oh, and you might want to consider Brain Age and Big Brain Academy. The former is pretty cool, in my opinion, and I hear the latter is even better.

Hope that helps.

Kairyu
07-09-2006, 10:08 PM
I haven't seen any cheating on MP:H that I know of. Nobody invincible, invisible (without cloak), or floating (without using a valid method).
There is the problem of Sylux Tri-Bomb spamming and Trace Imperialist-Spamming, and unless you're Noxus, Sylux or Trace you've also got to worry about Samus Alt-spamming. So basically a lot of players like to spam you with cheap techniques.
If you don't mind having a lot of matches against that sort of player, you can get some real fun matches sometimes, even without using friend/rival codes. If you like FPS games and the Metroid Prime series, might as well go for it. Otherwise, it may not be your thing.

Anyway, the only DS game I'd recommend right now as a 'must-own' is Advance Wars DS, because it's just that awesome.
I'd strongly recommend Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow as a platformer, and if you like Mario Kart the DS game is pretty good.
If you really like SMB, go for New Super Mario Bros., otherwise it's a bit short.

punkonjunk1024
07-10-2006, 12:47 AM
I don't like FPS's too much, but god, I love MP games.
And I loved the versatility of the characters in that one, compared to... the few other FPS's I've played. Goldeneye would be an example. Good game, no character versatility.

And yes, I imperialist spam with trace, which is easily thwarted by someone who pays attention. 4 and 5 stars take me down, easy. Spamming has it's weakness. I basically use trace's alt form (GOD THAT THING DOES DAMAGE, and it's fast) and the imperialist. It freakin rules.

Dechipher
07-10-2006, 01:56 PM
Whatever happened to "I shoot you you shoot me we have fun?"
This is why I hate MPH. I just want to have some fun, I don't care about who wins, but when I dont' even get a chance to play because assholes insist on winning regardless of how, I stop playing these games.

teddyboy420
07-15-2006, 02:23 PM
You already have two of the best DS games in Mario Kart DS and NSMB, so I'll throw out a couple great DS games that either my wife or I (sometimes both) have played and liked. Some are great singleplayer, while some are great multiplayer games, and of course some are both....

* Mario & Luigi Partners in Time (single) - this is a GREAT single player RPG for the DS that really puts the dual screens to good use through some really neat puzzles and lasts surprisngly long for a handheld RPG. If you're looking for a really good RPG on the DS to hold you over til FFIII, this is the one to get.

* Yoshi Touch and Go (single) - this is, IMO (and my wifes) one the BEST, and most underated, and overlooked game for the DS. It is a platformer with a twist (the twist being the touch screen is used extensively and isn't just tacked on functionality) that has delivered countless hours of fun for my wife. While I really enjoy the game, my wife absolutely ADORES this game and has played it for at least 100 hours, and is now way better at it than I am (which has never happened before ;) )

Princess Peach (single) - this is another good platformer that IMO is somewhat under-rated in the media. It isn't as good as NSMB, but is deinately worth the price of admission

Tetris DS (single + multi) - It's old school Tetris w/ a couple of new modes of play, a MUST HAVE for any DS collection. Need I say more?

Pokemon Trozei (single + multi) - This is another game that my wife and I both really enjoy that has gotten somewhat of a bad rap from the gaming press. While it certainly isn't the deepest puzzle game out there, it will none-the-less provide hours and hours of fun. Gotta catch em all ;)

Advance Wars DS - The best strategy game on the DS hands down. If you are into strategy games you should give this a shot, there are literally hundreds of units to play around with.

There have been many other games we've tried and have liked, but the ones listed above are the ones we really like. IMO, they are all must haves for any DS collection, enjoy.