PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone care to watch the World Cup this year?

me2
07-05-2006, 05:12 PM
I did. I actually went to Germany for two weeks to watch it. We didn't have tickets, but we did watch the games on 50ft big screens outside of the stadiums. Those things were PACKED. Berlin's public viewing area had 6 big screens 2 blocks apart, from the Brandonburg Gate to that tall statue thing a mile away. The capacity was 400,000. They had to add more screens because everyday there was almost a million people there. The fans are the best part. In Stuttgart, we saw the Dutch fill the city with orange (the jersey color) and throw giant inflatable penises around. The english were hilarious.

But, as soon as the US got knocked out, no one cared anymore. Why? Soccer is the world's sport. I would have loved to see the US be as enthusiastic as the english, germans, brazilians, or even the togoians (togoeze?). When I told people why I went to Germany, some people asked what the World Cup was. D:

So, did anyone else watch it this year? What were some of the best parts? Surprises? I'm just curious because no one seems to care anymore in the US.

War Lord
07-05-2006, 07:57 PM
I didn't watch it, and the only reason I knew it was going on was because I was watching ESPN news for something else.

Americans don't care about soccer for the most part. That's the rest of the worlds sport.
I just don't find it was interesting as basketball or football.

Master Ghaleon
07-05-2006, 08:00 PM
I watched some of it when I was passing kidney stones lol

Rainman
07-05-2006, 08:21 PM
I watched a couple games. I actually find soccer exciting unlike most americans apparently. Of course, I have considerable experience in the sport so it doesn't just look like some guys kicking a ball around.

goKi
07-05-2006, 09:02 PM
Australia got pretty wrapped up in it until we got robbed in the 93rd minute against Italy.

biggiy05
07-05-2006, 10:36 PM
I watched a couple games. I actually find soccer exciting unlike most americans apparently. Of course, I have considerable experience in the sport so it doesn't just look like some guys kicking a ball around.

I played until I was forced to quit in the winter of 2001 so a good six or seven years. I still play with friends sometimes but haven't in a while because of my breathing.

I missed alot of the games because of doctor's appointments and work but caught a few.

KJAZZ
07-06-2006, 01:50 AM
I really hate soccer. Thus, I did not partake in watching of said sport.

Gerudo
07-06-2006, 02:04 AM
i wonder why we americans call the sport "football" when obviously it is almost always being touched with the hands.

guess we have to be different...

some people asked what the World Cup was. D:i hope you smashed their face in with a soccer ball. thats shameful.