PDA

View Full Version : The First Level Done, Demo inside

Shoelace
07-02-2006, 12:42 AM
Okay, I am done with the first level of Neofirst. Since this is a public game, I provided a demo that is unpassworded for you guys to enjoy. Here are a few details for the level:

-Since there is no overworld at this time, I put the sword in the first screen so you can go about the level with the sword.

-The enemy spawns are missed up, and the boomerang sprites aren't made yet. I didn't want to mess with any of those since my job was solely the first level and I didn't want to mess previous work.

-I started everyone with 5 hearts because of the difficultly of the level. I was told to make it as hard as a medium level, so that is what I did.

-I put leevers in the level because ST said he will make them into vines. The reason is because it is like the custom boss (Which is a huge plant) is attacking you throughout the level.

-Also, the mini boss is a leever 3. The tiles aren't made for him yet. To beat him easy, use the hookshot to freeze him and then hit him with your sword.

-The demo ends at a plain screen. The custom boss will be in the screen above. However, since I am not making the custom boss I left it up that person to make the surrounding. So basically when you put the boss key in the boss keyhole, you are done.

-Also, you can't save the quest. There will be safe points added later, but I am not sure what ST will be using for that, or the system he will be using, so I left it out. That means if you want to play this through right now, you have to play through it in one play.

-The map is not made yet, sorry. Also, if is still a little hard for you, I suggest opening it up on zquest and adding cheats, to help you refill life and such. :P

Here is the demo:

http://www.mbwonline.x10hosting.com/NeoFirst.zip

Hope you guys like the puzzles I have provided. I was told to make this level like Revenge II, and was given plans of the level structure by LTM. However, it wasn't my style I found out. I tried to make it like that, but I am a puzzle junkie. So it is a mix of everything, hopefully you guys like it because I am at a point where I like it and I don't like it at the same time. However, the puzzles will surprise you. Thanks again.

--Shoelace

Nicholas Steel
07-02-2006, 01:07 AM
uh... wasnt petoe/peteo and bh4/st doing this? are you an accomplice?

Freedom
07-02-2006, 01:43 AM
cool, downloading now, thanks for sharing. :)

Master_of_Power
07-02-2006, 02:22 PM
Er... download doesn't work? :confused:

Whats it zipped with? it won't unzip for me :(

Shoelace
07-02-2006, 02:42 PM
uh... wasnt petoe/peteo and bh4/st doing this? are you an accomplice?

As far as I know, Peteo is putting all of his time into his game and of course The Lost Isle. But yes, ShadowTiger is in charge of the whole thing. I was just ahead of the first level. :P

Anyways, Master of Power... Umm... I don't know what is wrong. The zip file was done with the normal winzip, that I do with all of my things. Maybe x10hosting.com's server went down. That is the only thing I could think of if you couldn't download it.

Anyways, I hope you guys enjoy.

Freedom
07-02-2006, 03:15 PM
The zip worked fine for me.
I played all the way up the the colored (season) blocks, which stumped me and it was late and I was tired.... wah wah wah...
I liked it. ;)

Shoelace
07-02-2006, 03:41 PM
Maybe, I should make that block puzzle a little more obivious. Winter is Blue, Spring is Light Green, Summer is Dark Green, and Autumn is Orange.

Freedom
07-02-2006, 03:47 PM
Nah, it was just me, I kept choosing autumn second, like I said, I was tired.

Is the map supposed to work?
I got it but it changed nothing.

EDIT, just read above about the map.... I must still be tired. ;)

Shoelace
07-02-2006, 03:52 PM
No, I didn't make the map of the level yet. Because I am not sure what ST wants it to look like, and where the boss will be.

Anyways, so far my brother, Elise, Sephiroth, and you had trouble with the block puzzle. So maybe, I could make it the blocks have symbols on them to make them look like the right seasons.

ShadowTiger
07-02-2006, 03:53 PM
Please acknowledge this post with the mindset that I'm not ignoring anything anyone here has said or done, but that I -really- need to stress this above all else that can be said.

This is AGN'S QUEST. It's your quest too! ALL of you have a say in what goes on. Seriously, feel free to make as many polls as you want in this forum. If you have an idea, I'd love nothing more than to see it and discuss it with all of you. My role is organization, not ownership. :p I plan on putting "Armageddon Games And the Zelda Classic Staff" as the author in the header, not "ShadowTiger, Shoelace," etc. (Though everyone will be in a credits area in the end, or available through a "hub" on map 1.)

Thus, if you have a suggestion regarding Level 1, please let us know. Read up on everything that's already been said. It'd be nice if every new idea could be a thread of its own though. Makes it easier to organize. ;)

Anyway, MAJOR amounts of kudos to Shoelace for his astonishing and grandiose work on level 1. It was better than anything I could've ever even imagined, much less slapped down myself. (and I mean every single word of that, dammit. :blah: )

I've already placed down four save points:

Map 9 Screen 3D
Map 9 Screen 4A
Map 9 Screen 63
Map 9 Screen 55

I should also add a few health / magic restoration points here and there. I've already got one on Map 9 Screen 3D. I've added a little bit more to the miniboss, but nothing major.

EDIT: ... Oh. ... ... Look, thread activity. < <. lol. Okay, Shoelace, if you need it back, I'll get on IRC. ;)

EDIt2: ... Oh, ... you know what you can do? You still have the version, obviously, so if you want to construct a map or two, you have the technology. :thumbsup: Plus, I have nooo idea how you did the maps for HoD. If you actually drew all of those, I'd eat my own hat. (I probably need to go out and buy some ketchup. :sweat: )

Freedom
07-02-2006, 04:08 PM
I have a comment then. ;)

Looking at the amount that's been done and the amount of tile pages/tilespace used I could see you running into problems before this thing is completed, not to mention the size it will be when it is completed. ;)

ShadowTiger
07-02-2006, 04:14 PM
Yeah, that's definitely one issue I'm looking at. Thankfully, we can export the Tileset from the Quest itself, and the tileset can be organized into something much lighter than the quest itself. It'll still have all the Combo Aliases and everything, but without those fatty bosses and high calorie maps and such.

In the future though, I do sort of want to cram as much as I can into all the maps as possible. This includes layers, so we really need to pack all layers into all the space that went unused in the earlier maps, and fill up upwards.

elise
07-02-2006, 06:07 PM
Anyways, so far my brother, Elise, Sephiroth, and you had trouble with the block puzzle. So maybe, I could make it the blocks have symbols on them to make them look like the right seasons.No just leave it this way , I found the solution when I started to use my brain ;)
Nothing wrong with using it every now and then , but while I type this it just popped in my head are there many colorblind people that can't see the different colors :tongue: :D I really don't know maybe it can be a problem for them :shrug: :D

ShadowTiger
07-02-2006, 06:13 PM
Heh. Good point, Elise. :p I'll draw some symbols onto the blocks when I can.

Also, that last block puzzle (Where you push all those statues into the holes to make a path, ... ... DAYAMN Shoelace! XD Are you a bloody madman? :blah: The seasons puzzle was dead obvious to me on the first try, but I wasn't able to get that statue puzzle at all! Post a solution or something. :p ( www.moviegear.com to animate it.

elise
07-02-2006, 06:18 PM
make a path on the left side up :tongue:
don't do it on the rightside :D

ShadowTiger
07-02-2006, 06:39 PM
Yeah, that's what I was doing, but I always came up short. . ., lol. Okay. Let's see what I did. I pretty much ignored the blocks on the right side of the screen, and focused on the statues on the left. I used them all, except for the one stuck in the corner, and the ones that you can't extract from near a pit. Sacrificing one statue for another didn't seem prime, but that's all I could see to do.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b117/BH4/b67af39a.gif

EDIT: ... ... Boy, you know, it's a good thing I posted all of this, as if I hadn't, murphy's law wouldn't have kicked in, and the answer wouldn't have kicked me in the bloody shins. lol. Kinda funny how that works. :p

EDIT: OH! Shoelace! On the screen directly below that one, AS WELL as the screen directly to its right, (Of the statue puzzle screen shown above.) Can we turn on Permanent Secrets? I don't like burning the bushes over and over again lol. I'm also going to put in a few health and magic stations here and there, and possibly pump up the enemy count or make it harder to navigate the temple. Any recommendations?

elise
07-02-2006, 06:53 PM
It's a test quest don't make it a quest nobody can get through if they aren't that good in fighting , this is level 1 not nine :)

ShadowTiger
07-02-2006, 07:00 PM
There are only three levels. :p Well, I do plan on putting in more save points so people can "work for it" without having lost all that much (If anything) if they die suddenly. Part of a quests' difficulty lies in the frustration of having to go back and forth without any means of transport between the two places, which especially includes dying in a place far away, and having to walk all the way back. If there are frequently save points, this eliminates like, half the frustration factor right there. I plan on having quite a few health stations around as well. It really shouldn't be that difficult.

I mean, the miniboss will consist of leevers. Only leevers. No damage combos. You'll get a big shock with the Leever 3, but it'll DEFINITELY be manageable, as it's primarily a "suspense-based" boss, (I just ran through it. Works like a charm.) and he won't damage you too badly. I also stocked fairies in the trees if you need them.

Nicholas Steel
07-02-2006, 07:33 PM
As far as I know, Peteo is putting all of his time into his game and of course The Lost Isle. But yes, ShadowTiger is in charge of the whole thing. I was just ahead of the first level. :P

Anyways, Master of Power... Umm... I don't know what is wrong. The zip file was done with the normal winzip, that I do with all of my things. Maybe x10hosting.com's server went down. That is the only thing I could think of if you couldn't download it.

Anyways, I hope you guys enjoy.

winzip 10 has support for compression formats not availible in earlier versions of winzip... thus one of these formats may have been used.

(im gonna read the whole thread now and edit this... maybe not heh)

Shoelace
07-02-2006, 07:47 PM
Hey ST in the picture was is there no details in the grass, did you turn the layer off? Anyways, the left way is the way to go. Maybe you should move the bottom left tree so you can see that hole. That is the hole you need to push the statue in to go to the next screen.

Also, you said you want to increase the enemies in the level and such. In my opinion it actually needs to be lowered in some parts. I still think the leever 3 is a bad idea, however this is just me.

Also, in the screen below the one you posted, you can make it so the red trees stay permament. I wouldn't do it on the screen to the right, since you need four triggers to open the gate. And if you put it on permament the reds will be gone but the gate will be closed.

ShadowTiger
07-02-2006, 09:57 PM
Hey ST in the picture was is there no details in the grass, did you turn the layer off? Anyways, the left way is the way to go. Maybe you should move the bottom left tree so you can see that hole. That is the hole you need to push the statue in to go to the next screen.Yeah, in order to see the statues in ZQuest, I had to remove some layers temporarily. (Just clicked 'em off. No biggie.) Yeah, I got the puzzle. :p Thank you. ^^; I added in an edit to let people know I got it. Again, Murphy's law. ;-p

Also, you said you want to increase the enemies in the level and such. In my opinion it actually needs to be lowered in some parts. I still think the leever 3 is a bad idea, however this is just me. I faced down the miniboss, and found it far too easy. It's just one new enemy. You have diagonal movement, while it doesn't. You have the ability to stun it, while all it has is speedy movement. You have SOOOO Many advantages over it. I added a few more screens to the miniboss. I want to see just how much people can handle. I also want it known that you can face the end boss Of L1 at any time, rather than just after you finish the rest of L1. It can be difficult, I guess. Not hellishly, but .. not easy.

Also, in the screen below the one you posted, you can make it so the red trees stay permament. I wouldn't do it on the screen to the right, since you need four triggers to open the gate. And if you put it on permament the reds will be gone but the gate will be closed.Ah. Thanks. I definitely want to see burned bushes stay down for the count, except if they're involving a puzzle. I may also draw some burnt trees. Usually, it's the brown leaves that are burnable, rather than red leaves. Just me thinking aloud though.

Shoelace
07-03-2006, 01:50 AM
I still think the leever 3 is too hard since it takes two hearts. I made it so you have 5 hearts in the level just to make it easier. How many hearts will you have when you get to the 1st level? Anyways, I still think the enemy count shouldn't be increased, and I will stand by that because that is my honest opinion.

Anyways, what do you mean you can get to the boss without going through the level? I am really confused on that point. How would you get the hookshot and red candle?

Also, go right ahead and change the red leaves and add symbols on the blocks. Thanks. :P

By the way, I guess I didn't know Murphy's Law. lol

ShadowTiger
07-03-2006, 09:36 AM
I also want it known that you can face the end boss Of L1 at any time, rather than just after you finish the rest of L1. It can be difficult, I guess. Not hellishly, but .. not easy.Whoops. I meant that after you finish Level 1, you can face the boss at any time, rather than just immediately when you actually reach the boss. Like, you can leave, gather up heart containers and such, strengthen yourself up for a huge boss, etc. I mean a warp spawns there anyway, so you may as well. Perhaps I'll even place a burnable path in the forest so you don't have to go through the three-screen maze again.

koopa
07-03-2006, 01:22 PM
Shoelace ... Shadowtiger ... everyone else involved ... this is
ABSOLUTELY AMAZING !

Really, you should get a job at Nintendo :)

Anyway, my first impression was absolutely overwhelming ... the season puzzle, the block holes, 101 things to do with a hookshot (ok, that name's my invention, but it is that much fun).

Great work, all of you!

ShadowTiger
07-04-2006, 12:00 PM
Guys. We have a midi! :D I've reviewed all of the midis that have been exhibited so far, and I think This One (http://www.filespace.org/tdrisko/MD1999_Pinneca2.zip) is the best. It's by Mighty Darknut, made from scratch, I think. It's called Pinneca. It's the closest thing to the Castlevania 64 Dungeon midi I could find.

I'll use all the other midis you've submitted elsewhere though, I assure you. ;) Some of them are just too good to leave out. :naughty:

rocksfan13
07-04-2006, 12:29 PM
If I'm not mistaken, this is the one you're using for the overworld? Or is it for the 1st dungeon? Sounds good either way though, Josh.

ShadowTiger
07-04-2006, 04:16 PM
Thanks. .. er .. thanks Mighty Darknut, not me. :p It's his Midi. This midi will belong to the Forest temple, as I'd mentioned.

redmage777
07-05-2006, 01:26 AM
I'm not to intrested in playing the game before its compleation, but is I might make a comment bsed on what I've read. "Maps not being there because the final versions not ready?" Coulden't a Generic Map work for a Demo if the final version isn't ready yet? It would be helpful, and few people would be disapointed if a better version replaces it in the final cut.

Shoelace
07-05-2006, 03:28 AM
Well the thing is, I didn't mean for what I made to be a demo. I just made the level the best I could to fit the vision, and then gave it to ST. ST told me in chat that I should publicly release it, since it is a public game of AGN's. So that is what I did. That is why there were a lot of things out of place. If it was real demo, I would make everything including the maps polished.

Anyways, I am glad that everyone likes the level. I hope my part in Neofirst makes the game great. I have to go back to my quests now, so I will be unable to help with the next level, but I will try to post my advice and anything anyone needs. I don't know when the 3rd level will take place, but I'll see if I am busy at that time.

Thanks again.

--Shoelace

rocksfan13
07-06-2006, 01:11 PM
Shoe, I just got done with Neo. Very nicely done. But there are some issues.

Some overheads that don't look right and what happened to the boomerangs that the goriyas throw? It looks like they're just standing pointing at you. Also some of the messages don't last quite long enough to finish reading. Also I'm not a fan of Z3 animation but the animation looks really weird when you walk diagonally.

Other than that, very well done A+ my friend. :thumbsup:

ShadowTiger
07-06-2006, 08:54 PM
I've fixed those issues and added a few screens or modified them. I've fixed (I think all of..) the issues people have stated here. I just need space to upload it. ^^;'

After this, I'm going to try to work on the overworld. I REALLY hope I can get at LEAST 1/4 of it done. I hate how I'm a slow worker...

Sir_Johnamus
07-06-2006, 09:52 PM
I could do part of it, just let me know if this is OK.

rocksfan13
07-06-2006, 11:46 PM
Why don't you just uplaod it as an attachment on ZCF, Josh.

ShadowTiger
07-07-2006, 05:57 PM
Aww, thanks for the offer. I know, Elise/Freedom's crew ... all great fellows, kind of 'em to lend out their space when necessary. I just got some of my own webspace so I won't have to trouble anyone else though. Thanks to Sephiroth for the space.

NeoFirst, 7/7/06 (http://users.sephiroth.ws/ST/zc/NeoFirst_7_7_06.qst).

Now I just have to find my map. > <. I'm up to designing the overworld by hand from what I'd designed, but I can't find it. It's the most valuable piece of looseleaf paper I've owned in several years. :blah:

jman2050
07-07-2006, 08:22 PM
I'll check this out when I have the time. I may havetrouble working on ZC, but I still have the responsibility of knowing whether this will be a worthy pack-in.

erm2003
07-08-2006, 02:15 AM
I played through part of the demo and it's looking good! Thanks to everyone who is putting in a lot of time and energy into this project.

I do have one question though. On the first screen when I went on the right tile, after the string was finished I was warped to a room that was all back with maybe 4 Keese and I couldn't move. Just not sure if there is something that wasn't seen yet but I am using 10b and everything else was fine so far.

ShadowTiger
07-08-2006, 10:12 PM
Keep in mind that these aren't demos. It's just "Progress" uploaded whenever I'm asked to by anyone in particular. This quest will never be passworded, and anything within it is fair game to anyone, including any of the bugs. It just so happens that several minutes after I uploaded and linked to the version shown right there, I fixed that bug. I'm still adding new things every day.

I should probably stick some kind of "Bug" tile in the middle of places that I haven't tested or fixed yet. What do you think? Anyone can see the bug icon, and know that the area is either not finished yet, or people know about a bug or two in that area but I haven't fixed it yet. Thoughts? (A minor issue, ... but still.)

rocksfan13
07-09-2006, 01:19 PM
I don't see the harm in it, Josh. It would just serve as a heads up to "Rember this hasn't been tested yet" kind thing.

bluedeath
07-10-2006, 06:21 PM
im using 2.10 beta 10 just wondering if i am using the right version because when i play it all the tiles are all messed around with and there is nothing but black and a whole whack of random tiles can somone tell me wtf@ is going on!

bluedeath
07-10-2006, 06:22 PM
im using 2.10 beta 10 just wondering if i am using the right version because when i play it all the tiles are all messed around with and there is nothing but black and a whole whack of random tiles can somone tell me wtf@ is going on!
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

ShadowTiger
07-10-2006, 08:47 PM
Aww, you didn't have to double-post to stress that. =/ Just edit the ... uh ... ... smilies into your previous post next time. Double posting on AGN is frowned upon, as is with most communities.

Anyway, I'd recommend that you download Beta 10b as well as Beta 10. I'll get you the link.

EDIT: ... all links are broken. I have to save file space, after all. :rolleyes:

Here's (http://users.sephiroth.ws/ST/zc/NeoFirstb12c_TilesetBuilding_1.qst) a fairly good link. It's what I have of the tileset at the moment.

Arth99
08-24-2006, 08:58 AM
~Deleted~