PDA

View Full Version : Would I be able to do this?

unclet
06-27-2006, 12:59 PM
It seems only 15 game-save profiles can be stored at one time. Basically, only 15 (registered names) can be assigned at one time. I would like to be able to store one game-save profile for each individual custom quest (QST) file which is available (about 500+ quests). Since I can not create 500+ registered names, then I am thinking of doing something else....

My idea:
======
I would install the ZeldaClassic software, then I would start the "zelda-w.exe" application, delete all registered names, then create one register name only (lets call it "UNCLET"). After loading a custom quest and playing it a bit, I would then save the game and exit. If I now stored the "zc.sav" file (which is generated by the "zelda-w.exe" application), then would I be saving all the information relating to the "saved game" for the custom quest I was just playing?

Basically, if I had a "zc.sav" file stored for each custom quest, then it seems I would be able to copy a stored "zc.sav" file back into the ZeldaClassic install directory, start the custom quest (which is related to that "zc.sav" file) and be able to continue where I left off in that particular custom quest.

Would this work?

Luigi
06-27-2006, 02:19 PM
It seems only 15 game-save profiles can be stored at one time. Basically, only 15 (registered names) can be assigned at one time. I would like to be able to store one game-save profile for each individual custom quest (QST) file which is available (about 500+ quests). Since I can not create 500+ registered names, then I am thinking of doing something else....

My idea:
======
I would install the ZeldaClassic software, then I would start the "zelda-w.exe" application, delete all registered names, then create one register name only (lets call it "UNCLET"). After loading a custom quest and playing it a bit, I would then save the game and exit. If I now stored the "zc.sav" file (which is generated by the "zelda-w.exe" application), then would I be saving all the information relating to the "saved game" for the custom quest I was just playing?

Basically, if I had a "zc.sav" file stored for each custom quest, then it seems I would be able to copy a stored "zc.sav" file back into the ZeldaClassic install directory, start the custom quest (which is related to that "zc.sav" file) and be able to continue where I left off in that particular custom quest.

Would this work?

Probably not - you can only play one quest on every 'player', and the 15-player limit is hardcoded into the program itself - in other words, replacing the zc.sav file each time would simply erase your progress in every quest that you play.

BTW, you appear to be confusing ZC with an emulator - which it's not. Am I correct?

Cloral
06-27-2006, 03:00 PM
Actually, I think that would work. The zc.sav file should contain all the save game data, so if you move them in and out of the ZC directory, it should only see the saved games in that particular instance of zc.sav.

Of course, the best way to know is to go ahead and try it.

unclet
06-27-2006, 03:00 PM
I only plan on ever using one registered name slot only, so having a 15 name limit is no problem. I am confused regarding your statement about replacing the "zc.sav" file would erase my progress .... since I am saving copies of each "zc.sav" file for each custom quest I played.

Anyway, let me provide a better explanation ...... and then let me know if it should work or not...... thanks for being patient with this ...

When I first install ZC, I would start the "zelda-w.exe" application and delete all registered names, then I would register only "one" name slot only (ex: UNCLET).

I would now select the "UNCLET" slot and will associate a custom quest with it (ex: LinksRetirement3 quest), then I could play the custom quest, save the progress and exit the application. I would then save the current "zc.sav" file to another harddrive location and will remember that this particular "zc.sav" file is related to the "LinksRetirement3" custom quest only.

After that, if I wanted to start another new custom quest (BS1stQuest), I would simply start the "zelda-w.exe" application and select the same "UNCLET" slot but I will associate the "BS1stQuest" custom quest with it (which should overwrite the current "zc.sav" file located in the ZC install directory..... which is alright since I have a copy stored on my harddrive). I could then play the "BS1stQuest" custom quest no problem.

Finally, if I wanted to "resume" play with the "LinksRetirement3" custom quest, then I would simply start the "zelda-w.exe" application and select the same "UNCLET" slot and associate the "LinksRetirement3 " custom quest with it and then overwrite the "zc.sav" file (located in the ZC install directory) with the "zc.sav" file I previously stored (which is related to "LinksRetirement3"). Finally, I would then select the UNCLET slot to start playing "LinksRetirement3" once again from where it was last saved ......

Does this make more sense? Should it work? As long as the "zc.sav" file is the only file which stores the current saved game states then it seems like it should work. I would only ever have an "UNCLET" game slot created and would simply be switching the appropriate "zc.sav" files I have stored back and forth depending on the custom quest which is requested to be played.

PS: I know this is not an emulator, but since this application is super cool (and I only discovered it a few days ago), I would like to find a way to allow people to enjoy multiple quests on their arcade cabinets somehow ..... :>)

Luigi
06-27-2006, 03:06 PM
OK, OK, I apologise - this will work, but it's VERY time-consuming... I certainly would'nt want to do it.

Why would you want to play lots of quests at the same time, anyway? Some of them are quite big, you know...

unclet
06-27-2006, 03:09 PM
OK, OK, I apologise - this will work, but it's VERY time-consuming... I certainly would'nt want to do it.

Why would you want to play lots of quests at the same time, anyway? Some of them are quite big, you know...

Not that I would like to play multiple quests at the same time, but since many people play on my arcade machine (friends, family, etc...) then any of them can come over and play Zelda (any quest) and then be able to come back another day and restart from where they left off.

Luigi
06-27-2006, 03:13 PM
An arcade machine? Like Space Invaders?

Dark Nation
06-27-2006, 03:26 PM
Or...

You could do....

zelda-w -savefile filename

This will use a savefile with any name you wish.

So, you could issue the command...

zelda-w -d -savefile tests.sav
and it would create a tests.sav file and use that for your savegames

Exit the program and issue...
zelda-w -d -savefile custom.sav
and it would create a custom.sav file and use that for your savegames, completely ignoring tests.sav (and zc.sav as well)

This feature is in 10b, I believe.

unclet
06-27-2006, 04:22 PM
None of those command line parameters are listed in the FAQ ..... are there any more command line parameters (which are not in the FAQ) which you can share? Perhaps there is a command line parameter which displays all the available command line parameters (ie: "zelda-w /help" , "zelda-w -?" or something like this)

Questions:

1) You indicated "zelda-w -savefile (filename)" as the format, however, your two examples use an additional "-d" parameter. Do I need the "-d"? What does the "-d" do?

2) So just to be sure ...... I should perform the "zelda-w -savefile (filename)" command "before" starting up the "zelda-w.exe" application, so when I finally start the "zelda-w.exe" then it will use the (filename) as the file to save states into ... correct?

3) I originally went to "http://www.zeldaclassic.com/" and went to the download section get obtain my current ZC version of 2.10 ...... is this the same version which you are referring to? If not, where does one get the beta versions from ..... and is the 2.10b version somewhat stable yet?

4) Does the "xxx.sav" file contents indicate which quest (QST) file it is related to as well as the location of the quest (QST) file on my harddrive? If so, then I could simply keep all of the "xxx.sav" files located in the ZC install directory and would only need to make sure to execute the appropriate "zelda-w -savefile (filename)" command before starting a new quest..... correct?

5) I am assuming when you use the "zelda-w -savefile (filename)" command then it creates the (filename).sav file and the file is associated with the "1st.qst" file as a default .... is this correct? If so, then is it somehow possible to create a "xxx.sav" file to be associated with a specific QST file instead of just defaulting it to be related to "1st.qst"

PS: Here is my website describing my arcade machines (which are much better than Space Invaders) and other stuff my wife allows in our house :>)

http://unclet.arcadecontrols.com/

Luigi:
The only time consuming part would be the time is takes to generate a program which would interact with the "zelda-w.exe" application which would manage the "xxx.sav" files and such. Once it is done, then anyone should be able to play any quest by simply selecting a custom quest name from a gamelist. Once a game has been selected, then all the game save files associated with that particular quest can be displayed and the player can select which one they would like to play (ie: which save state they would like to resume from).

This makes the "zelda-w.exe" application more arcade-cabinet-friendly. Might make it more user-friendly as well .... since you would not need to start the "zelda-w.exe" application manually anymore..... my new program would start it indirectly as a frontend to the "zelda-w.exe" application.

Anyway, I would not be moving "xxx.sav" files around by hand ..... that would be way too time consuming....

Also, do not expect this to be implemented soon, I am just in the thinking stage right now ..... trying to find out if it is possible or not ... I am actually somewhat surprised that something like this does not exist already .... seems with tons of quests out there, then a frontend would be kind of handy .....

unclet
06-28-2006, 12:57 PM
If someone could answer these 5 questions for me that would be great ..... I am trying to plan this out and getting the answers to these 5 questions would benfit me greatly ..... thanks

Luigi
06-28-2006, 03:06 PM
1) I don't know what '-d' does.
2) Yes - I think.
3) http://www.armageddongames.net/jman2050/ZCBeta/
4) Yes - but remember that you need ALL the relevant quest files (in the SAME folder) for it to work.
5) Not sure.

BTW, why do you want ZC on an arcade machine, anyway? It seems impossible.

unclet
06-28-2006, 03:30 PM
4) Yes - but remember that you need ALL the relevant quest files (in the SAME folder) for it to work.
I am confused ..... are you saying
a) All quest files should be in the same folder as all the associated "SAV" files
OR
b) All quest files should be in the same folder, but all "SAV" files can be located in the ZC install folder.
OR
c) All the files relating to "one quest" only (ie: QST, DAT, MP3, etc..) need to be together in the same directory?

Two extra observations:
===================
I did notice that when I set the "QuestDir" in the "zelda-w.exe" menu options then this setting does not remain there when you restart "zelda-w.exe" again. Is this a problem? I see my entered path in the CFG file, but eventually the CFG file goes back to simply indicating the default path.

I have noticed (about 50% of the time) after I exit "zelda-w.exe" and it disappears, then a window pops up indicating a system error occurred. Have other people seen this on WinXP(SP2)?

BTW, why do you want ZC on an arcade machine, anyway? It seems impossible.
Well, I do not want everyone who comes over to play a little Zelda to have to sit at my little computer desk to do so. Also, it would just be fun to do :D

Luigi
06-28-2006, 03:49 PM
I am confused ..... are you saying
a) All quest files should be in the same folder as all the associated "SAV" files
OR
b) All quest files should be in the same folder, but all "SAV" files can be located in the ZC install folder.
OR
c) All the files relating to "one quest" only (ie: QST, DAT, MP3, etc..) need to be together in the same directory?

I'm saying a) - unless you have multiple copies of ZC in multiple folders, due to the multiple amount of ag.cfg files that you'll need.

Regarding b), you can change the dir that the quests are in, but the DAT's MUST be in the same folder as ZC, or it (ZC) won't open.

And regarding c), the only files that a quest needs are the core ZC ones (even MP3's (tracker music) are optional, and the MID's are encoded in a quest file) - all the DAT's are universal.

BTW, I still think ZC on an arcade is impossible...

unclet
06-28-2006, 04:39 PM
Ok, guess I have no idea what the "ag.cfg" file does .... I assumed this is used for general setup configuration which could be shared by all different quest files. However, you are indicating that when I load a new custom quest then the "ag.cfg" file changes to be specific to the custom quest just loaded.... is this correct?

Luigi
06-29-2006, 01:45 PM
Ag.cfg is the same as all the DAT files - ZC won't work without it.

And it's a 'no' to the second part - ag.cfg only changes if you select different options via the GUI.

unclet
06-29-2006, 05:25 PM
ag.cfg only changes if you select different options via the GUI.

This is not really true for me. I can set the QuestDir to something in the GUI and then exit "zelda-w.exe". I can then see that the ag.cfg file changed (like you say), however, if I then simply restart "zelda-w.exe" and exit only (after the splash screens), then the ag.cfg file changes the QuestDir back to the default (which is the ZC installation directory).

Would you consider this a bug?

Luigi
06-30-2006, 02:50 PM
Which version are you using?

Remember, if ag.cfg is read-only, it won't be overwritten.

unclet
06-30-2006, 03:18 PM
Which version are you using?

Remember, if ag.cfg is read-only, it won't be overwritten.

I am using ZC2.10 at the moment .... I have not tried the beta yet ....

Also, since the ag.cfg file originally gets updated with the correct quest directory then it is not read only. Must just be a bug that is gets changed back to the ZC installation directory when the "zelda-w.exe" application is restarted......

Luigi
06-30-2006, 03:31 PM
I am using ZC2.10 at the moment .... I have not tried the beta yet ....

Also, since the ag.cfg file originally gets updated with the correct quest directory then it is not read only. Must just be a bug that is gets changed back to the ZC installation directory when the "zelda-w.exe" application is restarted......

Does the directory you're trying to change it to contain any quests?

unclet
06-30-2006, 11:40 PM
Of course ....

Luigi
07-01-2006, 08:10 AM
In that case, I guess it must be a bug - or a technical issue.

Try PM'ing a Developer.

Mega Link
07-18-2006, 01:11 PM
3) I originally went to "http://www.zeldaclassic.com/" and went to the download section get obtain my current ZC version of 2.10 ...... is this the same version which you are referring to? If not, where does one get the beta versions from ..... and is the 2.10b version somewhat stable yet?

Uhh.. unclet it's ZC 2.11 Beta 10b (http://www.armageddongames.net/showthread.php?t=90670) not ZC 2.10b. :rolleyes: (Click on the link to go to the download thread.)