PDA

View Full Version : Please remind me how to save ......

unclet
06-27-2006, 10:00 AM
Do the Zelda games save the game progress automatically, or must the player specifically request the game progress be saved manually? If manually, how do I do it while playing a game?

Thanks

Pineconn
06-27-2006, 10:59 AM
Yep, you have to do it manually. You can either die and select Save, or you can press F6, which will act as dying (without the death counter going up), to save.

unclet
06-27-2006, 11:48 AM
Ah.... thanks. I guess I saw that F6 was greyed out in the menu.... but I never looked at it after I started a game ..... thanks

I load a custom quest, started the game, moved through a few screens and then save the game. When I restart the game, it seems to restart me at the beginning. Is this a problem or simply how the saving mechanism works. I would assume it would place me exactly where I last was in the game, but this is not the case .....

Luigi
06-27-2006, 02:31 PM
I load a custom quest, started the game, moved through a few screens and then save the game. When I restart the game, it seems to restart me at the beginning. Is this a problem or simply how the saving mechanism works. I would assume it would place me exactly where I last was in the game, but this is not the case .....

I'm afraid that's how the original NES game was made... although some quests have a 'Continue Here' feature in their individual DMAP's, which will start you at a pre-defined position.

The ability to save on individual screens (savestates) has been mentioned, but probably won't be implemented for a while - unfortunately.

Cloral
06-27-2006, 02:57 PM
It generally works like this: if you save in the overworld, you restart at the beginning point. If you save in a level, you restart at the level's entrance. Individual quests may have exceptions to the rule though, so don't be surprised if you play a custom quest and you don't restart where you expected to.

Pineconn
06-27-2006, 05:31 PM
Of course, you know, being able to save in an exact location shouldn't be too difficult to implement anyway. Just assign Link's postion a Dmap value, screen value, XY-coordinate value, and retain all the triggered events (so that you don't save on a bridge that appeared, then when you continue, the bridge is gone and you're stuck). I don't know about the ZC code, so maybe this would be hard. :shrug: Knowing how messy and unorganized the code is, maybe not. :rolleyes: