PDA

View Full Version : Newbie questions ... please be kind ....

unclet
06-26-2006, 10:13 AM
As a newbie, I read the following post, but I am still having trouble:

"How to set the quest directory and choose custom quests - ZC 1.90 and above"

After I select the "1st.qst" file and select OK, then I get the following error:

"Error: Unable to open file"

The 1st.qst file does exist in the ZeldaClassic install directory.

Questions:

1) Why cant I start the "1st.qst" quest?

2) I noticed there are "2nd.qst" and 3rd.qst" files as well. I would assume these are simply additional games in the series ... correct..... or are they related somehow and need to be loaded during gameplay somehow.... curious.

3) I am assuming "zelda-w.exe" allows me to play games by opening QST files while "zquest-w.exe" allows me to create my own quests .... is this correct?

4) Can "zelda-w.exe" load a QST from the command line?

5) When I double-click on "zquest-w.exe" then I get the following error in a pop-up window ... why?

"Loading Quest...."
"Decrypting ... error"
"--- press a key ---"

Regards,
UncleT

Pineconn
06-26-2006, 10:56 AM
1) That's some bug that has existed for a while... Don't really worry about it. If you want to play the 1st.qst, simply create a file name in ZC and begin it.

2) To play the 2nd.qst, create a name of "Zelda" and start it. To play the 3rd.qst, create a name of "Alpha" and start it. Make sure that your A and B buttons aren't any of those letters (the most common is typing in the "Z" in Zelda).

3) Completely correct.

4) Don't know anout this one.

5) Don't worry about that, either. I'm not entirely sure on why that happens, maybe your last opened quest was passworded, you typed in a password, and it was wrong. But after you get that message, you should be able to open a quest and work on it.

unclet
06-26-2006, 11:12 AM
1) If you want to play the 1st.qst, simply create a file name in ZC and begin it.
What do you mean "..simply create a file name in ZC and begin it" ..... do I create a filename in the installation directory and try to open it using the "zelda-w.exe" application?

2) To play the 2nd.qst, create a name of "Zelda" and start it. To play the 3rd.qst, create a name of "Alpha" and start it. Make sure that your A and B buttons aren't any of those letters (the most common is typing in the "Z" in Zelda).
I am using the default A and B button mapping (Alt and Ctrl) ..... will this cause a problem? I am not sure what you mean by "create a name of "Zelda" or "Alpha". When I first start "zelda-w.exe", then if I register the name as being "alpha", then I get the following error message, so it seems like it is trying to open the 3rd.qst file....

"Error loading 3rd.qst Internal error occurred"

Same thing happens with the 2nd.qst file when I type in "Zelda" as my register name .....

4) Can "zelda-w.exe" load a QST from the command line?
(reponse) Don't know anout this one.
My goal is to put a bunch of quests on my arcade cabinet I built and let the player select which quest they would like to play. As with most existing arcade cabinets which support various emulators, the game selected is started from the command line. As a result, I was interested whether this application could be started from the command line or not. Basically, I would like the player to be able to scroll through a list of quests and select one to play ... that is it. Do not really want them to have to Register a Name, find the QST file on the harddrive and start it up by pressing OK a couple of times. Being able to start a QST file directly from the command line would be a nice feature if it does not already exist.

5) Don't worry about that, either. I'm not entirely sure on why that happens, maybe your last opened quest was passworded, you typed in a password, and it was wrong. But after you get that message, you should be able to open a quest and work on it.
I never opened a quest successfully yet, so typing in passwords is not the problem. All I can do is double-click on the "zquest-w.exe" file, get the error and nothing else is allowed to be done. Pressing any other key does nothing ..... I must kill the "zquest-w.exe" process from the task manager window to get out of it.

Sir_Johnamus
06-26-2006, 12:09 PM
1. No, he means to register your name as normal and hit enter.
2. ...
4. ...
5. If you are using XP, you must be on an administrator account to do this. It bugged me for a while until I found out.

Your problems seem like download problems. If no solution presents itself, try re-downloading.

unclet
06-26-2006, 12:45 PM
Well, I am running this at work, so I know I do not have Admin rights on this computer.

You mentioned I needed Admin rights for the "zquest-w.exe"application .... but do I need Admin rights to execute the "zelda-w.exe" application as well?

Even though the installation of ZC worked with no errors, perhaps since I do not have Admin rights, then things just do not work correctly??

PS: Would you know whether "zelda-w.exe" can be executed via the command line to start a QST file?

koopa
06-26-2006, 02:04 PM
unclet:

There's a way to get around the admin rights thing. Just go to a command line and type subst z: path-to-your-zelda-folder. Then open explorer and start ZC from your new Z: drive.

unclet
06-26-2006, 02:28 PM
Everything works fine now .... thanks for the tip. The actual start window with the names now shows up ..... so I now understand what was being said regarding "names"

Now, if I entered ZELDA and ALPHA as names. When I start these games, they both seem to start the exact same way, althought the game info states one is 2nd.qst and the other is 3rd.qst. So, do both 2nd and 3rd quests start in the same manner (ie: look the same)?

Anyway, I can register a name, press A button twice and start a Custom Quest now .... thanks. This is amazing.

Now, if someone could please let me know whether zelda-w.exe can be started via the command line that would be great ...... If so, what are the options .... thanks

Luigi
06-26-2006, 02:46 PM
http://www.armageddongames.net/showthread.php?t=67489

The above thread should help in regard to the last part of your post.

unclet
06-26-2006, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the link ...

Based on the information it does NOT seem like zelda-w.exe can start a QST file from the command line.... oh well.... bummer ...

Actually, perhaps a wrapper can be created to execute the QST from the command line ... might work ...

Anyway, thanks for all the help...