PDA

View Full Version : Nestle Milkmaid Flakes

Monica
06-18-2006, 11:22 PM
http://www.nestlecereales.com.mx/productos/fotos/lechera_caja.jpg

A friend of mine who works at Albertsons in Texas came accross this all-Spanish cereal in the cereal section in his store. He says it was in with the American cereal, and not in their Imported Foods Aisle. Babblefish says it means Milkmaid.

Suppose other products started to be all in Spanish, wouldn't that be harder for English Americans? It is our country and we'd be changing for Immigrants.

Yes this is hypothetical because only this one thing is in all Spanish, I just would like others' opinions, plus it's just a strange named cereal, heh.

Daarkseid
06-19-2006, 12:01 AM
If Texas wasn't held in the firm iron-fisted grip of Neo-Conservative tyranny, I'd suggest a good idea for that state would be to have their school districts start making Spanish a mandatory subject throughout primary schooling.

But instead I hope Texas is overrun with mexicans in the next few decades, and then Texas itself secedes and returns to mexico. Fuck Texas.

Lilith
06-19-2006, 01:10 AM
They stocked a lot of Spanish language products in my old store which was in a Mexican neighborhood. It doesn't really matter, they're the same shit as the English ones but with Spanish packaging. It's just like having 2 of something.

Oh and Ted, in some places they do teach Spanish regularly at earlier levels. I went to a school that did that. Too bad I forgot it all.

MacWeirdo42
06-19-2006, 06:33 AM
You know what really bugs me? Those rich Mexicans who come across the border to go shopping at our damn mall. They walk around acting like they own the place, doing whatever the hell they want on the assumption that having money means that they're so much better than us... And the worst part is, it's completely legal.

Back to the issue at hand. I swear, it really doesn't matter. Why the hell are you so afraid of hypotheticals? It really ain't a big deal when it comes to actually being put in a situation like that. And for the record, quit blaming the immigrants... Blame the companies that pander to them to make a quick buck, if you're unhappy.

And for the record, if they immigrate here, it becomes their country, too. Because it's legal immigrants that crap is targeted for, as much if not more so than illegal ones. It's in Spanish not because they don't know English, but because they're pandering to the culture.

Lilith
06-20-2006, 03:21 AM
You know what really bugs me? Those rich Mexicans who come across the border to go shopping at our damn mall. They walk around acting like they own the place, doing whatever the hell they want on the assumption that having money means that they're so much better than us... And the worst part is, it's completely legal.

You know what really bugs me? Those Americans that swing down to Mexico all the time for perscription drugs and cigars. Damn them! Oh wait that never happens rite? Lolz.

NO SHOPPING FOR TRAVELERS PLZ

MacWeirdo42
06-20-2006, 06:30 AM
You know what really bugs me? Those Americans that swing down to Mexico all the time for perscription drugs and cigars. Damn them! Oh wait that never happens rite? Lolz.

NO SHOPPING FOR TRAVELERS PLZ
LOL Ha, never thought about it like that. Hmm... Now that I think about it, not sure which is worse.

Nicholas Steel
06-20-2006, 08:05 AM
how could you get the name of the product wrong when you have a picture of it? its nestle.

i do not mean to sound harsh.

Monica
06-20-2006, 12:32 PM
how could you get the name of the product wrong when you have a picture of it? its nestle.

imdo not mean to sound harsh.

Was that directed at me? What do you mean "get the name of the product wrong?" I didn't get it wrong, I just translated it into English cause the English name sounds like a funny odd name for cereal, that's all.

Edit: Nvmnd...

moocow
06-20-2006, 01:09 PM

imdo not mean to sound harsh.

Don't be an ass. Seriously, just don't.

What does "imdo not mean to sound harsh." mean? Is that supposed to be, "I do not mean to sound harsh." or "I'm not meaning to sound harsh." Also, you didn't use any grammar in your post, obviously, so until you can start making comprehensive posts, I'd suggest you stop being rude to other people about simple spelling mistakes.

gdorf
06-20-2006, 02:59 PM

Back to the issue at hand. I swear, it really doesn't matter. Why the hell are you so afraid of hypotheticals? It really ain't a big deal when it comes to actually being put in a situation like that. And for the record, quit blaming the immigrants... Blame the companies that pander to them to make a quick buck, if you're unhappy.

And for the record, if they immigrate here, it becomes their country, too. Because it's legal immigrants that crap is targeted for, as much if not more so than illegal ones. It's in Spanish not because they don't know English, but because they're pandering to the culture.

You often make completely unsubstantiated points and pass them off as fact. That, along with your overgeneralization, makes you incredibly frustrating to debate. I really don't think its worth my time.

That said, I feel that until the USA makes english our official language we have no right to get angry about these sorts of things.

Nicholas Steel
06-20-2006, 07:23 PM
fixed... i was tired att.

Monica
06-20-2006, 07:51 PM
Actually thank you very much franpa. I didn't realize that I had misspelled it, or that that's what your post was about until right now heh... I just got a new monitor and I'm trying to get used to a new resolution and the text is smaller than I'm used to, and I have mispelled a few more things since I got it...

Anyway, fixed. ^_^

Nicholas Steel
06-20-2006, 08:50 PM
no problem... glad to have been of service.

Machiavelli
06-20-2006, 09:06 PM
Tell me, how many of you would like to buy food in a language you don't understand? Now, I'm not saying that spanish-only speakers shouldn't learn english, but if given a choice, wouldn't you rather buy food in you're first language/a language you're better at?

Something like this really does't bother me. There are a lot of spanish speakers in this country now, of coures they'd be someones target consumers.

Suppose other products started to be all in Spanish, wouldn't that be harder for English Americans?
Doubtful, as english is still the main language here.

It is our country and we'd be changing for Immigrants.
You're a tad late for this one.

A friend of mine who works at Albertsons in Texas came accross this all-Spanish cereal in the cereal section in his store. He says it was in with the American cereal, and not in their Imported Foods Aisle. Babblefish says it means Milkmaid.I couldn't help but point this one out. My local grocery store doesn't really have a section for imported food. Sure, the 2nd language items may be a bit closer together, but all the food is kept together for the most part. Hmm..then again, my neighborhood is pertty diverse. Whats the breakdown of you're neighborhood where something like this would even be an issue?

MacWeirdo42
06-20-2006, 09:45 PM
You often make completely unsubstantiated points and pass them off as fact. That, along with your overgeneralization, makes you incredibly frustrating to debate. I really don't think its worth my time.

That said, I feel that until the USA makes english our official language we have no right to get angry about these sorts of things.
Bah... Screw backing up claims, it's summer, I'm done with school. Sorry, just laziness... One of these days, though, one of these days, I'll actually bother to make a coherent argument and have proper citations and everything. Just not any time within the next 30 years or so.

Monica
06-20-2006, 11:41 PM
Tell me, how many of you would like to buy food in a language you don't understand? Now, I'm not saying that spanish-only speakers shouldn't learn english, but if given a choice, wouldn't you rather buy food in you're first language/a language you're better at?

Something like this really does't bother me. There are a lot of spanish speakers in this country now, of coures they'd be someones target consumers.

Doubtful, as english is still the main language here.

You're a tad late for this one.

I couldn't help but point this one out. My local grocery store doesn't really have a section for imported food. Sure, the 2nd language items may be a bit closer together, but all the food is kept together for the most part. Hmm..then again, my neighborhood is pertty diverse. Whats the breakdown of you're neighborhood where something like this would even be an issue?

Actually my friend lives in Dallas and he says a lot of billboards and things are in Spanish too.

A ton of things have English, French, and Spanish all on the package already, and isn't that fair for everything non-imported?

Lilith
06-21-2006, 03:34 AM
I buy food in languages I don't understand...in other countries, and if I want "lol ethnic" foods here. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what food does most of the time, and if I want something in Greek or Spanish or Japanese it's probably worth it anywayz.