PDA

View Full Version : Hmm...It seems that our reputation outside of ZC sites is usually..bad.

Kingboo30
06-15-2006, 05:17 PM
We really need to increase our reputation...badly. Zelda Classic was on an extremely popular gaming site before but once Phantom Menace quit, it was moved to AGN which really hasn't advertised. When Zelda Classic is mentioned outside ZC sites, it is commonly called crap and others. Heck, they even call our quests BS. We just need to advertise ZC more and build our reputation, cause Zelda Classic has very little advertising. I should put Zelda Classic in my sig on other sites from now on. If we advertise Zelda Classic more, we we get more members and we won't have a crap reputation anymore.

Gerudo
06-15-2006, 05:46 PM
Where do people call your quests 'crap' ?

...and yes, depending on what site you go to, it's not ZC that is called crap, it's the site it's hosted on. People generally assume the worst about this place because of past experiences of others. ZC itself is on most other gaming download sites (such as Download.com, HOTU, and a few others), albeit not the most recent version is listed.

Pineconn
06-15-2006, 05:48 PM
You've brought up quite an interesting subject. True, Zelda Classic seems to be very unknown to the world. We could always increase our affiliates, which usually increases a site's popularity. I don't know which sites would even accept, maybe Zelda Power (www.zeldapower.com), Zelda Universe (www.zeldauniverse.net), maybe Land of the Legend (www.landofthelegend.net) (previously known as Hyrule.net).

I think I heard of ZC on the official Nintendo forums, so I decided to check it out. The person who suggested the link said it was a good program, from what I can remember (from a year ago). The description of ZC is very up-to-date on Wikipedia, too. I don't really know what to do to promote ZC other than via affiliation. :shrug:

I agree that we should expand ZC to more people, but how many people is just too many? We don't really want a thousand people to be making quests at a time, that'll ruin the almost "sentimental value" of Zelda Classic. Anyone else?

WindStrike
06-15-2006, 06:49 PM
Currently, I don't think it's really a problem of how many affiliates that ZC has, but more of a main site problem. We all know that Tygore is working on the site right now and should have the site functioning sometime in the near future (mayhaps, 1 month?). But a few days after the site problems are fixed, there really shouldn't be a problem. More people will come to it more often just because the site is doing a lot better I suppose. When 2.11 fully comes out, then there'll REALLY be a lot of activity for quite a few months. Compared to the number of people that leave the ZC community every day, I think at least just as many are joining. Although it is slow progress, the reputation of this site should probably (err... should probably... I'm brilliant...) start increasing again sometime soon.

On a side note half-related to this, I believe I came here either looking for an emulator or through someone's signature, so putting the main ZC site (or PureZC) affiliate in your signatures may help.

Pineconn
06-15-2006, 11:41 PM
The website is in pretty bad condition, anyway. I'm not sure if Tygore is working on it, but the last thing I heard is that War Lord is "tinkering with the website," so it should be back up . When it is (QDB and the most recent quest thing on the right side), we'll need active updaters for the home page. [i]At least one, maybe even 2 or 3.

Nicholas Steel
06-16-2006, 12:08 AM
Where do people call your quests 'crap' ?

...and yes, depending on what site you go to, it's not ZC that is called crap, it's the site it's hosted on. People generally assume the worst about this place because of past experiences of others. ZC itself is on most other gaming download sites (such as Download.com, HOTU, and a few others), albeit not the most recent version is listed.

i would say that they host possibly the most stable version. (which makes sense)

War Lord
06-16-2006, 02:49 AM
The site is being fixed as we speak.
With the next release, we will be on Windows, Mac, Linux, DOS, and the GP2X handheld.
I will also be paying heavily for advertising of the new version across the web on sites I have already determined.
I'm not sure what else you think is needed, but it should be more than enough.

rocksfan13
06-16-2006, 08:57 AM
IMO there should be more than one person working on the additions to the QDB. Tygore is busy enough, maybe if some other were to help with keeping the QDB running it won't seem like it's no longer functioning.

Getting the word out on other sites acrross the web should do a great deal of help for the rep and knowledge of AGN. I applaud that one. But perhaps it may be the small advertising and general handling of AGN. I know the advertising on here isn't in your face, but it's there and some people might not like that. In the past I don't recall it being there.

Just a question though: What exactly IS being fixed on the site?

elise
06-16-2006, 09:46 AM
It's always better to have atleast two people that can do that job , then it stays up to date even if one doesn't have the time at that moment.
Rocksfan isn't that a nice job for you , you seem to be online quite often :)

rocksfan13
06-16-2006, 11:46 AM
Truely. I would like to offer up my services to help the life of the QDB and to lighten the load for Tygore. If the powers that be could see fit to do so.

However, that isn't the only thing that is affecting the site.

Luigi
06-16-2006, 02:15 PM
So no-one knows about this (http://www.armageddongames.net/member.php?u=15851) member, then?

rocksfan13
06-16-2006, 02:18 PM
Nope. Not a word. How did you find out Luigi? Wasn't on the list yesterday.
Also according to the custom title they are fixing the QDB, not running it. I would to try and help run it.

Luigi
06-16-2006, 02:30 PM
Nope. Not a word. How did you find out Luigi? Wasn't on the list yesterday.
Also according to the custom title they are fixing the QDB, not running it. I would to try and help run it.

I saw him on Who's Online two days ago - it just said 'logging on', which was strange...

Anyway, I got a PM from him, and this is what he said:

"I was asked by War Lord to fix the Zelda Quest DB problems, so far you can now login but I have no idea if the comment system works on it or not."

Cheers
Steve

I take it you (or anyone else) didn't get one?

You could PM War Lord for more info.

rocksfan13
06-16-2006, 02:37 PM
No. However, I did know that War Lord was getting someone to fix the issues with the QDB, He just didn't say who. Now we know. Thanks Luigi.

BTW: Did you PM Mythotical personally? Or War Lord?

Edit: I was just in the QDB and apparently the voting system now works again. Commenting doesn't.

Luigi
06-16-2006, 02:43 PM
BTW: Did you PM Mythotical personally? Or War Lord?

I actually e-mailed him - I was rather surprised to recieve a PM instead, though.

I'm still rather surprised that no-one else knows - I thought War Lord/someone else would have made an announcement.

rocksfan13
06-16-2006, 02:53 PM
I am too. But like I said, at least we know now. I guess you could consider this as the announcement made. LOL

Limzo
06-16-2006, 04:45 PM
You've brought up quite an interesting subject. True, Zelda Classic seems to be very unknown to the world. We could always increase our affiliates, which usually increases a site's popularity. I don't know which sites would even accept, maybe Zelda Power (www.zeldapower.com), Zelda Universe (www.zeldauniverse.net), maybe Land of the Legend (www.landofthelegend.net) (previously known as Hyrule.net).

I think I heard of ZC on the official Nintendo forums, so I decided to check it out. The person who suggested the link said it was a good program, from what I can remember (from a year ago). The description of ZC is very up-to-date on Wikipedia, too. I don't really know what to do to promote ZC other than via affiliation. :shrug:

I agree that we should expand ZC to more people, but how many people is just too many? We don't really want a thousand people to be making quests at a time, that'll ruin the almost "sentimental value" of Zelda Classic. Anyone else?
I totally agree with this. But with the Wikipedia thing :blush:, it used to be WAY OFF but I manage to line it up with the most recent news (but forgot to get the "Eckels thing" fixed there sorry.)

Pineconn
06-16-2006, 06:35 PM
Wow, I'm surprised to see the site issue is being fixed like clockwork. Surprised in a good way. That is...

We can log in! :surprise: At last, I thought I'd never see the day that we can finally log in, but we can. Wow. Kudos to whomever fixed this, kudos to whomever will manage the site from today onward. You've made my day. ;)

I assume this means we can rate quests and post comments with a name, right? I assume it does, so I'll just stop typing and press http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/PokeMaster/sr.png.

EDIT: Rating quests, yes; comments, no. BTW, I'm almost certain that Triforce's Curse, Link's Retirement 3, 1st Quest Redux, and Adventure in Mysteria, though rated "5 stars with 1 vote," should not be rated. They, for whatever reason, were given a 5/5 vote upon submission. Hero of Dreams should have a 5/5 vote, since, well, I voted it. ;) I don't know if you want to take those votes away, it's your decision.

EDIT 2: It also appears that HoD's main page has many errors... Like version of ZC, tileset, date added to QDB, and I can't download it (not that I need to)... Just pointing them out.

firebug
06-16-2006, 06:45 PM
...With the next release, we will be on Windows, Mac, Linux, DOS, and the GP2X handheld....

*drool*

ShadowTiger
06-17-2006, 10:30 PM
So no-one knows about this (http://www.armageddongames.net/member.php?u=15851) member, then?Oh yeah. °_° I remember that name. If you're reading this, thanks again Monica. :highfive: A shame we never did get in touch though. I'm going to keep trying I guess. Can't be on AIM 24/7. @ @.'

Anyway. I've been reading this topic for a while, and I keep wanting to say something, but I'm never really sure if what I have to say is important or not. I'll just list what I see.

Tygore is in charge of the database. Haven't heard much from him, but I'm not actually paying that much attention to the ZC Database. Not nearly as much as I should, anyway, but my focus is elsewhere at the moment. Best of luck to Mythotical and the others on getting the database up to par.

A lot of people think that ZC has too high of a learning curve. It desperately needs better documentation, as well as forum help. Of course, you can ask as many questions as you'd like, but why should we need people to ask to get this information to them? Why can't they just check a "FAQ: READ ME FIRST!" pinned topic up top which would more than likely have the answer to their question, since the question they're probably asking would be so common due to the learning curve. (Example: The "Why doesn't my string show up? I have a guy there!" etc.)

I sort of feel that information is kind of "scattered." Since AGN is the official host of ZC, I think that it needs to have quite a few more links to ZC-related materials and sources to get them on the Main Page (http://www.armageddongames.com/) and the Affiliation Page (http://www.armageddongames.com/affiliation.shtml). (Though that's just the request form.) Would be nice if all the information was in one place, right? I mean, AGN would do anything that it takes to ensure ZC's popularity and success, right? ... Even if it's like, ... not ... very difficult to ... do? o_o'

If anyone has any plans, (I know I sure do. Have had some for a while.) It's a good time to speak out. Ideas can only be approved, not approved, or taken into consideration. You won't explode from suggesting something. :p

One idea that I've had is that we should assemble all the tutorials that people have made into one general location. I'm starting to do that now in the Zelda Classic University (The Link should be in my signature.) and anyone who wants to contribute is very welcome.

It's also of notable concern that, (As I've mentioned before.) everything is scattered. You've got the ZC Database, you've got Pure's tiles/quests/tilesets/music database, you've got pinned threads here, you've got important hosted quest forums and ZC tips at Elise's ZC place, ... you've also got different communities with different people and regulations everywhere. The communities are all well and good, but there should be at least clearly marked links to every other place with what those places can provide for the user who is too afraid or nervous to register for a forum account on any given forum.

Pineconn
06-17-2006, 10:53 PM
A lot of people think that ZC has too high of a learning curve. It desperately needs better documentation, as well as forum help. Of course, you can ask as many questions as you'd like, but why should we need people to ask to get this information to them? Why can't they just check a "FAQ: READ ME FIRST!" pinned topic up top which would more than likely have the answer to their question, since the question they're probably asking would be so common due to the learning curve. (Example: The "Why doesn't my string show up? I have a guy there!" etc.)

I agree on this, but there is a large amount of possible problems. As a matter of fact, I just solved a Zelda room problem (didn't set it to level 9). There can also be layers, sprites, strings (like you said), setting up combos; the list goes on. If there is going to be an FAQ, I think it should be well-organized. That is, maybe have topics "File," "Quest," "Edit," "Tools," "Data," and "Etc" with sub-topics of any problem that could exist in those drop-down menus.

For example, someone needs to know how to rip loose tiles into his or her quest. He or she will go into the Quest topic and into the Graphics sub-topic. In there, the person will click in the Tiles [sub-sub-topic?]. In this, there will be explanations on how to not only rip tiles, but also what the 6 tile editor tools do, etc. (Yeah, that's a little confusing to read.)

But what if someone may not know where his or her problem exists? There can also be an archive of every question that is within the above structure. That is, there would be 2 ways of being sorted: By topic and by archive (which really has no organization at all :rolleyes: ). Dunno. That's what I would do. :shrug:

I sort of feel that information is kind of "scattered." Since AGN is the official host of ZC, I think that it needs to have quite a few more links to ZC-related materials and sources to get them on the Main Page (http://www.armageddongames.com/) and the Affiliation Page (http://www.armageddongames.com/affiliation.shtml). (Though that's just the request form.) Would be nice if all the information was in one place, right? I mean, AGN would do anything that it takes to ensure ZC's popularity and success, right? ... Even if it's like, ... not ... very difficult to ... do? o_o'

Whoa, there's actually an official AGN website? :confused: (God I hate that smiley... It's the only one though to describe my emotion.) Had no idea. Hmm, doesn't really have much content, though...