PDA

View Full Version : Best worms game for PC?

punkonjunk1024
06-14-2006, 04:18 PM
Basically, I'm wondering what the best worms game for PC would be. I played ALOT of worms 2 after a friend gave me an old copy... and after spending alot of time trying to find out how to get multiplayer to work, I found alot of stuff saying worms 2 was buggy as hell, and overall, really shitty.

So... if I like that game alot, what would be the best PC game to look into?

ONeilcool
06-14-2006, 06:33 PM
The best worms type game I can think of is Gunbound.

It's free and an mmorpg.

softnyx.net

check it out

War Lord
06-14-2006, 07:00 PM
I actually was into worms crazily way back.
Worms 2 was real big online for me.
Probably Worms World Party.
It was the last one I purhcased and remember playing online, that was like traditional 2d worms.

gdorf
06-14-2006, 07:12 PM
Worms, Armageddon was pretty good. They all seem pretty similar though..

punkonjunk1024
06-14-2006, 07:16 PM
not ish game, I mean actual worms game, just... since 2 seems to suck so bad (and I can't get it online) I want to know what one I should pick up to play online. I'll look into armegeddon. :)

War Lord
06-14-2006, 07:50 PM
You hav better luck playing World Party online since it was released after armageddon.

Darth Marsden
06-15-2006, 11:17 AM
Worms World Party would be the best 2D Worms game for multiplayer, since that's pretty much what it was designed for, it has the best of all the games that came before it, and was the last Worms game to be made before they went 3D (I think - did Worms Blast come before or after WWP?).

For 3D Worms games, give Worms 4 a go. Again, latest game, but it's apparently better then Worms 3D. I say that cause I haven't played anything after Worms 3D, despite having the entire series, but it's supposed to be better then the other 3D games multiplayer-wise.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: Avoid Worms Blast and Worms Forts. Worms Blast is a shit Bubble Bobble clone, and Worms Forts is about defending your worms rather then blowing the crap out of the opposition, which is no fun at all. You have been warned!

punkonjunk1024
06-15-2006, 12:06 PM
I'll look into worms world party, then. If by 3d you mean 3d appearance 2d gameplay, then sweet. Kind of. If it's full 3d fuck that.
And you know, the cute comical style of it makes it more awesome. I don't see how they could recreate that in 3d.

Darth Marsden
06-15-2006, 12:48 PM
It's full 3D. They have managed to capture a lot of the comic style in the 3D games, but then again, some people think they never should have made the leap to an extra dimension. I personally love the 3D ones, but still, to each his own.

And you double posted. Oops.

gdorf
06-15-2006, 03:49 PM
I really didn't like Worms 3d. It didn't suit the style of gameplay and it was frustrating to play. For me, 2d worms involves a certain amount of luck. When you throw in the third dimension it multiplies the "luck" factor and get flustered and annoyed. :shrug:

I haven't played World Party though, I should give that a try.

Rainman
06-15-2006, 04:05 PM
I played World Party a lot at LAN parties. It was actually the funnest game to play.

Darth Marsden
06-16-2006, 04:49 AM
I replayed Worms 3D after posting here and scored a nifty victory over the AI on the hardest settings. I rule with the shotgun.

{DSG}DarkRaven
06-16-2006, 02:19 PM
I would say Armageddon, but that's only because I've never played any others. It's older though, so you'll probably have better luck with World Party. And honestly, I'm pretty sure that between the posts in this thread and what I've heard from fans and reviews, it's a toss up between those two games anyway.

Armageddon is still playable online, though I don't know how active the servers are because I haven't had it running on my new PC for long. If you happen to grab that one, make sure you get the patches before going online.

Luigi
06-16-2006, 02:23 PM
Definately WWP - although you'll need Win'98 to play it.

punkonjunk1024
06-16-2006, 02:41 PM
UH... I can't run it in like, compatability mode for win98?

Luigi
06-16-2006, 02:48 PM
UH... I can't run it in like, compatability mode for win98?

That might work... but 'native' Win'98 would be better.

Darth Marsden
06-16-2006, 03:27 PM
Funny. I haven't had any problems running WWP in WinXP. I'll check again though, make sure.

EDIT: Okay, the menus were a bit slow, but the game itself was fine. I was only playing it in Single Player mode though, so I've no idea what it'd be like over the internets or a LAN.

{DSG}DarkRaven
06-17-2006, 12:23 AM
Armageddon runs fine on XP, as far as I know. There was a very strange issue when I first installed it, where running the game in any resolution besides 640x480 would cause the game to crash, but only if I used the mouse. Everything was fine, but if you clicked even once, the whole program just closed down. Patching it solved this completely. Could have been a video card issue, could have been an XP issue, or something else, but I honestly can't say. Not that it matters much. The patch wasn't a very large download, even on 56k.

Gerudo
06-17-2006, 03:15 AM
Armageddon as so damn fun. when we first got it, my bro friend and i played for like 12 hours straight...

WWP was a little bit different, but much of the same. for some reason, it didnt have the longetivity of Armageddon...

Nicholas Steel
06-20-2006, 07:53 AM
wwp menues dont work if your nvidia drivers are in or above the 7x.xx range. and wa i never played but there is a patch that makes it prety much fully assimilate wwp.

w2 will need special care to get internet games to work if you have either a firewall or router or both... ask on team 17 forums for further help on the matter... i got it working fine.

w2 options and weapon editors are far superior to wwp.