PDA

View Full Version : Who'd have thought

goKi
06-11-2006, 03:28 AM
That connecting a monitor would screw up my system hard drive?

I should get all this fixed up, and be back on tomorrow, but my computer has some serious problems.

Once i get it going, i'll get pictures of my amazing dead pixel free 24" monitor taken.

Darth Marsden
06-11-2006, 05:36 AM
How the hell did that happen? That totally sucks. My sympathies to you, and all that.

goKi
06-11-2006, 07:54 AM
It was more than likely a co-incidence. After hours of recieving disk errors and halts during windows setup, i've finally made some progress, beefed up the monitor to max resolution, backed up my data. Going to do a virus scan on my MBR, then format all my drives and reinstall windows again.

ShadowTiger
06-11-2006, 09:15 AM
Dayamn. Good luck man. o.o

... How much does a 24 inch monitor go for anyway? Lots of luck getting a deal. Personally, at price vs quality, I'd take price. :sweat: That's just me though. (Insert Jew Joke Here.)

biggiy05
06-11-2006, 10:00 AM
Dayamn. Good luck man. o.o

... How much does a 24 inch monitor go for anyway? Lots of luck getting a deal. Personally, at price vs quality, I'd take price. :sweat: That's just me though. (Insert Jew Joke Here.)

If it's a really nice one such as a dell about $945 here in the states.

Goki, I still hate you.

goKi
06-11-2006, 10:13 AM
Dell.com in the US were doing the exact same monitor i bought for only $759US. So, i'd call this one a great combination of price, features (portrait mode flipping, card reader and USB ports onboard [3 things which Apple's more expensive cinema displays do not include] and also composite, component, and s-video inputs), and quality. If i were to go for absolute quality and disregard price, i'd have got a 30" :D

Goki, I still hate you.

Awwwww.... *blushes* i hate you too.

It's a great display, too, i had my PC (sorta) running, and i played around in high res, rotating the monitor into portrait mode. Web browsing in portrait mode is amazing!

I plan on taking some pictures, but right now, the monitor is in my 'workshop' formatting large volume drives (120gb, 200gb), hopefully to remedy my boot error. Once i move it back to my desk, i'll throw some pictures up.

Golden Warrior
06-11-2006, 11:00 AM
Hopefully it's just bad filesystems and not an overly large number of bad sectors....

goKi
06-11-2006, 12:33 PM
Hopefully it's just bad filesystems and not an overly large number of bad sectors....

One of my drive had bad sectors. i tried formatting it, and on the first attempt, it undeleted all the data. I eventually got that one cleared free of problems, and i just need to partition/format it again so i can move data back onto it.

The problem turned out to be a cunning BIOS, that changed by boot order to boot from a drive WITHOUT an MBR. Somehow happened between one restart, and another 5 minutes later. I never entered the BIOS, so lord knows how that happened, and that's why i never checked the hard drive order.

I'll be restoring my backups after work tomorrow, and i'll be much more active in the next few days after that. Sorry i haven't been around much, i'm just glad all my hard drives/data is okay.

Prrkitty
06-11-2006, 03:12 PM
BAD BIOS!! From what all I've heard large volume drives are always cranky - over one thing or another.

Good luck darlin :)
*kiss*

Gerudo
06-11-2006, 03:18 PM
a 24" monitor? i have a 17" and it's huge enough for me.. but damn... i can't really picture having another 7 iches viewing space. :O

did you buy it outright, or are you making payments, because 800 bucks is pretty hefty to drop all at once. (for me anyways. sadly i've never had more than 1 grand in my account).

biggiy05
06-11-2006, 03:31 PM
a 24" monitor? i have a 17" and it's huge enough for me.. but damn... i can't really picture having another 7 iches viewing space. :O

did you buy it outright, or are you making payments, because 800 bucks is pretty hefty to drop all at once. (for me anyways. sadly i've never had more than 1 grand in my account).

He isn't going to be the only one looking at AGN with a 24" monitor.:D

I am setting money aside from each paycheck to buy one from Dell. It's going to be my tv too since I record alot of shows on my computer.

goKi
06-11-2006, 06:05 PM
He isn't going to be the only one looking at AGN with a 24" monitor.:D

I am setting money aside from each paycheck to buy one from Dell. It's going to be my tv too since I record alot of shows on my computer.

That's what i got it for, using as a tv and a monitor. You want to make sure that you have something that can connect through component or s-vid, biggiy, there's alot of pixelation with composite.

Yeah, i bought it outright, i've been in the market for one since October, and the price has dropped alot since, and ive been putting cash aside.

biggiy05
06-11-2006, 07:08 PM
That's what i got it for, using as a tv and a monitor. You want to make sure that you have something that can connect through component or s-vid, biggiy, there's alot of pixelation with composite.

Yeah, i bought it outright, i've been in the market for one since October, and the price has dropped alot since, and ive been putting cash aside.

I am upgrading my computer and going back to watercooling againdp no worries with the hookup. A nice beefy ATI card should do the trick.

That is what I am doing. I am putting a little bit aside from each paycheck and more towards the new video card. Hopefully the price will go down a bit once I am ready to buy it.

Golden Warrior
06-11-2006, 08:36 PM
One of my drive had bad sectors. i tried formatting it, and on the first attempt, it undeleted all the data. I eventually got that one cleared free of problems, and i just need to partition/format it again so i can move data back onto it.

The problem turned out to be a cunning BIOS, that changed by boot order to boot from a drive WITHOUT an MBR. Somehow happened between one restart, and another 5 minutes later. I never entered the BIOS, so lord knows how that happened, and that's why i never checked the hard drive order.

I'll be restoring my backups after work tomorrow, and i'll be much more active in the next few days after that. Sorry i haven't been around much, i'm just glad all my hard drives/data is okay.

Ah I see, I've had happen before as well. I don't know why that happens without human intervention, but once I reset my settings in the BIOS every went fine after that. At least you didn't loose the entire drive.