PDA

View Full Version : Remember D-day

Rainman
06-06-2006, 01:03 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-day

Forget all this 6/6/06 bullshit. Today is the anniversay of the Allied invasion on the beaches of Normandy. Men fought against tremendous odds to take the beach and go on to fight Nazi occupation.

Please take a moment today to honor these veterans who sacrificed so much.

Normally I'd watch Band of Brothers or Saving Private Ryan, but I've watched both recently so I'm not too keen on watching them yet again.

Beldaran
06-06-2006, 02:11 PM
Thank you Rainman, for posting this. People are so stupid, they are just going all religo-wacko on us about a coincidence that doesn't even exist. Unless 060606 is the new number of the beast, today doesn't mean shit.

Also, the only reason it is June 6th 2006 is because some random group of ass holes decided that January 1st, 0000 was 2006 and one half years ago. It's all random.

Cheers to the WWII veterans. It was an amazing feat of courage, grit, and character.

koopa
06-06-2006, 02:13 PM
Thanks.

I have quite an interest in all things WWII-related, and what amazes me most is just how close a thing it was, apparently, that the allies won. If the history books can be believed, the Nazis needed only to have paid a bit of attention and they'd have thwarted D-Day, thrown the allies back into the sea, and the world would be a different place today.

I'm still not sure whether to put it down to a lot of luck, or to believe in some kind of divine help ...
In any case, you're right, we should take a moment to honour those who fought for what we take for granted today.

P.S. You could watch "The longest day" for a change.

Cronic
06-06-2006, 03:21 PM
I don't understand the conviction ...: shrugg : hats off to the people who fought and junk, but like ...we just had memorial day, and like there's even vets day

...I'm not discrediting them by any means i'm just sayin this is all a bit intense :p

And yes i respect our nations heoes quite a bit, but how many days do we need? I mean ...can't the devil have one to?

Beldaran
06-06-2006, 05:05 PM
Lord of the Cronic makes a good point...

Rainman
06-06-2006, 05:17 PM
Memorial Day is a good enough tribute to veterans and their fallen comrades in general. However I still think it's important that people realize the significance of the sacrifice on D-day. It was a massive invasion, in part, because casualities would no doubt be high. Allies had to force themselves onto land at a considerable disadvantage in order to secure a foothold in Europe. In one day hundreds of thousands of people gave their lives for this effort.

I'm not talking about making today a day of parades and political bullshit. I just think it's important take a few moments to consider the sacrifice.

Beldaran
06-06-2006, 06:09 PM
Rainman, with the excellent repartee...

Cronic
06-06-2006, 06:12 PM
I'm not talking about making today a day of parades and political bullshit. I just think it's important take a few moments to consider the sacrifice.

So what youre sayin is theyre a foot note on wars epic ass ...
Just kiddin man I feel ya ;P

Archibaldo
06-06-2006, 06:30 PM
Aye, I agree. Fuck this 666 bullshit.
/salute

Aegix Drakan
06-06-2006, 07:41 PM
/me salutes all those who lost their lives to preserve peace and hope across the globe.

Lilith
06-06-2006, 07:48 PM
Also be sure to remember VD-Day, when all the soldiers came back and gave their unsuspecting wives the unsavory diseases they picked up in the haystacks of Europe, if you know what I mean and I think you know what I mean.

MottZilla
06-06-2006, 10:32 PM
D-Day was something insane. When you consider the people, as people and not just bodies, that were just essentially made into cannon fodder in a mission that basically guarenteed the fiirst into combat being wiped out esspecially. I mean you'd have to have some huge balls to have been in the first wave of that. Could you really have stood there with your fellow warriors waiting to make a basically suicidial attack? And then could you actually do your job when it comes time to very likely meet your demise?

Atleast now you don't have to worry about that. Now wars can be fought primarily with missiles and bombs.

Toolie
06-07-2006, 12:40 AM
Seeing how one of my balls are made of spiked poison tipped titanium, and the other out of weapons-grade fissile uranium, I don't think any European power could make me afraid on my first (and only) wave.

Darth Marsden
06-07-2006, 09:41 AM
/ignore Toolie
/salute

Beldaran
06-07-2006, 07:43 PM
Great Fark post:
--------------------------
Can we please stop this nonsense now?

Come on, the only people that take this shiat seriously are the ones who believe that God loves us... but our only purpose in life as far as he is concerned is to DIE DIE DIE. And the only purpose to the world is for GOD TO BLOW IT UP.

Once you are in that mindset, three digits that represent evil isn't all that much of a stretch.