PDA

View Full Version : Help me.

Drunken Tiger
06-05-2006, 10:19 PM
Once again its that time of year for essays. I have an essay to do which focuses on computer games, so I thought why not ask my favourite bunch of gamers. :)

Essay Topic:

When computer games first appeared, those who played them were mostly boys, Presumably boys were ore interested in manipulating technology and more attracted to the competitive and violent nature of many computer games. To what extent are things changing? What can be said about games designed specifically for girls? For adults? For educational purposes rather than entertainment? You might consider how these new games are different, what effects they have, what future trends are likely or desirable. Will new computer games, like familiar ones, be criticised as addictive and causing social isolation and lack of physical excercise?

Its a pretty wordy topic. But any input would be great from you guys, just leave a first name, age and location so I can credit your words in my article. Also if you guys can add examples as well that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Toolie
06-05-2006, 10:41 PM
The Sims an interesting example of 1) a immensely popular game on a level never seen before in the history of the world and 2) more popular with woman than with men. That's pretty interesting.

MottZilla
06-05-2006, 11:07 PM
Well that's wrong right from the get go. Video Games/Computer games were first popular during the 70s/80s and they attracted people of all ages, both sexes, and all backgrounds. People like to stereotype or are simply dumbasses and don't know the truth.

Nowdays online multiplayer has become far more popular so gaming is likely to become alot more social than it has been outside of the arcade arena.

Aegix Drakan
06-06-2006, 08:23 AM
To what extent are things changing?

games are becoming more addictive, more violent, and have more varied themes.

What can be said about games designed specifically for girls?

er...can't really answer this one. I don't know many games designed mainly for girls.

For adults?

usually major sexual themes are involved.

For educational purposes rather than entertainment?

gee...well Harvest Moon has gotten quite popular hasn't it?

You might consider how these new games are different, what effects they have, what future trends are likely or desirable.

the future? a whole lotta GTA wannabies, and some other less popular games with less violence. Nintendo doesn't want to stain itself with major violence, so we'll be seeing some bloodless games.

Will new computer games, like familiar ones, be criticised as addictive and causing social isolation and lack of physical excercise?

World of warcraft. I've seen so many people lose their minds, souls, and bodies to that game...People sometimes STARVE while playing it, because they don't want to let go, not for sleep, food, or school/work...

I hope this helped :/

Darth Marsden
06-06-2006, 08:48 AM
When games first came out, they were rather rigid in what they could do. You could have either a platformer or a puzzler. A generalisation, maybe, but in the beginning that's really all there was. However, as technology has advanced, so have the games.

As people started being able to afford personal computers or consoles, the games they played changed to suit them - we could do more then simply save our names in the high-score leader board, we could save our progress in the game itself! We could have games where we developed our characters by giving them statistics - the birth of RPGs. Sports became emulatable, everything from Golf to Football. When processors became powerful enough to render games in 3D, we started getting first person shooters and flight simulators. As the internet became popular, games started to be developed solely for online play. And, as people started demanding more of their games, they became more interactive - force feedback, driving wheels, dance mats, even cameras to track your exact movement and use it in the game itself (EyeToy).

As time has progressed, people has demanded more and more from their games, and the people who make them have given them that. In the future, they will demand even more, and they will get it. Eventually it will lead to games we don't even play - we'll live them. I guess that's a way off yet, but until then our games will become more and more a part of people's lives.

Chris Marsden, 21, South England

Cronic
06-06-2006, 10:25 AM
Well that's wrong right from the get go. Video Games/Computer games were first popular during the 70s/80s and they attracted people of all ages, both sexes, and all backgrounds. People like to stereotype or are simply dumbasses and don't know the truth.

Nowdays online multiplayer has become far more popular so gaming is likely to become alot more social than it has been outside of the arcade arena.

yep i know a LOT of gurls that were all about playin video games before they learned their way around mind games ..they just aren't as pronounced in it as we.

goKi
06-06-2006, 10:31 AM
I remember seeing an article about the creator of Pacman. Targeting girls is no new thing, he actually sat around listening to girl's conversations to try break into the market. He noticed that food came up alot, and bam, made a game that appealed to both men and women (and attracted both to the game almost equally), and also is the second best game ever (aside from Tetris, which is also very popular amongst females).