PDA

View Full Version : Watch out PS3, here comes Phillips-Magnavox!

Mitsukara
06-04-2006, 02:28 AM
Okay, not really. But after some looking in and seeing just how horrible they really seem to be, I've got the stupidest urge that everyone in the world would probably beat me on the head with a stick for: I'd like to actually play the Zelda/Link CD-i games, and perhaps Hotel Mario.

And Darth Vader said: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

So, as anyone who knows what these are knows, these games suck terribly. Horribly. They're so awful that they're hilarious, and that sounds too good to pass up for my fine tastes. Besides, it'll make my Virtual Boy look better to all the people who don't appreciate it.

So, has anyone here had experience with this subject? I'm looking to find the cheapest, but working, way to play any one of these games.

Now, before I get myself into deep trouble, I want to express that I am not outright asking for ROMs/ISOs, and don't intend to break the forum rules. However, I believe it's acceptable to ask about emulator programs themselves as they aren't illegal, correct me if I'm mistaken.

Buying a system is not totally out of the question, but they're rare and kinda expensive so I'm not doing it until I have $40 free that I should probably give to homeless people instead. Could perhaps another console be modified/emulate a CD-i? Something like that?

Anyway, even if no one can help on this rather twisted request, I'd love to hear any stories anyone has about actually encountering one of these systems in action. Also, if nothing else, though you might've already seen them, these are worth watching if you haven't before (if you have the brain cells to spare; and by spare I mean set fire to and evaporate the ashes of- don't say I didn't warn you):

Zelda: The Wand of Gamelon (Intro) (http://youtube.com/watch?v=9mHw5g55oC4&search=cdi)
Zelda: The Wand of Gamelon (Epic Final Battle and Ending) (http://youtube.com/watch?v=BaHlUlWHNTo&search=cdi)
Link: The Faces of Evil (Intro) (http://youtube.com/watch?v=bNpLXo55yfw&search=cdi)
Link: The Faces of Evil (Epicer Final Battle and Ending) (http://youtube.com/watch?v=imlyVV0yYKo&search=cdi)

Zelda's Adventure, and it's groovy Live-Action (in a horribly dead way) intro (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O_ZPR2q7cg&search=Zelda%27s%20Adventure)
Zelda's Adventure's Boring Gameplay (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du_KeZeMJrQ&search=Zelda%27s%20Adventure) check out those sweet haxx loading times!

Hotel Mario- intro and a sad, sad attempt at a Captain Lou Albano imitation- plus gameplay! (http://youtube.com/watch?v=qylgdXXKq_c&search=cdi)
Hotel Mario's repetitive gameplay and music (http://youtube.com/watch?v=1_7i8x45HwE&search=cdi)
Hotel Mario's repetitive gameplay and music (http://youtube.com/watch?v=RkJO5gOWDvw&search=cdi)

Surely now you understand why I want to play these. Or, not at all... ;)

Cloral
06-04-2006, 03:31 AM
I don't know about the emulation of that system, but I had one and had the 2 sidescrolling Zelda games. I'll say right now - don't play them. They suck. The play control is abosultely horrid. It's not worth it to make your Virtual Boy look better by comparison.

Aliem
06-04-2006, 05:19 AM
Link: Faces of Evil (http://video-games.search.ebay.com/Link-Faces-of-Evil_Video-Games_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8QQsacatZ1249QQsatitleZLink Q3aQ20FacesQ20ofQ20Evil)
Zelda: Wand of Gamelon (http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&from=R10&satitle=Zelda%3A+Wand+of+Gamelon&sacat=1249%26catref%3DC6&bs=Search&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D1&coaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=ZIP%2FPostal&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=) (buy it now only)

I couldn't find anything on Zelda's Adventure though, which from what I've heard is the only semi-decent of the three Zelda titles, or Hotel Mario.

The console (http://cgi.ebay.com/PHILLIPS-CD-I-w-14-GAMES-CONT-MOVIES-REMOTE-MORE_W0QQitemZ8290492814QQcategoryZ62054QQssPageNa meZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem), which is currently at $41... Not too sure if that's a go though.

I hope that'll help you out a bit. :)

MottZilla
06-04-2006, 01:00 PM
Buy a 3DO if you want some game system that died and you never played. It's atleast better than the CDI. ;p Also last I heard there were CDI emulators but they likely never got far cause CDI and all the games SUCK. No one wants to take the time to emulate a system with no good games.

Cronic
06-04-2006, 05:16 PM
theyre neat to own, but no matter how much you wanna play em just don't do it ....just don't....

Mitsukara
06-05-2006, 01:30 AM
O RLY? (http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/8864/geeitsureisboringaroundhere2kw.jpg)

For those who are curious, if you look in the right places, these games can be emulated. Well, not sure about Zelda's adventure, but the other two can, definately. It requires knowing where to look/being able to look well enough, the patience to figure out how to set it up right, and preferably a gamepad because otherwise you'll be playing with- groan- the mouse (not optionally, either), but it can be done.

And all I've got to say is, these games are truly h4xx0rz. Seriously, they're utter crap, and they're pretty hilarious at it. Enjoyable in a twisted way...

Now, Mario Hotel... meh. It's interesting, and sort of like a real game, just a boring one.

Mario's Wacky Worlds is also quite obtainable, but it's sadly a very incomplete game (it's a prototype after all). It's fun to look around in, but there's nothing to really "play" outright that I've found- just some interesting-looking levels that haven't been fleshed out.

My judgement? The CD-i sucks, but if Wacky Worlds had been finished it might've saved it. Or at least made it something other than infamous radiant turd. As it is, it's quite interesting and amusing to explore if you dare, but not a good game system.

Personally, I think the Virtual Boy rocks; but wouldn't it be great to show people, "Now, this is my Virtual Boy" *groan* "But wait! This is my CD-i!" *gasp!* "Now, does'nt the Virtual Boy look good."

And then they'll club you and run for their lives :)

Seriously, if anyone has any experience with this system, I want details! Tell us about your misguided misadventures to hell! Don't be ashamed ;)

Or as Link says, "Golly!"

Oh yeah, one other thing: http://www.oldmen.ytmnd.com/

MottZilla
06-05-2006, 02:28 AM
Nothing was going to save the CDI. It was a doomed piece of shit from the start. Virtual Boy was awesome however they should have gotten some consumer views before launching it, and also it was probably too expensive and not marketed well enough. Also the whole red thing probably bothered alot of people.

But no question, I bet you 99.9% of people would rather have a Virtual Boy opposed to a CDI. Infact a sealed Virtual Boy still can go for 200$ or more.

Warlock
06-05-2006, 12:13 PM
Nothing was going to save the CDI. It was a doomed piece of shit from the start. Virtual Boy was awesome however they should have gotten some consumer views before launching it, and also it was probably too expensive and not marketed well enough. Also the whole red thing probably bothered alot of people.

But no question, I bet you 99.9% of people would rather have a Virtual Boy opposed to a CDI. Infact a sealed Virtual Boy still can go for 200$ or more.

Yeah, the fact it was only red and black was probably the main problem (main reason I never bought one). I also read that it was extremely uncomfortable after long play sessions to the point where it could hurt your neck or something.

The problem is, it was a great idea that just wasn't executed well. And while they could potentially do one *now* that would be bad-ass awesome (color, light-weight, etc), the fact that Virtual Boy bombed so hard means that it would still sell poorly and I doubt Nintendo would want to take the risk to begin with (i.e. "it's a failed idea" stance, like the original one they took towards CDs after Phillips CDi did horrible)

Cronic
06-05-2006, 12:16 PM
And while they could potentially do one *now* that would be bad-ass awesome (color, light-weight, etc), the fact that Virtual Boy bombed so hard means that it would still sell poorly

Give it about 15 years and they'll get back into it ...maybe sooner, but lets face it the power glove was just a wireless controller when ya think about it ...I don't think theres currently enough technology in the virtual department to justify such a rebirth at this point anyway.

MottZilla
06-05-2006, 01:06 PM
You'd be surprised what you could do with Virtual Reality today that you couldn't do all those years ago. It was far too early back then but now it is probably much more likely to do well. I'm sure in time we will see VR type games again. They were always popular for arcades since cost and bulkyness aren't problems there.

Warlock
06-05-2006, 04:23 PM
You'd be surprised what you could do with Virtual Reality today that you couldn't do all those years ago. It was far too early back then but now it is probably much more likely to do well. I'm sure in time we will see VR type games again. They were always popular for arcades since cost and bulkyness aren't problems there.

Yeah, I'm sure they could do awesome stuff, particularly with depth perception. In fact, I recall seeing some patents from Nintendo involving something like that a few years back (which I don't think amounted to anything they actually did - at least not publically).

But like I said, if they try to release another VR system, you'll get the inevitable "Look at Virtual Boy, this system will bomb" mentality that would hurt it too much in the sales. They sort of lost the public's trust that they can do such a thing. So it wouldn't really be cost-effective to try, at least not now. Maybe a few more years down the road when Virtual Boy is a long-gone memory. Or when the competition starts going that direction (and I'm sure at some point once the technology likely becomes more mainstream it will).

punkonjunk1024
06-14-2006, 03:33 PM
Seriously, virtual boy freaking ruled... and yes, it did make you sick, my 6 hour gaming spree on the wario game for that system proved it. I actually vomited. BUt shit, it was a fun system...

MottZilla
06-14-2006, 03:48 PM
Haha. It was a good system it was just too soon for it. The market wasn't ready. Gamers weren't ready. Technology probably wasn't ready.

punkonjunk1024
06-14-2006, 04:01 PM
well damnit, I was ready!

I remember hearing rumors that the revolution was going to be a headgear system where the camera systems were controlled by head movements... like IRL type of thing. It was all word of mouth though, so it coulda been total BS. anyone else hear that and what happed to it if they did?

MottZilla
06-14-2006, 08:05 PM
That would be a big step into Virtual Reality and it's totally possible they could do that. I really would love to see VR make a come back.

Grasshopper
06-14-2006, 08:48 PM
I'm proud to tell people I still have my Virtual Boy. I don't own many games for it, but that thing was pretty awesome in my opinion, even if it did make me not see straight after I stopped playing a game.

Yoshiman
06-14-2006, 09:45 PM
... I remember hearing rumors that the revolution was going to be a headgear system where the camera systems were controlled by head movements... like IRL type of thing. It was all word of mouth though, so it coulda been total BS. anyone else hear that and what happed to it if they did?
Rumour started by this video. (http://youtube.com/watch?v=kJRhQ1WOb4g&search=Nintendo%20ON)

punkonjunk1024
06-14-2006, 10:13 PM
500 Internal Server Error

Best. Video. Ever.

Warlock
06-14-2006, 11:24 PM
I've seen the video I think. Nothing special - clearly fan made.

I recall the gist of it being:
-Guy puts on head set
-They show SM 64 Castle, then zoom out to like a million of those castles.
-Some more crap I don't remember
-A "high resolution" Super Mario (clearly done by a 3d novice tho)
-then the video is corrupted and ends

Edit: Video works, try again. And I was right, that was the video I was thinking of.

punkonjunk1024
06-14-2006, 11:34 PM
well it sucks that was a rumor. I thought it was a scrapped nintendo idea.

MottZilla
06-15-2006, 12:57 AM
It's a really neat video. And some day perhaps we will get there.

MacWeirdo42
06-15-2006, 07:44 AM
I'm glad they didn't go that route... Doesn't really allow for the kind of multiplayer experience that the Wii is shooting for... I mean, sure, you could play over the Internet, but that's just not the same.

Warlock
06-15-2006, 10:37 AM
I'm glad they didn't go that route... Doesn't really allow for the kind of multiplayer experience that the Wii is shooting for... I mean, sure, you could play over the Internet, but that's just not the same.

Sure it does. Multiplayer would introduce the "Ninten-bat" which is a nerf bat used for smacking around the other player in multiplayer games!

Cloral
06-18-2006, 01:20 PM
I think the whole VR rumor was the result of people speculating on what the Revolution would be. They said it would be different from other consoles on the market, so people tried to think of what that might be like. And what they knew best was VR, so that was an obvious possability.

punkonjunk1024
06-18-2006, 08:25 PM
Video on nice connection...
AND HOLY SHIT.

That is sweet. Seems like a good idea. Holy crap that would rule... seems like it lacked some fundamental requirements... How would it now what you're hands are doing? It would need two gloves... or controllers. BUt still, sweet idea.

MottZilla
06-19-2006, 02:07 PM
VR could be done in a number of ways. No matter how you go though, the system/equipment would cost a considerable amount.

punkonjunk1024
06-19-2006, 03:09 PM
It would be worth it. For a system capable of what the nintendo on could do... I would easily pay 1000 dollars. If I held up my fucking arm and pushed buttons to fire and select my weapon, dodging required me to move... Dear god, if I could play a FPS in real time I would pay that for it. In a heartbeat.

It would be an ultimate videogame experience.

Warlock
06-19-2006, 03:29 PM
It would be worth it. For a system capable of what the nintendo on could do... I would easily pay 1000 dollars.

I wouldn't, especially knowing at that price the system would flop (due to lack of sales) and would have a horrible lineup :P

punkonjunk1024
06-19-2006, 03:35 PM
well obviously... if the lineup was nice looking. :P The virtual boy flopped, but that doesn't mean it isn't sweet. Plus I got 5 of them for 12 dollars each way back when it flopped. Hopefully we'll eventually find a way to prepare a system like that for relatively cheap... like a few hundred dollars. We'll see. I'm definately hopeful, though.

I'm not trying to rent-a-mod... but I'm liking the VR Discussion. Maybe this thread should be split?

MottZilla
06-19-2006, 03:47 PM
I don't see why, the old part of the topic is dead. Do you still have some of those Virtual Boys boxed? ;)

punkonjunk1024
06-19-2006, 03:55 PM
one in storage, somewhere... I can't find it, though. My mom saves everything... She's got an entire basement with wall to wall boxes that need "sorting"... it's in one of them. Another my uncle has, two of them got burned up in a garage fire, and the one I purchased to use is MIA, possibly stolen. *shrug* I'm not sure if I'll start playing the boxed one again when it's found, or if I'll sell it.

and I figured the old part was dead too, I just didn't know if anyone cared that much about getting way off topic. :shrug: