PDA

View Full Version : Windows 1.90?

bigjoe
06-03-2006, 02:21 AM
How easy would it be to port 1.90 to Windows for like, historical purposes and/or the ability to play old quests without bugs?

Considering the number of 1.90 quests that are already in the DB , I think a Windows version of it would be appropriate.

Exdeath
06-03-2006, 02:58 AM
I second that thought. My favorite quest (altadd) is made for 1.90. Although it plays in 1.92-163, the behavior of tribbles had been changed and the quest doesn't intend for tribbles to split indefinitely.

PS, on a side note, it would be cool if there were a screen flag and/or a quest flag that controlled whether tribble enemies behavied like 1.90 or current behavior.

Luigi
06-03-2006, 09:53 AM
I think someone's already suggested a Windows port of 1.90, a few pages down.

bigjoe
06-05-2006, 05:26 PM
Ah well, I guess theres not enough demand...

Still, I don't think it would be too hard. There is , after all, a Windows port of 1.0. And from what I've heard, there wasn't much trouble making it.

Maybe Mottzilla could help.

MottZilla
06-07-2006, 12:53 PM
I just had a thought about that, but I need to look at what version 1.90 was really. I just thought you know what would be cooler than anything would be to not just make a windows port but to make a port to SDL (another library than Allegro) and then also have the potential to port it to a console as many have homebrew development with SDL. Still it'd be a huge job. Thoughts like that are what make me interested in ZC again. :p

Dark Nation
06-07-2006, 01:43 PM
Well, if it's just the Tribbles that are the issue, then a quest rule can be added easily. "1.90 Tribble Behavior"

Thoughts?

Exdeath
06-07-2006, 04:20 PM
Well, if it's just the Tribbles that are the issue, then a quest rule can be added easily. "1.90 Tribble Behavior"

Thoughts?

Thanks for the interest in the tribble issue DN!

What I would suggest is a Quest rule as well as a screen flag. There are many quests that start you out with only a mirror shield or a blue candle or boomerang. 1.90 tribble behavior would be very necessary for these cases. Such quests may also want the current tribble behavior later in the quest when a sword is acquired. I'm sure that this suggestion would be acceptable.

Nicholas Steel
06-07-2006, 08:50 PM
so in 1.90 tribble's split into 2 normal ones.... and in newer versions they split into 2 tribble's? (if so then yes a rule and screen flag would be awesome)

Exdeath
06-07-2006, 09:07 PM
so in 1.90 tribble's split into 2 normal ones.... and in newer versions they split into 2 tribble's? (if so then yes a rule and screen flag would be awesome)

You've got it somewhat right. The behavior affected how the tribbles GREW not how they SPLIT. For Example:

A Zol Tribble would split into 2 Gel tribbles. If left alone, the 2 Gel tribbles would grow into 2 regular Zols.

Rakki
06-08-2006, 12:42 AM
I don't care either way about adding a quest rule for Tribbles, but I'd like to see a Windows port of 1.90 for a different reason. ZC 1.90 cannot directly run on Windows XP because it uses DOS. You have to find a DOS emulator and run 1.90 through that. That's kind of annoying for me, so, a real Windows version of 1.90 would be nice to see.

Nicholas Steel
06-08-2006, 01:15 AM
yea 1) they grew into new tribbles and 2) they grew into normal zols.

Dark Nation
06-08-2006, 07:44 AM
What bugs (other than the tribble issue) prevent 1.90 quests from playing correctly in 1.92, 2.10, or 2.11?

Also, in regards to a quest rule/screen flag... How about new enemies: Fake Tribble Zol, Fake Tribble Gel, Fake Tribble Vire, and Fake Tribble Keese. These would be the original Tribbles and would update automatically from the 1.90 quests. Of, they could be called Tribble Zol (1.90), Tribble Gel (1.90), Tribble Vire (1.90), and Tribble Keese (1.90). They would use the same tiles as the current tribble enemies.

Thoughts?

MottZilla
06-08-2006, 03:06 PM
More enemy type options definitely sounds good. And eliminating bugs that prevent the older quests from playing correctly would be nice too. I seem to remember awhile back some issue where quests became unplayable from thinks like secret combos changing to the wrong tile. I.E. Push a block and the stair case doesn't appear, just some other tile where it should be.

Ofcourse that was along time ago, but killing bugs that make older quests unplayable would definitely be something everyone should be interested in which means compiling a detailed list of bugs.

ShadowTiger
06-08-2006, 03:20 PM
Oh yeah. This. I'm reminded of that major but in Sabotage Dragoon stopping you from getting the wand because there was a spot on a waterfall you were supposed to bomb to turn it into a stairs of some sort, but instead, it'd turn into a dungeon wall corner. Definitely game-stopping.

If it's a priority, there should be little debate about how important it is to ensure that all quests are playable, considering that progress never degenerates backwards on purpose. :p

The fake zol rule sounds interesting. How will they be applied exactly though? It's a place-holder concept, I take it?

Dark Nation
06-08-2006, 03:47 PM
Well, the more I think about it, instead of a rule, just new enemy types. Then, you can mix and match on the same screen if you want.

Does someone feel like trying a 1.90 quest in 1.90 and then in 2.11 beta 10b and seeing what other differences there are?