PDA

View Full Version : 3D Platforming question

Darth Marsden
06-02-2006, 05:59 PM
Okay, so I recently replayed Super Mario 64 on my trusty N64 (yeah, apparently I'm one of the few hardcore people around today who hasn't thrown his away) and I got into the mood for that type of game. So I've had a rummage around my room to see what type of games I had that were similar and was surprised at what I found.

For the N64...
Super Mario 64
Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo Tooie
Donkey Kong 64

For the NGC/PS2...
Super Mario Sunshine
Vexx
Jak & Daxter (the sequels don't count 'cause they turned it into a GTA-wannabe series after the first game)

...and what was I surprised about? How few of these types of games I had. I'm not just talking about standard 3D action-adventures. I've got tons of those. I mean games that aren't about realism and vehicles and guns and stuff.

I mean good old fashioned FUN platformers. Where you can double jump and kill enemies by jumping on their heads. With objectives like 'Collect 100 coins for a star', 'Shoot all the enemies for a banana' and 'Reach the top of this ridiculously high and ludicrously dangerous tower for a power cell'. With lead characters who have an end goal of rescuing the princess and beating the bad guy, who handily escapes for the sequels.

You know?

And, seeing as I've already beaten those games a whole bunch of times, I turn to you guys. Could/would you mind recommend some more games like what I done described so I can have something fun and exciting to look forward to throughout the working day?

mikeron
06-02-2006, 07:51 PM
I think you may have to go 16bit. :shrug:

Darth Marsden
06-03-2006, 04:41 AM
I've tried, but sadly I find it very, very hard to do that. There must be some 3D platforming goodies out there I've missed, surely?

ctrl-alt-delete
06-03-2006, 12:15 PM
Let me look over what I have and I will get back to you with a list.

I am different from you...I have ALL of those games without all of the war games and shit.

ZomfgIts0rzlolo
06-03-2006, 12:57 PM
Rocket: Robot on Wheels for N64 was underrated and quite fun.

ShadowTiger
06-03-2006, 10:56 PM
The Ratchet & Clank series is absolutely out of this world. I've only played three, but I think I'll take the risk of generalizing three to encompass the previous two, ... and maybe even the fourth. It was Just That Fun.

For the PC, consider getting Heavy Metal FAKK2. Damn good platformer.

Darth Marsden
06-04-2006, 06:43 AM
Let me look over what I have and I will get back to you with a list.

I am different from you...I have ALL of those games without all of the war games and shit.
Not that different. I hate war games as well. And sports games. And realistic driving games.

BH4 - I've already got Heavy Metal, and yeah, it is fun. Except when I got stuck due to a bug. :(

So... Rocket: Robot on Wheels and the Ratchet & Clank series, you say? Right, I'll give 'em a try. Thanks guys.

ctrl-alt-delete
06-04-2006, 08:23 AM
Not that different. I hate war games as well. And sports games. And realistic driving games.

BH4 - I've already got Heavy Metal, and yeah, it is fun. Except when I got stuck due to a bug. :(

So... Rocket: Robot on Wheels and the Ratchet & Clank series, you say? Right, I'll give 'em a try. Thanks guys.

I apologize, I misinterpreted what you said in that first post.

Give me some time, I am still working on it. (My list.)

Aegix Drakan
06-04-2006, 09:26 AM
(yeah, apparently I'm one of the few hardcore people around today who hasn't thrown his away)

:rofl: I still have my N64, AND my SNES. Don't feel left out.

Er...I don't know, do you count 3D sonic as platforming?

If so then:
Sonic adventure DX,

sonic Adventure 2 battle

they are both really good.

Darth Marsden
06-04-2006, 12:57 PM
I've already got them. The whole Gamecube series (besides Sonic Riders) is currently resting on my shelf not being touched due to them my thinking they're not being as great as some people think. You are perfectly entitled to like them, and I have certainly had my moments with them, but they're more a lesson in patience then anything else, I feel.

And while technically they may be platformers, they're not the sort of games I'm after.

Darth Marsden
06-08-2006, 04:18 AM
Bump!

Tried Ratchet & Clank... good fun, even if it does get a bit repetative collecting bolts all the time.

And how's that list coming, c-a-d?

Nicholas Steel
06-09-2006, 07:12 AM
um... what happens when you beat k-rool for the last time in dk64? as i can never time the very last punch against him properly when he turns invisible and stuff... i assum beating him as chunky kong in the boxing ring results in the end of the game.

Darth Marsden
06-09-2006, 06:25 PM
Chunky Kong vs. King K. Rool (Last Match)

-=SPOILER=-

Dechipher
06-10-2006, 12:30 AM
Conker's Bad Fur Day.

Nuff said.

Darth Marsden
06-10-2006, 12:14 PM
Taken from my post in 'Greatest Games of all Time'...

Conker's Bad Fur Day - I think the only times I've laughed harder at a game were with Sam & Max and Monkey Island, and even they never dared to go as low as this game. It may have been somewhat frustrating in places, but what other game has you pollenating a sunflower? Also - is the remake as good as/better then/worse then the original N64 game? Just curious.

Darth Marsden
06-20-2006, 07:56 AM
Bump again. Feel free to warn me, mods.

So I've got the Ratchet and Clanks series, Robots, Vexx and Loony Tunes - Back in Action. They're not as good as, say, Mario 64, but they're similar and I'm getting plenty of enjoyment out of them regardless (Well, maybe not so much with Robots).

Still... can anyone recommend any more similar style games on the PS2 or GC?

And I'm still waiting on that list of yours, ctrl-alt-delete...

MottZilla
06-20-2006, 02:01 PM
There's no need to warn you, it was a fair bump.

I don't really know of many 3D platformers to mention. There are those Castlevania games on PS2 I guess.

Dechipher
06-20-2006, 03:08 PM
I remember seeing that Darth, but you didn't list it up there soI wasn't sure.

Darth Marsden
06-21-2006, 06:13 AM
I remember seeing that Darth, but you didn't list it up there soI wasn't sure.
Sorry, you've lost me. Remember seeing what?

punkonjunk1024
07-06-2006, 02:59 AM
Kirby64 was amazing, and pretty much every kirby game ever, for that matter. Kirby super star was good if you're gonna play SNES.

Darth Marsden
07-10-2006, 07:09 PM
Believe me, I have tried, repeatedly, to go 2D again, but it's damn near impossible. Notable exceptions have been Duke Nukem: Manhatten Project (more fun then a candy floss beard) and Earthworm Jim (which is just Earthworm Jim!), but as a rule I have great difficulty going back a dimension.

Besides, name a 2D game where you can wall-jump. Besides the new Super Mario Bros.

Cloral
07-10-2006, 08:20 PM
Super Metroid, to answer the wall jump question.

3D platform games have definately gotten better. But I still feel like the 2D platformers tend to give better play value. It just seems like that style of play is inherently better suited for two dimentions. There are plenty of game types that work really well in 3D, but I don't think they're one of the better examples.

{DSG}DarkRaven
07-10-2006, 11:02 PM
Besides, name a 2D game where you can wall-jump. Besides the new Super Mario Bros.

Metroid 2
Metroid: Fusion
Metroid ZM
All Megaman games since MMX1
Tiny Toon Adventures (NES)
Run Saber (SNES)
N (PC)
Double Dragon III (NES)

There's a few.

Dechipher
07-11-2006, 12:30 AM
Sorry, you've lost me. Remember seeing what?
Remember seeing Conker.

Darth Marsden
07-11-2006, 04:36 AM
Ah. Fair enough, Dechipher.

I guess I got the metaphorical shit kicked out of me with the wall-jumping question, didn't I?

While I grant you that 2D platforms are where the genre started and has some truly great games, I'm a 3D person and I love the sheer freedom that entails. I love the way you can climb up to the top of a tower and look out over an entire level. I love that you can rings rings around your opponents - literally. I love the new strategies that an extra dimension require.

So help me feed my addiction. Give me more games to play before I implode.

And I'm STILL waiting for that list of yours, Ctrl-Alt-Del.

redmage777
07-22-2006, 02:01 AM
I'm sure there are some "Spyro the Dragon" titles for those systems (I know PS1 as quite a few, and PS2 plays PS1 games...) Also if no ones mentioned it, there is Ape Escape.

Nicholas Steel
07-25-2006, 09:25 AM
just noticed your spoiler.... uh um i know about what you said and always get up-to the very last punch where he turns invisible but i always miss-time it and lose..... what happens when you do win?

Darth Marsden
07-25-2006, 09:47 AM
I don't know, I haven't gotten that far. However, try this. Not sure if it'll work or not, but give it a go and let me know what happens.

-=SPOILER=-

EDIT: Spiro games on the PS1 don't really do anything for me, which is irritating. They just seem a bit... soul-less, if that makes sense. Ape Escape, on the other hand, is a series I've tried and an enjoying very much. Thanks for the suggestions though.

And I'm thinking that Ctrl-Alt-Del never had a list at all, the big bluffer...

punkonjunk1024
07-25-2006, 02:17 PM
yeah basically spyro games are the gayest games on the whole planet.

Darth Marsden
07-25-2006, 02:55 PM
Not true. That'd be the 'Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?' series of games. The Spyro games are fine for kids, but for someone older (and wiser(!)) they just don't cut it. Trust me, I know a quality game when I see (or, indeed, play) it.

Cloral
07-25-2006, 04:52 PM
I have beaten DK64. Here's what happens as best as I remember:
-=SPOILER=-

jessethe2nd
07-26-2006, 03:16 AM
Here some games you may enjoy...

Body Harvest (http://www.nintendo.com/gamemini?gameid=m-Game-0000-63&)

Bombmerman 64 (http://www.nintendo.com/gamemini?gameid=m-Game-0000-64)

GEX 64: Enter The Gecko (http://www.nintendo.com/gamemini?gameid=m-Game-0000-118)

Mystical Ninja Staring Goemon (http://www.nintendo.com/gamemini?gameid=m-Game-0000-175)

Feel free to search for yourself at Game List (http://www.nintendo.com/gamelist?start=21&oord=asc&osort=title&sort=&cmd=prev&toggle=true&query=&tf=&cf=Adventure&sf=Nintendo+64&ef=&rf=&pf=&mf=&af=&vf=&nf=)

punkonjunk1024
07-26-2006, 05:52 AM
Bomberman 64 is insane. INSANE. Especially if you get that wierd secret world. I played it when I was younger, but I have a hunch that one of the levels wasn't beatable.

Spyro always struck me as terribly un-fleshed out. Like they didn't spend the time to give it actual appeal. I played it when I was younger, right when the first one came out... and it was why I hated playstation so much. Until I found tony hawk. :D

Darth Marsden
07-26-2006, 08:49 AM
Ah, good ol' Tony Hawk. Lookin' forward to the new one(s).

Thanks for those Jesse, I'll see if I can track down the I ones aven't got and give 'em a go. I have both Mystical Ninjas, although I've only played the first. Interesting, I think is the word. Wish I had a manual, it's damn near impossible to remember the controls...

And I enjoyed Bomberman, personally. I think. I only tried the ROM and that was back in the day where you couldn't see half the levels. I'll give it another go though.

vegeta1215
07-26-2006, 12:33 PM
I haven't played them, but a friend of mine says the Sly Cooper games on the PS2 are really good and pretty fun (not to mention funny)

Nicholas Steel
07-27-2006, 04:00 AM
indeed i own the whole sly raccoon series on ps2 and they f****g own as they have pretty much no bugs unless your a bit over adventurous... but are solid and awesome for playing... i recommend getting all 3 of them due to each being different in there own unique way.

approx 25$ (AUD [each]) for the 1st 2 games and 50$ (AUD) for the 3rd one.

Darth Marsden
07-27-2006, 06:14 AM
Yeah, already ahead of you on that one! I've played the demo of Sly 2 that was hidden in Ratchet & Clank 3 (hold down the shoulder buttons on the 'Load Game', 'New Game', etc menu) and I'm currently trying to track the series down, but the first one is so expensive over here! I can get the other two for about £10 each, but the first one is around £30, for some reason. Otherwse yeah, I'll get my hands on those ASAP.

So the list is now...

For the N64...
Banjo Kazooie series
Body Harvest
Bombmerman 64
Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo Tooie
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Donkey Kong 64
Mystical Ninja starring Goeman series
Rocket: Robot on Wheels
Super Mario 64

For the NGC...