PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow Camp was Amazing!!

Monica
06-02-2006, 04:17 PM
Hi, everyone, I'm home! My last year of camp was the most awesome ever!

I was in Cabin 9, where all the girls were over 18. Two of us were graduating this year. :grad: The theme was The Sky's the Limit (aka Outer Space)

We had Church service, Karaoke (I sang Listen to Your Heart) a "Drive in" movie (except it was in the gym) a Pro Wrestling match (not WWE but it was fantastic nonetheless) a Space Dome, a carnival with a rock wall, and of course Date Night.

We could have 2 dates, they gave us one moon and one star invitation to give our dates. I wasn't sure who to ask for the last year, but luckily 2 guys who are great, and are in the same cabin together, both asked me the first night at the same time, so I said yes to them both. They are both incredibly sweet and one is from South Africa and has a cool British accent and took five years of ballroom dancing there, and he was an amazing dancer. :) We rode around Camp in a convertable that night before going to the cafeteria.

The most incredible thing of all, was that for our graduation gift, someone bought us each a star in/near the Little Dipper! :surprise: There were four graduates, two girls, and two guys. We each got a huge plaque, and a kit that told us where our stars were, including a little card that said the stars were ours. I can't even tell you how amazing and sweet that was! They've never done that before! :shocking:

There is so much more that happened but I'm very tired and I just wrote the most interesting highlights. :)

Verman
06-02-2006, 04:41 PM
um....i guess....um congradulations are in order? um.... *whew* *wipe sweat* did you get thse TPS reports by the way? um.. your going to have to use them.. um ya, I sent you a memo....

moocow
06-02-2006, 04:44 PM
That sounds really awesome, Monica :) I'm glad you had a good time.

Monica
06-02-2006, 05:13 PM
um....i guess....um congradulations are in order? um.... *whew* *wipe sweat* did you get thse TPS reports by the way? um.. your going to have to use them.. um ya, I sent you a memo....

I'm sorry, what are TPS Reports?

Hehe, guess I got a bit too excited in my first post. I'm better now lol.

Toolie
06-02-2006, 05:40 PM
Unless you have a sweet deal with the IAU, no star is named after you dear. Those are always scams.

http://www.iau.org/BUYING_STAR_NAMES.244.0.html

And if you don't mind me asking, what exactly is a Rainbow Camp?

Monica
06-02-2006, 05:57 PM
Hmmm that's strange...oh well, maybe they didn't know that or maybe I wasn't supposed to find that site, lol.

Rainbow Camp is the name of Louisiana's muscular dystrophy camp. Hmmm I know who did it and I hope he wasn't scammed, he may have lost a lot of money...

Verman
06-05-2006, 08:40 AM
Oh! i wasn't making fun of you. I just had an office space flashback.. it happens sometimes. You havent seen it?

Glitch
06-05-2006, 11:53 AM
Unless you have a sweet deal with the IAU, no star is named after you dear. Those are always scams.

http://www.iau.org/BUYING_STAR_NAMES.244.0.html

And if you don't mind me asking, what exactly is a Rainbow Camp?

Way to crush a kid's happiness Toolbelt. :whap:

Cronic
06-05-2006, 12:22 PM
HiWe had Church service, Karaoke (I sang Listen to Your Heart) a "Drive in" movie (except it was in the gym) a Pro Wrestling match (not WWE but it was fantastic nonetheless) a Space Dome, a carnival with a rock wall, and of course Date Night.
:)

is this camping these days? wow how the times have changed... :P

heheh Glad you had such a good time monica :)

Dechipher
06-05-2006, 12:23 PM
Monica. You must watch Office Space. It's mandatory.

Congrats on camp. I've never been to any camp before, but your sounds like it kicked ass.

Monica
06-05-2006, 01:12 PM
Yes, Dechipher, I suppose it...did! ^_^

Nope I haven't seen Office Space, but I'll watch for it, lol.

Yes Chronic, that is how we camp, lol. And it's the only summer camp I was able to go to. Luckily they hold it at a Christian camp so it's got everything I could ever want in a summer camp. Help, regular campish stuff, and church campish stuff. And wonderful friends of course! :)

Beldaran
06-05-2006, 03:34 PM
Not to shit on your parade, but I fucking hate camp. The two worst experiences in my life were being trapped at camp I was forced to go to, surrounded by miserabely stupid human chattle to whom being cold and eating shitty food and having no access to books was considered a good time.

Monica
06-05-2006, 04:47 PM
Awww I'm sorry you had such a bad time, Beldaran. :( I know some regular summer camps are torture, but ours is like the opposite of those. The goal is to make the campers as comfortable and safe and have the most fun possible. :)

bigjoe
06-05-2006, 05:02 PM
Glad you had a great time, Monica!

Kinda makes me wish I had a camp to go to while I was growing up. The only thing I did similar was a YMCA summer program and that wasn't too great...

Toolie
06-05-2006, 05:19 PM
Awww I'm sorry you had such a bad time, Beldaran. :( I know some regular summer camps are torture, but ours is like the opposite of those. The goal is to make the campers as comfortable and safe and have the most fun possible. :)

Perhaps the word "retreat" or "vacation" are more appropriate. What you've described is the antonym of camping.

Monica
06-05-2006, 05:36 PM
Perhaps the word "retreat" or "vacation" are more appropriate. What you've described is the antonym of camping.

Hmmm, I guess so lol, but it is on a campground with a fishing pond, clorene pool, basketball court, cafeteria, gym, flagpole, pinetrees and 12 cabins with bunk beds (but the do have electricity). I thought that meant it was a camp lol.

There are some beds without bunks for campers who can't use them, and only counselors are allowed on top. They let you bring as much snacks and stuff as you want to keep in your cabin, plus they supply tons of snacks and sodas during the day.

We do have cafeteria food a lot but some days they will grill burgers, hotdogs, and cajun food and crawfish for us but there are always alternatives for cajun food and crawfish. The night of the date we had BBQ Chicken and during the dance they ordered pizzas...

I guess it's like a mix but it feels like camp to me lol.

Lilith
06-05-2006, 08:52 PM
I went to Gifted Camp once, which was just kind of like fun-school. It was pretty cool except the time this bitchy pretty girl and I (a mere dong) got in a gravel-throwing fight until we almost puked from all the dust we kicked up. We looked pretty great after that one. But yeah it was fun, that was when I was like 8. Oh, I went to another one when I was like 11, that was cool too, I took a poetry class and some kind of fake-math class which actually made me like math for awhile. Also everyone played with electronic pets all day. I miss it. They were more like classes than camps though, we're poor lol.

Jigglysaint
06-05-2006, 09:11 PM
I remember when I went to summer camp. It was a place for people who had social problems that came as concequence of having a learning disability. It was pretty fun, although it didn't have all the summer camp like aspects like a clorinated pool. It had programs that were arraged by person and by cabin. For example, in the morning people split from their cabins and were part of pre-assigned groups where they did things ranging from arts and crafts to building a new culture, to environmental awareness and even media. For the first year I was put in the former 2 where fortunatly the arts and crafts was really more of a creative expression(which was what it was called), so instead of having to make stuff that the counsolers told me to make, I got to choose. Unfortnatly I am bad with arts and crafts, but it was allright since I could do what I wanted. The second group was the one where I had to make a culture up, and unfortunatly I was stuck in with mostly girls, so it kind of went a tad fruity((henceforth known as the Superfriends, and OMG I can still recite the song we made up for it).

Anyway, in the afternoon we had cabin specific groups that went from stuff like using the huge ass trampoline, to an area with all sorts of climbinb challenges(which I refused to participate in), fishing, canoeing, and related stuff.

The best part was that it was 6 week residental, which meant a 6 week(save for visiting day and last day of camp) away from parents. Most of the friends I know never got that, one week or 2 for the most. It was also partily subsidized by the government, so my parents only payed $200. I was lucky to go twice in a row, then later on twice for one week each year as part of another program.

Monica
06-05-2006, 09:26 PM
Yeah we have planned activities every day but you don't have to do anything you don't feel like. I don't like Arts and Crafts either. We had 2 groups, A and B who alternated between activities, but they split them up by cabins. The big camp-wide activities like the wrestling match and Karaoke happened in the gym at night. Actually this year, we had about 80% free time every day which was cool, and you don't have to stay with your cabin but you do if you want the buddy award (which we won first place on Wednesday, and we NEVER stay together like that day lol)