PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody remember this from a while ago?

Jigglysaint
06-02-2006, 02:25 AM
http://www.armageddongames.net/archive/index.php/t-63405.html

You have to be into ZC to get it. I think most of the people who posted in that thread are gone now, but BH4 might remember. It's a shame that the site containing the origional is no longer able to be found.

DarkDragon
06-02-2006, 03:25 AM
?... you just posted a fake thread about a beta, right?
The funniest practical joke about ZC was when Cronic "leaked" a beta to the public; all kinds of people were attacking him for betraying DN's trust, etc, and were refusing to download the illicit beta, and urging other to do likewise.

Gerudo
06-02-2006, 03:40 AM
i was just reading that. slightly before my time here, but it was a good laugh.

Cronic
06-02-2006, 07:10 AM
oh that thing ...I don't think my rep ever fully recovered from all that but man was it good fun =)

Dark Nation
06-02-2006, 12:09 PM
I think another good joke was the poisoned beta 157 to punish those that were accessing betas when they shouldn't. Funniest part about that whole thing was that Glenn was the one who helped me warn all the beta testers not to download it. Now, Glenn is associating himself with the primary target of the poisoned beta (Kenage). Considering her anger about falling for that trap (she's still bitter, from what I understand) I wonder if she knows of Glenn's involvement in the matter. *shrug*

Jigglysaint
06-02-2006, 01:52 PM
Well what was funny about my hoax was that it was spurr of the moment, people got caught pretty good, and later on DN released the REAL beta 179 that had REAL lock blocks!

I was having fun googling my name last night.

Cronic
06-02-2006, 01:55 PM
(she's still bitter, from what I understand) I wonder if she knows of Glenn's involvement in the matter. *shrug*

well the way the net works prolly by now ...either way that was a good time! My only regret is that if i recall we sorta felt bad when we fucked up her pc ...hehe worth it though.

Dark Nation
06-02-2006, 02:33 PM
...if i recall we sorta felt bad...We? We nothing. You, maybe. Not we. :D

Cronic
06-02-2006, 03:11 PM
Lol feeling bad is a very relative statement ;)

MottZilla
06-02-2006, 04:08 PM
well the way the net works prolly by now ...either way that was a good time! My only regret is that if i recall we sorta felt bad when we fucked up her pc ...hehe worth it though.

As I remember the only people who's PCs were fucked up were ZC fans wanting to get ahold of the new beta. Kenage never even ran ZC. I don't remember her PC getting messed up.

bigjoe
06-02-2006, 04:13 PM
I was actually thinking it would be funny if someone pulled that prank again, but since you reminded people about it , no one will fall for it. =/

MottZilla
06-02-2006, 04:32 PM
Kenage asked me to post this for her since she doesn't want to login here and such.

I've had a number of people link me to this thread.

First of all, I find it both creepy and flattering that you all still think about me... well... several years after I was a part of this community. That is one of the reasons I have always given a helping hand to Glenn when he needed webspace or other resources.

Second, I find it amusing that you claim I "fell for your trap" when I never was affected personally. I did not run Windows at the time, but Linux.

I had been releasing new betas for the good part of a year. The directory that I was downloading the betas from was entirely public. Despite AGN being fully aware of my access to this directory for some months, NO EFFORT was made to change or privatize it to prevent my activities. I was also never personally contacted or asked to discontinue publishing the betas.

Instead of making the directory private to prevent leaks that were being indirectly condoned by AGN, somewhere along the line it was decided that it would be a good idea to place malicious code into a beta and place it into the directory for me to download and distribute. The only people who were targeted and eventually harmed by this were ZC fans themselves.

Although Glenn has the excuse of being immature and naive at that time, I fail to understand what excuse a professional coder and mature adult like Dark Nation would have for intentionally placing malicious code into a fan-made program for fans, all with the sole intention of harming fans.

We? We nothing. You, maybe. Not we.

Very ironic statement coming from an individual that caused over twenty people to reformat their computers and two to entirely replace their hard drives. Then again, I would assume one to be morally and ethically bankrupt to have gone along with such a "plan" in the first place; let alone BRAG about it now.

I have never done anything to personally harm the computers of others, unlike the likes of you.

Gosh, and people wonder why I have such a negative opinion of AGN even today.

Cronic
06-02-2006, 05:18 PM
Oh wow ...she's put way more thought into this i think then we have but thats pretty cool to know that 20 of those lil bastards saw the don't tread on me flag flyin high ...And like I don't even know where to laugh first ...at kenage, glenn, the 20 others she gave it to ...Ahh i love these walks down memory lane.

also... tell kenage i said...

2 entries found for ironic.
i·ron·ic ( P ) Pronunciation Key (-rnk) also i·ron·i·cal (-rn-kl)
adj.
Characterized by or constituting irony.
Given to the use of irony. See Synonyms at sarcastic.
Poignantly contrary to what was expected or intended: madness, an ironic fate for such a clear thinker.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i·roni·cal·ly adv.
i·roni·cal·ness n.
Usage Note: The words ironic, irony, and ironically are sometimes used of events and circumstances that might better be described as simply “coincidental” or “improbable,” in that they suggest no particular lessons about human vanity or folly. Thus 78 percent of the Usage Panel rejects the use of ironically in the sentence In 1969 Susie moved from Ithaca to California where she met her husband-to-be, who, ironically, also came from upstate New York. Some Panelists noted that this particular usage might be acceptable if Susie had in fact moved to California in order to find a husband, in which case the story could be taken as exemplifying the folly of supposing that we can know what fate has in store for us. By contrast, 73 percent accepted the sentence Ironically, even as the government was fulminating against American policy, American jeans and videocassettes were the hottest items in the stalls of the market, where the incongruity can be seen as an example of human inconsistency.

DarkDragon
06-02-2006, 11:10 PM
Lol, I never heard about this "poisoned" beta. What exactly did it do, corrupt their hard drives?

Cronic
06-02-2006, 11:18 PM
Lol, I never heard about this "poisoned" beta. What exactly did it do, corrupt their hard drives?

They downloaded a beta version of zc that was by no means ready for public consumption ...Sad but warnings are there for a reason :glare:

Dark Nation
06-02-2006, 11:46 PM
The directory that I was downloading the betas from was entirely public. Despite AGN being fully aware of my access to this directory for some months, NO EFFORT was made to change or privatize it to prevent my activities.So, a directory that has no external links pointing to it and the parent directory not having directory listing capabilities doesn't count as privatized? Someone guessed the path of the beta directory (not a hard one to guess, but it wasn't published publicly, so it was still a guess). This is analogous to guessing the password for a published directory. People knew they had no business being there. Any deterrent (such as not distributing the name of a web directory) is supposed to be sufficient for keeping people out of it, but there will always be those that try to go where they know they shouldn't be. As for knowing about the leak for over a year, I was only informed a few days before the poisoned beta went out, which was what promted its creation. Now, having said that, if I were in the same position again, I probably would just have made ZC save quests in an incompatible format with future betas. Or, add a feature (without any debugging or testing done on it whatsoever) that involves scanning and updating all quests on the system, rendering them unopenable, things that all beta testers have been warned may happen since the beta program began. Warn the testers not to use it and just let nature run its course. That way, nobody would have anything to say about it.

Dark Nation
06-03-2006, 09:10 PM
After thinking about all that has been said, I suppose it probably would have been better to put a simple warning first. Maybe a beta that, when run, only says something along the lines of "Please stop downloading the betas." Then, move all further betas to another location. It was never my intent to cause permanent damage. If that had been my intent, I would have had the beta delete the partition tables for any drives it found on the system instead of just renaming the windows fonts folder. My intent was to cause an inconvenience to those who ran the beta. A major inconvenience perhaps, but just an inconvenience none the less. I'm sorry for any collateral damage the beta may have caused. My first couple of posts in this thread are an example of what happens when you post things without a good night's sleep the night before.

Cronic
06-03-2006, 11:49 PM
After thinking about all that has been said, I suppose it probably would have been better to put a simple warning first. Maybe a beta that, when run, only says something along the lines of "Please stop downloading the betas." Then, move all further betas to another location. It was never my intent to cause permanent damage. If that had been my intent, I would have had the beta delete the partition tables for any drives it found on the system instead of just renaming the windows fonts folder. My intent was to cause an inconvenience to those who ran the beta. A major inconvenience perhaps, but just an inconvenience none the less. I'm sorry for any collateral damage the beta may have caused. My first couple of posts in this thread are an example of what happens when you post things without a good night's sleep the night before.

woah if that were the case i'd applaud your comments but lets face it man Kenage is full of shit and it's highly questionabl;e as to whether or not it was anyone let alone 20 people

Those kids were doing what they were doing not even out of interest for the program itself, but rather to just be assholes ...I don't think you should cry for them argentina cause if ya ask me theyre all crying wolf ...But you've always been the better man which is why i've always listened ;) still though guilt is not for them my friend as noble as it seems they just aren't worth it.

gdorf
06-04-2006, 01:32 AM
I wouldn't feel too bad DN. Anyone who can blame a failed hard drive on that beta doesn't know much about computers. :shrug: