PDA

View Full Version : Sony "didn't steal" Wii motion sensing

Warlock
06-01-2006, 11:25 AM
http://revolution.ign.com/articles/710/710760p1.html

I read that and laughed. He even uses a comparison like the N64 stole PSX's 3d technology (which technically - Sony stole first.. they were developing the PSX for Nintendo!). Like it's not really stealing, just two companies with the same idea... Just like they didn't steal the rumble feature (and are paying the price for that now). Or the analog stick.

I mean, it's not exactly the same way Wii's works (read: much crappier), but it's clearly an "oh no, Nintendo has motion sensors in their controller - we need it too!" issue in my book. I mean, honestly, how long does that really take to do? Nintendo unveals Revolution about a year ago at e3, that's plenty of time for Sony to add that to the PS3 - and notice the controller also completely changed (back to Dual Shock design) in that time too.

Anyways, I found that article funny. He goes on to talk about how PS3 is better because it has a standard controller and like the motion sensor will somehow be better than Nintendo's (honestly, how the PS3's will not end up as "gimmicky" I don't know.. what can you honestly use tilt motion for? Nintendo's works because the controller and gameplay is completely built around motion - it's not just tacked on).

I was actually all geared up to get PS3 but I swear every time Sony opens their mouth I question it more and more.

goKi
06-01-2006, 11:28 AM
Sony's best strategy would be to shut their mouths. Every damn time someone says something cocky, stupid and obviously a complete lie, they lose a few thousand sales.

Warlock
06-01-2006, 11:41 AM
I'd also like to point out this nice article from Microsoft:
http://revolution.ign.com/articles/710/710381p1.html

It's linked to on the Wii page but I think he's clearly talking more about the PS3's (he seems to be refering to the "tilt" style of motion sensing). He brings up great points. For one, Microsoft has tried this on PC and it failed. Like he says, you move the controller without thinking and bam, you're a pancake.

ctrl-alt-delete
06-01-2006, 11:49 AM
I hate Sony. I will never purchase another product that they create. They make me sick.

{DSG}DarkRaven
06-01-2006, 12:07 PM
I hate Sony. I will never purchase another product that they create. They make me sick.

But what if they go into pharmeceuticals and create a knock-off Pepto Bismol? Oh, the irony.

The PS3 motion sensor thing could easily work, despite the fact that the controller isn't built around motion sensing like the Wii controller. That being said, I'm in agreement that it's basically a solution from the marketing department (something akin to last falls trio of "aliens invade from the ocean" dramas on the major TV networks [Surface, Invasion, and Threshold, on NBC, ABC, and CBS respectively], none of which are being renewed for a second season at the moment), and since it's not part of a motion based controller, the applications will not be nearly as profound. I doubt Sony and it's developers have or ever will put for the amount of effort Nintendo has, and that's going to show at launch.

Still, it could have some uses and even some strengths over the Wii remote, since it's form factor allows for a different method of use. It could be put to some good use in FPS games, flight simulators, or sports games. Sony may be a copycat, and their system may be centered on graphics, and it may cost $500 (okay, it will cost $500), but I wouldn't put it past them to get some use out of the gimmick, even if Nintendo is far superior.

vegeta1215
06-01-2006, 12:38 PM
Sony didn't steal "Wii" motion sensing, they stole "Kirby Tilt n Tumble" motion sensing.

Warlock
06-01-2006, 12:57 PM
Sony didn't steal "Wii" motion sensing, they stole "Kirby Tilt n Tumble" motion sensing.

Yeah, I actually wonder if KTnT predates even the Microsoft Sidewinder controllers (PC) which also use that.

But I do think they stole the "concept" from Nintendo. No way in hell those controllers would have the tilt thing if Nintendo's controller was not motion sensitive.

Gerudo
06-01-2006, 01:15 PM
wtf would you use tilt-sensing for in a console? i can see handhelds, but unless it's something for a boating game (hyro-thunder anyone?), or a flying game (ace combat or whatever), i see it as being absolutely useless.

edit:
fuck, i just repeated DarkRaven... goddamnit...

Warlock
06-01-2006, 01:37 PM
wtf would you use tilt-sensing for in a console? i can see handhelds, but unless it's something for a boating game (hyro-thunder anyone?), or a flying game (ace combat or whatever), i see it as being absolutely useless.

edit:
fuck, i just repeated DarkRaven... goddamnit...

Exactly, there is really no application for it. Flight simulators are about it. Or quirky titles like Kirby's Tilt n' Tumble (or pinball-y stuff like that). Otherwise, such a worthless feature.

Dark Knight
06-01-2006, 01:43 PM
Buh, "tilt sensing" would be a pain even for flight simulators. There are far too many times in which you would accidently move the controller, whether it be coughing, sneezing or a random dumbass walking in front of you and tripping over the controller cord. I'd rather not fly into a wall, random building or the ground because of something that's completely out my hands.

Warlock
06-01-2006, 02:45 PM
Buh, "tilt sensing" would be a pain even for flight simulators. There are far too many times in which you would accidently move the controller, whether it be coughing, sneezing or a random dumbass walking in front of you and tripping over the controller cord. I'd rather not fly into a wall, random building or the ground because of something that's completely out my hands.

Yup. I honestly don't know what Sony was thinking with this.

Cronic
06-01-2006, 04:46 PM
remember when nintendo originally came up with this idea in the late 80s...power glove maybe?

The power glove for the record found more of a home teaching beginer robotics majors than in the gaming world ...hopefully theyve gone a long way with the technology, though for the record if used correctly the power glove can be used and used well ...I beat zelda 2 with it : shrugg :

punkonjunk1024
06-14-2006, 03:38 PM
I so played half way through mario 3 with the power glove. that thing was.... I don't even know. Dear god I'm glad they never brought that idea back.

War Lord
06-14-2006, 09:04 PM
I loved playing through Mike Tyson's Punch Out with the glove.
Made the game a lot more fun.