PDA

View Full Version : greatest games of all time

Brasel
05-31-2006, 07:49 PM
http://www.filibustercartoons.com/games.htm

I thought this was kind of interesting. This guy compiled a lot of different greatest video game lists, and then studied the results. By the numbers, it seems that Mario 64 is the greatest game of all time. I completely disagree but, its interesting nonetheless.

My top 10:
1. Tetris
2. Final Fantasy VI
3. Super Mario Bros
4. Mega Man 2
5. Mega Man X
6. Super Mario Bros 3
7. The Elder Scrolls III : Morrowind
8. Metal Gear Solid
9. Space Invaders
10. The Legend of Zelda : A Link to the Past

Honerable Mentions:
The Legend of Zelda
Street Fighter II Turbo
Galaga
Final Fantasy Tactics

Sir_Johnamus
05-31-2006, 09:23 PM
Mine:
1.Super Metroid
2.Tales of Symphonia
3.Link to the Past
4.Mega Man 64
5.LoZ - Oracle of Seasons
6.Tetris
7.Tales of Phantasia
8.Super Smash Bros. Melee
9.Loz
10.Final Fantasy VII

MottZilla
05-31-2006, 09:25 PM
Too many games and too little time for me to try to narrow down a top ten. Currently I'm really enjoying Perfect Dark Zero.

SomaLlama
05-31-2006, 09:35 PM
the original conker's bad fur day was great :O

The Destroyed
05-31-2006, 09:43 PM
But the new one on Xbox is better, Conker Live and Reloaded. Me and my friend played it, but it skipped at the part where you are a bat in your uncle's mansion.

On topic...My favorite game is Chrono Trigger. I love to beat Lavos at extremely low levels, the lowest I beat him at, was--
Ayla-Lv 37
Glenn-Lv 35
Magus-Lv33
It was before I had got Crono back from the dead. Took me about an hour.

Lilith
06-01-2006, 12:06 AM
King's Quest, loool.

Cronic
06-01-2006, 12:41 AM
i hate rpgs ...hat ethe final fantasy series almost as a whole but i gotta sa ff7 ...they poured their hearts into that shit

Rambly
06-01-2006, 01:17 AM
By the numbers, it seems that Mario 64 is the greatest game of all time. I completely disagree but, its interesting nonetheless.
Mario 64 probably isn't the greatest game of all time, but it's certainly one of the most innovative and original. It's not really surprising that it's so popular.

I'd post a list of my favorite games, but if I did it'd change in like, two minutes. I can't seem to keep a solid list of games that I think are the best. :/

Revfan9
06-01-2006, 01:55 AM
Neither can I.

Nicholas Steel
06-01-2006, 02:11 AM
street gangs (pal [nes]) / river city ransom (ntsc [nes])

punkonjunk1024
06-01-2006, 09:57 AM
i hate rpgs ...hat ethe final fantasy series almost as a whole but i gotta sa ff7 ...they poured their hearts into that shit

wtf was FF7 not that good. 8 FUCKING PWNZORED.
7... wasn't translated well, and had relatively simple characters, compared to 6 and 8.

It was a good game, don't get me wrong, but jesus, it wasn't that good.

{DSG}DarkRaven
06-01-2006, 12:10 PM
Making a top ten list of all video games, console, PC, or otherwise, is impossible. Im. Poss. Ible. And that's that.

If it was a contest for the top ten platformers, though, Mario 64 has a very definite chance to come in first, especially if you narrow it down to the top ten 3d platformers.

Cronic
06-01-2006, 12:46 PM
wtf was FF7 not that good. 8 FUCKING PWNZORED.
7... wasn't translated well, and had relatively simple characters, compared to 6 and 8.

It was a good game, don't get me wrong, but jesus, it wasn't that good.

8....Thats gotta be the hardest I'll laugh this morning man ...a buncha private school kids run around saving the world through diplomacy and card games? I played through and kept expecting something exciting to happen ...something never did. sorry dude 8 sucked

Petoe
06-01-2006, 01:25 PM
Greatest games of all time? I'm gonna post my "TOP 10 greatest games ever" list.
(Making a top ten list of all video games is easy for me as I've done it many times on numerous boards and I've been thinking really hard about my list.)

1. Super Mario Bros. 3 [NES]
- The most perfect video game ever created. Even today this game is insanely fun to play.

2. Tetris
- Like SMB3, this game is just as fun nowadays as it was back in the 80's. The best puzzle game ever. So addictive.

3. Zelda - Majora's Mask [N64]
- OoT was revolutionary/groundbreaking etc. and of course a solid and fantastic game, but Majora's Mask improves in every area (graphics, sound, challenge, uniqueness, atmosphere etc) so it takes the place as the best adventure game on my list.

4. Super Mario 64 [N64]
- 3D gaming at its finest. Great control, interesting and fun levels, catchy music, decent challenge for a Mario game... So much to do, so much to collect, and it never gets boring.

5. Perfect Dark [N64]
- Rare's finest game ever. Audiovisually this game was absolutely astounding for an N64 game, but it is even better gameplay wise. The single player alone makes this the best FPS game ever, but the Battle Simulator... hundreds of hours fun with frineds! So many options, so much customizion... This FPS game is just unbeatable.

6. Metroid Prime [GCN]
- It's unbeliveable how Metroid translated from 2D to 3D. Metroid Prime is a fun, lenghty and challenging game with a really fantastic atmosphere. It really feels like you're Samus. MP is best in the Metroid series. GameCube's finest game.

7. Final Fantasy VI [SNES]
- Beautiful graphics, perfectly fitting soundtrack, great story and most lovable/hatable(is that english?) characters ever. The finest RPG ever created and also my favorite game ever.

8. Doom [PC]
- Over 10 years ago I remember there was a time in my life when all I did was play Doom. :) Who cares about the graphics? This game still kicks ass.

9. Resident Evil 4 [GCN]
- One of the most beautiful games ever created so far. Not just technically, but all the detail and design... woah. Not the scariest game ever, but offers brilliant gameplay and enoguh scares/disturbing moments.

10. Sim City 2000 [PC]
- PC gaming at its finest. ;) These are the kind of games PC is good for. I never get bored building my own city.

MottZilla
06-01-2006, 02:06 PM
You know you might think Resident Evil 4 looks great, but it's already outdated. Though it does have plenty of detail and is nice. But the gameplay and design are all that age well. That is why games like SMB3 would be high on my list. And the SMB3 remake in SM All-stars made it so awesome.

Dechipher
06-01-2006, 02:27 PM
I thought the original Sim City was better than Sim City 2000. Also, I enjoy Banjo Kazooie more than SM64, though I don't know why.

Your list is flawed.
For me...

Super Mario RPG
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Final Fantasy IV
The Legend of Kyrandia

and somethign else. I dunno what though. I wouldn't say these are the greatest games of all time, but they are my favorites.

Aliem
06-01-2006, 02:57 PM
Star Ocean, Chrono Trigger, Super Mario Bros 3, MegaMan 2, and MegaMan Legends for me <3<3

8....Thats gotta be the hardest I'll laugh this morning man ...a buncha private school kids run around saving the world through diplomacy and card games? I played through and kept expecting something exciting to happen ...something never did. sorry dude 8 suckedAhh, that made my day. Thank you.

likesallusions
06-01-2006, 04:19 PM
I haven't really played forever,

LoZ Ocarina of Time
Tales of Symphonia
LoZ Majora's Mask
Super Smash Bros Melee

I can't decide on anymore, and those are running so close that might not be in any particular order. Well, there ya go. :D

MottZilla
06-01-2006, 08:20 PM
5. Perfect Dark [N64]
- Rare's finest game ever. Audiovisually this game was absolutely astounding for an N64 game, but it is even better gameplay wise. The single player alone makes this the best FPS game ever, but the Battle Simulator... hundreds of hours fun with frineds! So many options, so much customizion... This FPS game is just unbeatable.

I missed this on my other reply. But oh yes, Perfect Dark, sooooo much replay value. The only thing is that the frame rate SUCKED. It's amazing how playable it was. If you overclocked your N64 it was alot more playable. Did you know though that the European version of PD64 you couldn't have as many bots? No real reason you just couldn't.

Now I have to disagree about unbeatable because Perfect Dark Zero is pretty fucking awesome. It certainly lived up to the name for me. Only now you can play ONLINE. =)

Petoe
06-01-2006, 10:55 PM
I missed this on my other reply. But oh yes, Perfect Dark, sooooo much replay value. The only thing is that the frame rate SUCKED. It's amazing how playable it was. If you overclocked your N64 it was alot more playable. Did you know though that the European version of PD64 you couldn't have as many bots? No real reason you just couldn't.

Now I have to disagree about unbeatable because Perfect Dark Zero is pretty fucking awesome. It certainly lived up to the name for me. Only now you can play ONLINE. =)

Well I have the European version of PD. ;)
The framerate indeed sucks when you play with 3 friends. With 2 frineds... well it still sucks but it is playable.

And I don't think PDZ is as hot as PD, but I haven't played PDZ much yet so I can't give a valid opinion. Oh and Xboxes have never been my favorite systems... :P

DarkDragon
06-01-2006, 11:30 PM
10. Sonic 3 & Knuckles
9. Final Fantasy VII
8. Super Mario RPG
7. Neverwinter Nights
6. Final Fantasy Tactics
5. Counterstrike
4. Chrono Trigger
3. Starcraft

2. Link to the Past
The pinnacle of the Zelda series, surpassing all the others in every way except for dungeon design (Link's Awakening's dungeons are more ingenious and devious). Pure joy.

1. Doom/Doom II
Not only was it technologically groundbreaking, the harbinger of the second generation of FPS, and the game that first thrust computer gaming into mainstream culture, but Doom has also truly stood the test of time and remains the most perfectly balanced and exhilarating frag-fest of all time. Even Half-life II, the best FPS of recent memory falls short of Doom's nearly flawless gameplay.

DarkDragoonX
06-02-2006, 01:53 AM
My top 10:

1. Planescape: Torment
2. Fallout 2
3. LUNAR: Silver Star Story
4. Deus Ex
5. Dragon Warrior 3
6. The Legend of Zelda
7. Final Fantasy
8. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
9. Doom 2
10. Mega Man X

There are actually a shitload of games I can think of that also deserve a place on my "top ten" list... these are just the games that came readily to mind. Trying to limit "best games" to such a short list is hard.

Darth Marsden
06-02-2006, 05:34 PM
It's very difficult for me to arrange 10 games into a specific order. I can give you the ten, but don't ask me to tell you which I believe is better then others - they're all great in their own unique ways.

Half-Life - This one still holds a place in my heart - if I had to pick a number one, it'd be this one. It's just everything a perfect FPS should be, and if you look around and replace the models, it can still holds its weight against modern games.

Super Mario 64 - I recently replayed this - it's still untouched, even by its sequel(s). An absolute joy to play and absolutely everything a platformer should be. We need more games like this. Well, good ones, that is. Incidentally, what's the DS version like?

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - I have many a fond memory of this. Really should play the master quest sometime... It took everything that was great about the 2D games, put it in a 3D world and then made it even better. Absolutely amazing.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles - The best game of the series. I still have the zones memorised through and through. The series went downhill from here, but we still have the ultimate rush of making that run from one end of the level the other without stopping ONCE. That's why the DS one works - Sonic is about SPEED.

Final Fantasy VII - Yes, the sequels may have had better stories, graphics, etc. But they didn't have big kickass swords now, did they? Plus, I can admit to crying when playing it, something I can't say about many games.

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City - It was the ultimate collection of everything that was fun in GTA3 with all the glory of the 80s and none of the realism of the sequel. This is better then San Andreas, whatever you might say.

Goldeneye - I own at this in multiplayer, and I think that says it all, really. I have a thing against console FPS', but this was everything the genre needed at exactly the right time. The Doom II port was nice, but the sooner this is remade in the Source engine, the better.

Conker's Bad Fur Day - I think the only times I've laughed harder at a game were with Sam & Max and Monkey Island, and even they never dared to go as low as this game. It may have been somewhat frustrating in places, but what other game has you pollenating a sunflower? Also - is the remake as good as/better then/worse then the original N64 game? Just curious.

Chrono Trigger - I have a problem with RPGs. Even with the best ones, I can play so far and then just... get bored and drift away. Not so with Chrono Trigger. No random battles (you know what I mean), a compelling story, a lead character THAT NEVER TALKS and, best of all, NEW GAME +!!! More games need that option, they really do.

Monkey Island - They're all so good it's hard to pick one, but if I had to, I'd go for the second. These are some of the funniest adventure games you'll ever play, and if you haven't tried them you deserve to be smacked about the head with a rubber chicken with a pulley in the middle. Pure genius.

Honourable mentions go to: Sam & Max Hit the Road and most other LucasArts adventure games, Planescape: Torment, Deus Ex, every other Final Fantasy game, Unreal I, II and Tournament, every other Zelda game, the Banjo-Tooie series, the Jak (and Daxter, according to the original game) series, the Breath of Fire series and the Star Wars Dark Forces series. The sooner they finish that remake of the original for jedi Academy the sooner the gaming world can have a collective orgasm.

RoamMaster
06-04-2006, 07:57 PM
1. Lords Of Magic
2. Super Street Fighter
3. Delta Force
4. Shinobi 3
5. Lords Of the Realm 2
6. U.N Squadron
7. Betrayal At Krondor
8. Tie Fighter
9. Soul Caliber
10. Total Annihilation

You know writing out the list suprised me. I always thought my list would be really RTS heavy, only three.

Archibaldo
06-04-2006, 08:10 PM
1. World of Warcraft
2. James Bond 007: Goldeneye
3. Tetris
4. Tales of Symphonia
5. Baten Kaitos
6. KotoR 2: The Sith Lords
7. SSBM
8. Legend of Zelda: Orcarina of Time
9. Golden Sun 1&2
10. Fire Emblem

gdorf
06-05-2006, 12:07 AM
1. Warcraft III
2. TLOZ
3. Sim City 2000
4. OoT
5. Xcom UFO Defense
6. Xcom Apolalypse
7. Half life 2
8. FFVII
9. Neverwinter nights
10. SMB 3
11. Mariocart.

In no particular order.

me2
06-05-2006, 12:16 AM
No order.

Katamari Damacy
We Love Katamari
Guitar Hero
Megaman X4
Keyboard Mania 3rd Mix
Tetris
Amplitude
Super Mario Brothers 3
Beatmania IIDX 12th Style
TLoZ: Link's Awakening

Golden Warrior
06-09-2006, 08:51 PM
1. Final Fantasy VI
2. Star Ocean
3. Megan Man X
4. Mega Man 2
5. Super Mario Brothers 3
6. Mario 64
7. Star Tropics
8. Tetris
9. Zelda 1
10. Tales of Destiny

Mitsukara
06-09-2006, 10:36 PM
1. Zelda: The Wand of Gamelon
2. Link: The Faces of Evil
3. E.T.
4. Snake's Revenge
5. Torrente!
6. Bad Dudes
7. Gilligan's Island
8. Steve Segall is the Final Option (too awesome for official release!)
9. Mario's Time Machine
10. Mario is Missing

^.-

What? You don't like that list?! Well, hmph. Fine, a list of the eleventh-through-twentieth greatest games of all time (that I've yet played, anyway):

Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario World
Super Mario RPG
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Final Fantasy V
Dragon Quest/Warrior VII
Rockman/Mega Man X 2
Donkey Kong Country 2

I tried to set an order to these and failed. All excellent, seriously.

Master Ghaleon
06-09-2006, 10:57 PM
Goldeneye
Mariocart - loved them all
S.M.B. 3
Shining Force - loved them all
World of Warcraft
Lunar - all of them
Golden Sun - only played the first one

In no order ;)