PDA

View Full Version : Beta 11 progress?

Dlbrooks33
05-31-2006, 03:44 PM
The only I've seen is from teh previous progress thread. Are thereany more bug fixes/additions?

bigjoe
05-31-2006, 04:47 PM
I would have to guess that the reason there has been no progress threads is because there is an uber secret super surprise in the next version.

That, or nobody is doing jack.

WindStrike
05-31-2006, 08:44 PM
Yon developers probably have either forgotten, don't have enough time, or just don't feel like posting anything. And odds are, those good ol' developers are doing a lot more than jack. If you could wait for the first released beta (5) for over a year, then I'm sure you could easily wait for beta 11. And if yer kin wait fer somethin' else la'er dis year, den yer kin wait fer beta 'leven. (I'm sorta in like some sort of pirate mood right now, I dunno...)

ShadowTiger
05-31-2006, 09:03 PM
Remember guys, there's a hidden forum just at the bottom of all of these Beta forums that we normal members can't see. :p That's more than likely where all the developers are conversing, and getting ready to unleash a new beta on us whenever they deem it ready for public testing.

Heck, just this morning, one of the devs and a member and I were hammering out a new beta feature. Granted, it's nothing super secret, but if it's not quite finished yet, better to not arouse a feeling of intense excitement before the feature is done, or else it might get pulled from the drawing board before you even get to see it. ;-D Heheh. I think that actually happened to one of the betas recently.

EDIT: ... Just an FYI, for all those reading, ... Takuya813, below this post, -is- a dev of sorts. However, if you bug him with features or overinundate his PM box, I will personally do something absolutely awful to your front door. ;)

Takuya
05-31-2006, 10:10 PM
Actually, us Devs are making great progress. It's a jungle out there, but we've gotten a lot done, I think. I can assure you that bugfixes and features will be pretty neat in b11. =)

Revfan9
06-01-2006, 01:57 AM
This "big secret" is probably just a speaker in the wiimote.

ShadowTiger
06-01-2006, 09:08 AM
This "big secret" is probably just a speaker in the wiimote.

... O_O ... ... How the hell did you know?!!?

lol; I'll have you know, that the "big secret" of the beta is a single entity, composed of the following parts:

Enemy Editor
Item Editor
Roc's Feather
Random Dungeon Generator
Complete Bugfix of the entire game
Scrolling Strings
Cutscene Generator
Functional Height Variables
Your momma
A built-in refrigerator
Alligator sprites for those warm summer afternoons
Link was given a haircut
A new type of moblin: Moblin 6. (It's so cool, we can't even tell you what it is.)
Real Ganondorf Battles
A walk-in Microwave
A complete DVD set of The Simpsons, season ten
A demo disc of Anarchy Online, Sesame Street Edition
Your momma
An entirely new set of graphics, composed from SD3, SD2, SD1, SD0, SD-1, SD-2, ToP, ToS, ToO, OoT, ToT, OOK, OMG, WTF, BBQ, TLA, Duke Nukem 1, 2, Forever, Zero hour, thirteenth hour, and seven O'clock in the morning
Waffle Irons! :kawaii:'
A place to store strings when you're not using them
A new wand, which fires magic at moblins, but is only effective against Lynel 2's
A Brand New Car! :D
Your momma
This is not a functional list item
Free lunch with every four hundredth post
Feature request form (Crashes the system at the moment)
Quest Autocomplete
Yo Momma, man. .. Seriously

Um ... Just wait for it to be done. :p If you find any bugs, it'd be nice if they could be fixed before the new release, okay? :kawaii:''

*b*
06-01-2006, 02:31 PM
... O_O ... ... How the hell did you know?!!?

lol; I'll have you know, that the "big secret" of the beta is a single entity, composed of the following parts:

Enemy Editor
Item Editor
Roc's Feather
Random Dungeon Generator
Complete Bugfix of the entire game
Scrolling Strings
Cutscene Generator
Functional Height Variables
Your momma
A built-in refrigerator
Alligator sprites for those warm summer afternoons
Link was given a haircut
A new type of moblin: Moblin 6. (It's so cool, we can't even tell you what it is.)
Real Ganondorf Battles
A walk-in Microwave
A complete DVD set of The Simpsons, season ten
A demo disc of Anarchy Online, Sesame Street Edition
Your momma
An entirely new set of graphics, composed from SD3, SD2, SD1, SD0, SD-1, SD-2, ToP, ToS, ToO, OoT, ToT, OOK, OMG, WTF, BBQ, TLA, Duke Nukem 1, 2, Forever, Zero hour, thirteenth hour, and seven O'clock in the morning
Waffle Irons! :kawaii:'
A place to store strings when you're not using them
A new wand, which fires magic at moblins, but is only effective against Lynel 2's
A Brand New Car! :D
Your momma
This is not a functional list item
Free lunch with every four hundredth post
Feature request form (Crashes the system at the moment)
Quest Autocomplete
Yo Momma, man. .. Seriously

Um ... Just wait for it to be done. :p If you find any bugs, it'd be nice if they could be fixed before the new release, okay? :kawaii:''
I need to get a PHD, so I can declare Josh clinically insane

I'm praying for Z3 style scrolling for screens, but still keeping the screen system intact (edit each map screen-by-screen)

Takuya
06-01-2006, 04:14 PM
by Z3 Style scrolling, you mean screens that flow into one another, like, without screen transitions... AKA.. like Megaman X, where you just run and there are no "screens" ?

*b*
06-01-2006, 05:44 PM
somewhat. there'd still be sections that scroll from one screen to another, but overall, the view would follow Link wherever he goes

an idea for this could be making a 3x3 screen block, and when Link reaches the edge of it, it scrolls to the next 3x3 screens. like one screen, only triple the dimensions. that'd be cool

Gerudo
06-01-2006, 05:44 PM
yes and no...

Z3 scrolling is like where you go so far, with Link being the center of the screen, and once every so far, you do have a screen transistion.

play LttP, you'll get what it means.

edit:
*b*eat me to it.

nice avatar btw. ;)

Takuya
06-01-2006, 08:03 PM
I gotcha, I've played LTTP. So, you mean basically, like a bigger amount of screens before the screen transition occurs, so instead of 1 screen being the length of the time before a scroll transition occurs it would be like 3 screens?

(That could probably be a quest rule.. )

Gerudo
06-01-2006, 08:22 PM
basically...

sort of repeating you:
i think it could be like, instead of 1 screen, make it like 3 by 3 (like a tic tac toe grid). thats what it seems like for the Z3 screens.

WindStrike
06-01-2006, 08:36 PM
How 'bout choosin' da size? We could just choose what borders between screens that we want to eliminate and take 'em out.
Ya know, this little thread 'ere is becomin' more of a suggestin' thread than a beta 11 progress thread. Just pointin' it out...

{DSG}DarkRaven
06-02-2006, 06:19 AM
Choosing the size would probably be problematic, because setting the variable too high might strain the capabilities of the engine. 3x3 is actually pretty large, and you know very well that people are going to want to set it to something like 6x6 or 10x10, and there's a steep growth curve every time you go up to the next square number. Sure, 3x3 is only nine map squares at once, but if you go up to 5x5, which seems like not all that much, it becomes 25. I'll assume you can do the multiplication from there.

3x3 is good, but full removal is probably bad, though I'm just guessing here. The Dev's can tell me to shut up, if I'm wrong.

Gerudo
06-02-2006, 11:56 AM
well, that's when you hard code it in to not go above a specified limit, in this case 3x3 or 2x2.

i never imagined the original zelda engine with anything like what i've seen so far. amazing.

KJAZZ
06-05-2006, 04:46 PM
If Z3 Style Scrolling was implemented, I was always under the impression we could choose any amount, such as 1x2, 2x1, 2x2, etc.. Because while 3x3 would be nice for a big field, or a desert or something, somebody could want a 1x5 for a shoreline, or something along those lines..

Hmm. Maybe, you could select how the screens were linked together, similar to the way you choose which squares show up when you get the map in dungeons? That way, you could make some crazy shape.. Or you could always just force them to make it a rectangle of sorts.

Warlock
06-05-2006, 05:58 PM
If Z3 Style Scrolling was implemented, I was always under the impression we could choose any amount, such as 1x2, 2x1, 2x2, etc.. Because while 3x3 would be nice for a big field, or a desert or something, somebody could want a 1x5 for a shoreline, or something along those lines..

Hmm. Maybe, you could select how the screens were linked together, similar to the way you choose which squares show up when you get the map in dungeons? That way, you could make some crazy shape.. Or you could always just force them to make it a rectangle of sorts.

I think it'd be nice to "draw" it.. maybe via a box that comes up with a minimap-type display (but maybe with a shrunken down version of the actual map so you can see what screen is what?) and lets you fill in different scrolling areas with "colors" that would represent different scrolling areas.

bigjoe
06-05-2006, 06:04 PM
First Z3 style walking, then Z3 style subscreen, and now this? Why not just clone Z3 and save the trouble of integrating it into Zelda Classic?

Don't get me wrong, I support the idea if it doesn't interfere with the classic play style.

BTW, nice to see you posting in the ZC forums again Warlock! :D Does it mean you're going to start designing quests again, or are you just taking a peek at whats new?

Rakki
06-06-2006, 02:29 AM
If programmed correctly, I imagine Z3 style screens could be quite large, actually. I mean, look at Super Metroid. It used tons of large rooms with enemies, animated backgrounds, screen effects (both of which would be layers, in ZQ), and yet, the game hardly ever slowed down. Surely, almost all computers that ZQ can run on are more powerful than an SNES. So again, if programmed correctly, I don't see what the problem with a 5x5 screen would be. Then again, this is running off of a Zelda engine, so, it might not be so easy to code it properly.

idontknow
06-06-2006, 10:04 AM
Also, why limit the attached screens to large square rooms? Maybe we could take out any room borders & leave others so for example:

We could have a room like this:

[ ][ ]
[ ]
[ ]

In other words:
____
|..__|
| |
|_| (An upside L-shaped room)

Gerudo
06-06-2006, 12:49 PM
Why not just clone Z3 and save the trouble of integrating it into Zelda Classic?I don't see what the deal is. Sure alot of us like the original, but LttP was (afaik) rated extremely high on one of those 'top games of all time' lists. You know as well as I do that ZC has progressed from just a Legend of Zelda clone into something far greater, and incorporating elements from another classic game that used the same basic elements with a ton of awesomeness thrown in, doesn't seem all that wrong to me.

Z3 style quests? Yes plz.

Warlock
06-06-2006, 02:08 PM
BTW, nice to see you posting in the ZC forums again Warlock! :D Does it mean you're going to start designing quests again, or are you just taking a peek at whats new?

I'd like to, but I think I will wait a bit until there is a more stable release.

For now tho I am gonna hang out and mess around with the betas I think :) I have to relearn everything because I have completely forgotten it by now :D

Rakki
06-07-2006, 02:39 AM
Hey, you know we're here to remind you of things if you need it, Warlock. :p

Also, at idontknow's suggestion, I wasn't ruling that type of scrolling out, myself, I simply didn't mention it in my post. The way this could be accomplished would probably be through a dialog window which connects two screens together into one. Obviously, you'd connect the current screen to the adajacent one above, below or next to it, and it'd be able to scroll on that axis only while both screens are in view (so if you had a screen which was like this:

[ ]
[ ][ ]it wouldn't be able to show the top-right screen).

Nicholas Steel
06-07-2006, 04:12 AM
so it scrolls across and up and down... scrolls across in the bottom 2 and up and down in the bottom left.

were only removing borders... it does not have to keep link centered.

easy to do.

Cloral
06-07-2006, 12:36 PM
Easy, huh? So then do tell, what exactly would be the issues involved with implementing this?

I think it would be best to keep it to rectangular-shaped rooms. With arbitrary shapes, you start to run into issues around the corners. What if the player takes a corner very closely? Say for example, you have the room from the previous post, and Link is moving from the lower right room to the upper room. You don't want the screen to show any of what isn't part of the current room, so you would have to force the screen to scroll way to the side before the user could continue moving upwards. This could be very disconcerting. With rectangular rooms, you would never run into this issue.

Dark Nation
06-07-2006, 12:38 PM
Well, if something like this does happen, I'm 99% sure it will use rectangular rooms.

ShadowTiger
06-07-2006, 12:56 PM
If you're using Circular rooms, your best bet is to just use Diagonal walls to simulate something like that. You can mix and match diagonals and straight lines in a dungeon room corner just as you would while drawing a "perfect" circle in a 16x16 tile.

BTW, I love the new Bugtesting thread icons. :blah: They're so cute. XD