PDA

View Full Version : Stupidest thing/most regrettable thing you've done in a video game

Mitsukara
05-28-2006, 09:48 PM
Have you ever done something that took a lot of time/effort in a game, only to discover it was totally uneccesary? Or screwed up a game in a horrific way by accident? If so, what's the worst case you can think of?

I was playing Zelda II: The Adventure of Link, and I got to the Town of Kasuto, right? And there's the invisible enemies, and the old guy who tells you "THE TOWN IS DEAD. GO EAST AND LOOK IN THE WOODS" or something to that effect. So I do; I walk over each square of the woods, and the more suspicious woods through the cave. I find nothing, so trying everything I can think of, I come to dungeon #6, the "Hidden Palace," first.

So I went through it. Most of it. Using the fairy spell. The fairy spell! Over and over and over, because there are like no keys in this place and locked doors everywhere. At level 7 it still takes like half of my magic to cast fairy. And I can't refill, so I keep having to die intentionally to refill my magic. I think to myself, this is horrible stage design! Did they simply forget to put any keys in this place? Have I screwed up somehow? But I couldn't figure out how. I actually got through most of the area.

...so I write down instructions on how to get back there for myself, and give up for a while because I'm about ready to melt the disc (this is the gamecube collection disc) and laugh sadistically at the driping, fuming plastic, even though LoZ and OoT would be innocent casualties (Majora's Mask isn't innocent in any way, shape, or form though- but that's anothe story). And so I decide to check gamefaqs later to see if I did anything wrong.

Hidden town of Kasuto... another magic container, a spell, and a magic key that unlocks infinite doors there. In the woods. Apparently you chop down trees with your hammer?! WTF, your hammer? Where was this hinted? But alas. Two hours of aggitated, horrible playing experience that could've been avoided.

As a runner-up, I pemanently lost Shadow in my first attempt to play through FFVI because I didn't realize I was supposed to wait around on the floating island and that it would mysteriously affect such an outcome. Awesome.

So, what kind of experiences have you had? :)

phattonez
05-28-2006, 09:58 PM
I tried to play Zelda II. That was my worst mistake in video game history.

Aegix Drakan
05-28-2006, 10:14 PM

QFT. the game wasn't SOOO bad, but IT F'ED UP MY COMPUTER! now it randomly crashes on me. white screen of death and all. (heck sometimes I get the WHITE WITH GREEN STRIPES screen of death!)

another big mistake?

I completed Sonic advance 3 at 100% (got all chao, chaos emeralds, gold medals) after a HUGE amount of effort. then, I thought "maybe it would be fun if I could do it all again!" and so, now I am struggling to re-find all of the stupid hidden chao and beat all of the insane special stages... >_<

gdorf
05-29-2006, 12:30 AM
QFT. the game wasn't SOOO bad, but IT F'ED UP MY COMPUTER! now it randomly crashes on me. white screen of death and all. (heck sometimes I get the WHITE WITH GREEN STRIPES screen of death!)

It sounds like you were using a rom/emulator, which might explain the behavior. IMO Zelda II is one of the best zelda games, but it needs to be played on the original console. :shrug:

One beef I had was when I missed one of the Materia in FFVII and I could never go back and find it. I think it was bahumut zero? I eventually built up my characters and beat the ruby weapon, but it took much longer than it should have and I was bitter the whole time.

Warlock
05-29-2006, 04:38 PM
Apparently you chop down trees with your hammer?! WTF, your hammer? Where was this hinted?

In the manual believe it or not :) Though I'm not sure if the CE came with a manual for Z2 or not.

Cronic
05-29-2006, 04:53 PM
my worst mistake is really a constant one, that applies to 90% of all video games ...the dumbest things I've ever done is bought them ...I have 10 360 games 30 xbox 10 ps2 and 11 cube games, and I've only ever wanted to play about 7 of them total.

MottZilla
05-29-2006, 05:04 PM
Here's a thought then, sell the ones you don't want/don't play. ;p

Cronic
05-29-2006, 05:25 PM
Here's a thought then, sell the ones you don't want/don't play. ;p

Thought about it but even brand new never played the resale on games is insulting ...so worse comes to worse friends borrow em.

biggiy05
05-29-2006, 05:30 PM
Thought about it but even brand new never played the resale on games is insulting ...so worse comes to worse friends borrow em.

Just like a car. You take it off the lot you just flipped your self in the loan and lost $5,000 on it.

It's expensive to buy a new car so you drive the one you buy until it dies and there is no hope for it and then you don't get anything out of it.

{DSG}DarkRaven
05-30-2006, 04:35 AM
Once, I succumbed to the temptation and played Final Fantasy VII. Worse, I did so for three hours before I realize that A) the memory card was full and B) you can't delete save files from within the game.

Nicholas Steel
05-30-2006, 07:09 AM
initial post here is exactly what happened to me in zelda II and i never solved it for like 2 or 3 years due to i had to take the game back to the video store... and shortly after they stopped lending NES games.... eventualy i came upon emulators and have since beaten it after a visit to gamefaqs aswell... second most satisfying thing i've done in a game.

most satisfying thing would be finding dungeon 8 in the first quest for "the legend of zelda" NES.

Samson007
05-30-2006, 03:03 PM
Dumbest thing I ever did in a video game..................sold my chocobo materia by mistake in FF7. Yeah, that made things rather difficult.

Rambly
06-01-2006, 12:56 AM

Zelda II is easy. I just beat it tonight and it's not that hard if you have patience and look stuff up every once in a while. Although had I not had a few friends give me some tips, I'd be saying the same thing :(

I've done a lot of stupid things in video games, but none of them have really stood out to me.

Oh, here's something I guess that stands out as stupid: I remember once I was playing Sonic Advance (I was a lot younger at the time) and I switched the language to Japanese for some reason. Anyway, since I didn't know anything about Japanese at the time, I struggled trying to find out how to change it back, but I ended up accidentally clearing my save data in the process.

Oops. :(

Sonic Advance isn't really all that hard, so I wasn't all that frustrated, but it still stands out as pretty stupid!

Mitsukara
06-01-2006, 01:20 AM
Incidentally, checking the manual of the GC Zelda "collector's disc," it indeed says nothing about the hammer. I ought to sue...

Really, I find especially with older games that had faulty translations/minimal explanations, if you get stuck/lost/confused and don't want to keep trying to figure it out, look up a walkthrough. You will thank yourself. Castlevania II and Zelda II are perfect games to do this with.

Something that wasn't truly stupid, but I regretted doing, was trying to see what the Donkey Kong Country 3 player's guide meant about it being "possible to get more than 103%." Years later I find out that, using the lrlrlr ripoff Kon- um, whatever-it-was-code, you enter "TUFST" as your save file name and it does some stupid thing like removing all the DK barrels, and if you complete everything it gives you a 105% score. Woopdee freakin' doo. Back then I was hoping for some kind of hidden level :( Heck, the "MERRY" and "COLOR" versions of that code were more interesting, at least they did something tangible/enjoyable. Actually, the MERRY code was pretty funny...

Revfan9
06-01-2006, 01:24 AM
I once played Final Fantasy for the NES.

Verman
06-02-2006, 10:17 AM
Final Fanatasy for NES was the single best game for a console :D i loved it!

algam86
06-03-2006, 02:38 PM
Mine? Probably playing Final Fantasy III on the NES (via translated ROM). Being more specific, saving it right before a tough Garuda fight with no way to train my people. I won...after, like, 40 tries.

Ah, mind-numbing, hair-destroying, ungodly hard goodness... :p

solyphon
09-10-2006, 12:16 PM
mine would be going through all the trouble of getting all characters, and 4 of the secret levels in ssbm, then continually ressting it to get a lousy, non-working cheat to work, then trying to play, and reilizing that it was corrupted... man, i could swear that i screamed.

SSJ3500
09-10-2006, 04:30 PM
...stab a chicken in the ass with a sword in OoT. Those chickens can really do some damage... Damn coo coo's.

Also, this isn't something stupid I've done, but it was something stupid the AI in the game did. Metal Gear Solid, practicing pull ups to boost up my grip a guard walked pretty much right into my foot, the alarm of course goes off. So I pull myself up and whip out my trusty M9. Four guards turn the corner, stare at me for a second, and then get shot in the face and knocked out. They slowly wake up one by one just to get shot in the face again. I kept that up for a good 10 minutes or so. Then shuffled away in a box.