PDA

View Full Version : What I've been up to

Eckels
05-28-2006, 04:40 PM
I haven't been around much in a while, so while I have time to stop by, I thought I'd share one of the things that's been taking up so much of my time. As well as having a One year old son, I have two full time jobs. I work 50hrs a week at a Lumberyard, and in my spare time (spare time? what's that?) I've started a re-screening business of my own.

The rest of this post has been adapted from chat:

Now, keep in mind the truck is a little messy. because just an hour ago i was installing a few new electrical pieces; a new light and a new switch for my power inverter.
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=10467969&uid=3636122&members=1

When i bought this truck it was owned by a fuel oil company that used it for transporting oil cans and tools. it was a wreck. I gutted it, cleaned it and built everything you see.

The long drawers are for holding screen frame, 8' long pieces. they lock into place with slide bolts. above those are three drawers for tools and such, then the counter, which has an extension that extends it to 38 inches wide, so I can rescreen windows and doors up to 3' wide inside the truck. Above that is a cabinet for catalogs and stuff with sliding plexiglass doors. Above that is where I keep my wood mouldings which are locked into places by two sliding wood dowels. I have a miter saw station which can be plugged into the blue inverter.

On the other side of the truck is the ladder, all my screen and racks for the screen spline, and eight locking compartmentalized drawers for all my parts.

It took me months to build all of it. I finished it about two months ago, had the signs put on, and I've been doing jobs since then. I've probably put close to 10k into getting this business started, but it'll all pay off, I'm getting lots of calls, and I haven't even begun to advertise yet.

Oh and I designed the sign too. Just yesterday I was at someone's house, installing a screen door. My truck was parked on the street. One of the neighbors saw the truck, came over and asked me to visit his house when I was done, he had some screens he needed repaired too. So I caught an extra 90$ job just by having a good sign, so it seems to be working well.

Anyways, thats what I've been up to.

Breaker
05-28-2006, 04:42 PM
It looks awesome.

Glitch
05-28-2006, 04:44 PM
schweet.

SomaLlama
05-28-2006, 04:49 PM
neat truck

Cronic
05-28-2006, 04:52 PM
heh restoring vehicles rocks, but I gotta make one suggestion ...mounted turret for protection of family and homeland ...It may sound crazy but I think you should install one.

I never knew much about you on a personal level, but respected your work, and for what it's worth dude that just tripled ...anyone who busts ass 50 hours a week at a lumber yard, loves his family, and takes care of buisness deserves the best... hats off old bean

ShadowTiger
05-28-2006, 04:54 PM
It took me months to build all of it. I finished it about two months ago, had the signs put on, and I've been doing jobs since then. I've probably put close to 10k into getting this business started, but it'll all pay off, I'm getting lots of calls, and I haven't even begun to advertise yet.Friggin sweet. Word of mouth or something? For lack of advertising, that's a very strong start. Best of luck, Eckels. :) Oh, and tell the li'l guy that AGN says hello. ;)

Eckels
05-28-2006, 05:01 PM
heh restoring vehicles rocks, but I gotta make one suggestion ...mounted turret for protection of family and homeland ...It may sound crazy but I think you should install one.

Funny you should say that...

[16:23] <breaker> when the world ends, we can drive around it
[16:23] <breaker> and kill zombies
[16:23] <breaker> it looks fortified.
[16:24] <Eckels> heh
[16:24] <Eckels> it's not really
[16:24] <Eckels> it's pretty light weight
[16:24] <Eckels> well
[16:24] <Soma> :O
[16:24] <Eckels> it's all aluminum
[16:24] <Eckels> it's not light weight
[16:24] <Soma> gunna need to add some armor plateing then :(
[16:24] <Eckels> but the skin isn't exactly bulletproof
[16:24] <Soma> zombies cant use guns...
[16:25] <Eckels> yeah but the road warriors can
[16:25] <Soma> good point

;)

Cronic
05-28-2006, 05:04 PM
:D It's a sign bro ...Do it before it's too late!

ctrl-alt-delete
05-28-2006, 06:44 PM
Fucking nice. Glad you stopped by to let us know what was going on.

Please continue to swing by every once in awhile and keep us updated on the young one.

Drunken Tiger
05-28-2006, 10:23 PM
Nice looking truck, looks like alotta work. All youre missing is a computer and internet connection.

Say hi to the kid for us.:)