PDA

View Full Version : General Bitching

War Lord
05-28-2006, 03:46 AM
I have been contemplating disabling this forum for a month or two now and have finally decided to axe it.

It has a purpose, however when beefs from within GB spill to other forums that's when I have a problem and look beyond any use it may serve.

I feel that this is best for the community as a whole.

You have a problem with someone? Take it to a PM.

goKi
05-28-2006, 03:49 AM
We will also be cracking down on flaming in other forums, as i believe there has been a certain amount of lenience in recent times.

Cronic
05-28-2006, 04:07 AM
I'll miss the fires, but all in all public resentment breeds further hostilities so as fun as it is ...for the best

firebug
05-28-2006, 05:52 AM
I honestly think this is a bad idea, and will only result in more work for the moderators. People are going to bitch and flame anyways, and not having a place here to do this (or being chastised for doing so) will only breed resentment. Oh well.

Freedom
05-28-2006, 06:11 AM
You'd only need one rule.
Don't say anything to anyone that you wouldn't say to them if you were looking them straight in the eye.

Lilith
05-28-2006, 07:06 AM
Lol everytime GB gets a lot of forum-bitching-traffic it gets shut down until things end up back to normal, aka everyone bitching about gas prices and their boss :( sigh

rocksfan13
05-28-2006, 09:01 AM
Why not? The only thing I have to say about losing GB is if it weren't for GB and what it caused, would AGN be going through it's changes that are taking place right now?
Yeah, it was full of negativity but it did spawn a much needed overhaul. If people would just learn to use it right, there would really be no reason for axing it. It was a good place to let off some steam.

ShadowTiger
05-28-2006, 10:41 AM
I agree. I enjoyed how there would be some topics that everyone would agree on enough so that nobody would flame each other, but would stick to the topic. There's nothing that makes someone happier than seeing that someone hates something that someone else hates too. :p Of course, the opposite is apparent where someone gets flamed for doing little at all. That's the part I didn't like. If these two parts could somehow be combined, it'd make for a very interesting forum where nobody would fear getting flamed themselves unless they agreed upon it when posting in the thread. (Flame someone, and you'd agree to be flamed in return, but if you don't flame someone, anyone who flames you gets warned, etc.) I've developed this idea out somewhere else. If anyone is interested, PM me, and I'll get you a copy of the thread.

SomaLlama
05-28-2006, 12:29 PM
now, thats no fun.

Dechipher
05-28-2006, 01:04 PM
GB didn't relieve us from flaming in other forums. People still did it there. They just did it more in GB. AGN has this notion that because you CAN flame in a particular place, you have to. Which isn't true.

Gerudo
05-28-2006, 01:26 PM
here's another question:
can we still expect to see silent bans?

on-topic;
this wont solve anything. the mods needed to crack down a while ago, but since quite a few were inactive, it didn't happen.

good call. -_-

biggiy05
05-28-2006, 01:42 PM
here's another question:
can we still expect to see silent bans?

on-topic;
this wont solve anything. the mods needed to crack down a while ago, but since quite a few were inactive, it didn't happen.

good call. -_-

I don't see why the mods won't be cracking down now. The new mods will do their job as will the older mods.

Gerudo
05-28-2006, 02:00 PM
that's not the point. i'm sure the new mods will do an excellent job.

if flaming was such a problem in the other forums, why wasn't it corrected before the problem(s) got out of hand, as it's said?

Archibaldo
05-28-2006, 05:34 PM
This is because of my waffle thread isn't it? Just kidding. It''s a shame that GB is going away. I always looked forward to seeing who or what people wanted to bitch about.

But I do think that eventually some flaming will start to leak into GD, GGD and ASWGL. I guess the mods will just have to pay even closer attention.

R.I.P. General Bitching

DarkDragon
05-28-2006, 06:19 PM
Thrice before has GB been killed, and thrice before it has been resurrected. Give it time, it'll return.

Zeo
05-28-2006, 06:44 PM
This place is always better without it though, after about a month or 2.

Jigglysaint
05-28-2006, 06:52 PM
I think temporarily getting rid of GB is a good idea. Recently the feel of AGN has shifted quite a bit, but I think it has more to do with the fresh faces than the staff change.

Master Ghaleon
05-28-2006, 06:57 PM
GB was a good place to look at when you wanted a laugh or drama. It was rare of me to post in it though I will miss it

gdorf
05-29-2006, 12:34 AM
GB was a good place to look at when you wanted a laugh or drama. It was rare of me to post in it though I will miss it

That sums up my views exactly. It'll come back when the forums are ready. :shrug:

Lilith
05-29-2006, 02:00 AM
What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger

come back soon plz

{DSG}DarkRaven
05-29-2006, 03:36 AM
I'm glad to see it gone. GB has been a trap for many an unwise-newbie It's true, as some people have said, that when the right topic was brought up, GB threads were something that brought people together. Most of the time, however, people just used it as a place to flame each other, which inevitably spilled over onto other areas and got people banned or simply turned people away from the community.

Toolie
05-29-2006, 12:47 PM
Well, in that case, I think it's about time I worked on getting myself served a freshly baked bancake. Guys, it's been a while, anyway. You know I love it.

phattonez
05-29-2006, 02:00 PM
Thrice before has GB been killed, and thrice before it has been resurrected. Give it time, it'll return.

How long ago did that happen? In three years I don't think I've ever seen it go away.

SomaLlama
05-29-2006, 02:01 PM
omg... this is like, the perfect oprotunity to make granite's idea for general bitching.. what was it again? "general fun"?

ShadowTiger
05-29-2006, 02:30 PM
... ... You know what, screw it. I'm just going to copy and paste this already. This is the Rules thread from a proof-of-concept from somewhere else.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ladies and Gentlemen,
Welcome to the Coliseum!

Flaming is acceptable within this forum under certain conditions. These conditions rely on the type of topic the person wishes to create. Read these very carefully.

There are three types of topics here in The Coliseum. You must label which sort of topic it is either in the thread title or in your introductory post. Any unlabelled threads will be removed from the forum after the first reminder to label it properly.

[TOPIC] - General: A general type of topic. You may flame a subject, but you may not flame anything that has to do with people themselves. You may flame an inanimate object which may not retaliate. Topics include flaming a company, complaining about a bad day or unjust situation, and other things which others may sympathize with. You may speak the truth, but keep in mind that the person creating the thread is looking for sympathy rather than an antagonized situation.
NO FLAMING OTHER MEMBERS OR THEIR BELIEFS!
You may argue or debate about them, but any flaming without a valid reason will be discarded and the member warned.

[DUAL] - Duel: A fight between two or more members. Anything goes, but it must be maintained between those members and nobody else. If anyone flames anyone who is not in the dual, or if anyone engaged in the duel flames a spectator, they will be warned, and on the next occurrance have their rights to the forum revoked. Understood? Keep it to the selected members.

[FFA] - Free For All: No restrictions. Flame anyone, anything, anywhere. You generally won't be warned here, except for lying. Try to keep it to the truth, whatever you're arguing about.

Anyone found breaking the rules of any of these conditions will simply be tossed out of the forum and disallowed from returning. Once again, posting in this forum is a right, not a priviledge.

An exact copy/paste from its functional location somewhere else. The idea is going over pretty well over there, though the audience isn't as old as AGN's. I know everyone likes drama, (Apparently. O_o' ) so that's what the third type would be for. The other forms of topics would act to "unite" people in a common interest; such as when people were flaming the RIAA, or ... somehow, ... when Archibaldo took over Granite's thread and transformed it into a topic about waffles. :p

If flaming was the issue before, but people still want somewhere to let out steam, this might work a little bit better than GB, because it's more "structured." That doesn't mean it'll work though. The Coliseum experiment isn't all that old yet either, (A month, maybe.) So I'm still waiting for potential problems to show up.

phattonez
05-29-2006, 02:38 PM
It makes sense, but I would like to leave an option open to flame someone for being blatently and purposely stupid.

Toolie
05-29-2006, 02:53 PM
You've got rules dictating the structure of internet drama between acne-philliacs. Christ, what is this, a cyber-Laguna Beach?

ShadowTiger
05-29-2006, 03:13 PM
I expect a lot of FFA's to be formed at AGN under such a guideline system, though it leaves the option open to people who just want to have their bitchings heard about something that doesn't involve another member. The Rude Drivers, topic, for example.

Cronic
05-29-2006, 03:16 PM
I expect a lot of FFA's to be formed at AGN under such a guideline system, though it leaves the option open to people who just want to have their bitchings heard about something that doesn't involve another member. The Rude Drivers, topic, for example.

General ranting ...Got a bone to pick with the world?
Note: all other forum rules apply!

; shrugg :

It'd be nice not to clog GD with topics of an irrate nature, but general is pretty all inclusive so it'll work there too ...either way the forums pressence makes truly no difference one way or another.

ShadowTiger
05-29-2006, 03:19 PM
Eh. General Ranting, General Bitching, same thing. The thing is, the oldbies want to rule GB and say anything goes just so they can watch other people squirm, while other people want places to rant about subjects without getting flamed themselves, since they're not flaming people, but a subject that others can agree upon.

If you think that can go in GD though, and can flame that subject freely in GD as well, that'd pretty much solve that dilemma.

Cronic
05-29-2006, 03:27 PM
Eh. General Ranting, General Bitching, same thing. The thing is, the oldbies want to rule GB and say anything goes just so they can watch other people squirm, while other people want places to rant about subjects without getting flamed themselves, since they're not flaming people, but a subject that others can agree upon.

If you think that can go in GD though, and can flame that subject freely in GD as well, that'd pretty much solve that dilemma.

subjects aren't members so I can only assume I can flame my piece of shit friends situations etc, and call them as many names as I wish ...the only thing you really have to consider is respecting fellow members by either not name calling or even on a broader scale putting some thoughts into the subjects you rage against...

Jigglysaint
05-29-2006, 09:57 PM
... ... You know what, screw it. I'm just going to copy and paste this already. This is the Rules thread from a proof-of-concept from somewhere else.

Ladies and Gentlemen,
Welcome to the Coliseum!

Flaming is acceptable within this forum under certain conditions. These conditions rely on the type of topic the person wishes to create. Read these very carefully.

There are three types of topics here in The Coliseum. You must label which sort of topic it is either in the thread title or in your introductory post. Any unlabelled threads will be removed from the forum after the first reminder to label it properly.

[TOPIC] - General: A general type of topic. You may flame a subject, but you may not flame anything that has to do with people themselves. You may flame an inanimate object which may not retaliate. Topics include flaming a company, complaining about a bad day or unjust situation, and other things which others may sympathize with. You may speak the truth, but keep in mind that the person creating the thread is looking for sympathy rather than an antagonized situation.
NO FLAMING OTHER MEMBERS OR THEIR BELIEFS!
You may argue or debate about them, but any flaming without a valid reason will be discarded and the member warned.

[DUAL] - Duel: A fight between two or more members. Anything goes, but it must be maintained between those members and nobody else. If anyone flames anyone who is not in the dual, or if anyone engaged in the duel flames a spectator, they will be warned, and on the next occurrance have their rights to the forum revoked. Understood? Keep it to the selected members.

[FFA] - Free For All: No restrictions. Flame anyone, anything, anywhere. You generally won't be warned here, except for lying. Try to keep it to the truth, whatever you're arguing about.

Anyone found breaking the rules of any of these conditions will simply be tossed out of the forum and disallowed from returning. Once again, posting in this forum is a right, not a priviledge.

An exact copy/paste from its functional location somewhere else. The idea is going over pretty well over there, though the audience isn't as old as AGN's. I know everyone likes drama, (Apparently. O_o' ) so that's what the third type would be for. The other forms of topics would act to "unite" people in a common interest; such as when people were flaming the RIAA, or ... somehow, ... when Archibaldo took over Granite's thread and transformed it into a topic about waffles. :p

If flaming was the issue before, but people still want somewhere to let out steam, this might work a little bit better than GB, because it's more "structured." That doesn't mean it'll work though. The Coliseum experiment isn't all that old yet either, (A month, maybe.) So I'm still waiting for potential problems to show up.

Oh! I got a great name for such a concept. We could name it the Knight's Templar Coliseum and we can all join this queer ass club where we can look down upon other people and dedicate ourselves to such noble causes as picking fights with staff and learn how to take over AGN.

Oh wait, that concept was allready taken. My bad.

punkonjunk1024
05-29-2006, 11:18 PM
aw... Well, my thoughts, I think it should be around - GB is a great way to get rid of noobs. And... No place to flame means it has to spill out somewhere.

Eh. I guess I'll miss it alot. It makes it feel like that "freedom of speech" thing is kinda lost and DEAR GOD DON'T SHOOT ME I KNOW ITS NOT A DEMOCRACY.
It just gave us alot of freedom, and was kinda AGN's... Thing.

For me, anyhow. But you know, I like to bitch. *Beelines to GD to bitch cleanly*

Gerudo
05-29-2006, 11:25 PM
hey guys, thanks SO MUCH for answering my question from my second post in this thread! i really appreciate it!

i look for alot of people to be banned for shitty definitions of flaming. it's all been done before. a staff member doesnt like a person, person slips up ever so slightly, and BAM! gone.

s/he doesnt get even get it announced. i love silent bans. :D

moocow
05-29-2006, 11:31 PM
aw... Well, my thoughts, I think it should be around - GB is a great way to get rid of noobs. And... No place to flame means it has to spill out somewhere.

Like War Lord said, you'd have to take it to PM. If it spills out into other forums, the member(s) would be warned, and then eventually banned if it kept up. GB wasn't anything fun anymore, it was just turning to pure shit. I mean, I couldn't even go in there and bitch about my job without being called a whore and having my personal life drug into the whole thing. Fair? No. But I dealt with it and let it blow over my shoulders because I've heard worse from people who used to matter more.

If you have a rant, I don't see why you couldn't post it in GD, as long as it stays within the guidelines of the forum...

goKi
05-30-2006, 01:25 AM
hey guys, thanks SO MUCH for answering my question from my second post in this thread! i really appreciate it!

i look for alot of people to be banned for shitty definitions of flaming. it's all been done before. a staff member doesnt like a person, person slips up ever so slightly, and BAM! gone.

s/he doesnt get even get it announced. i love silent bans. :D

I'll be making sure there are no more silent bans.

phattonez
05-30-2006, 01:29 AM
omg... this is like, the perfect oprotunity to make granite's idea for general bitching.. what was it again? "general fun"?
What exactly is "general fun"?

SomaLlama
05-30-2006, 01:34 AM
i dont exactly remember but im pretty sure, it was probably, completely retarded.

{DSG}DarkRaven
05-30-2006, 03:31 AM

Oh, boy, what isn't it? :tongue:

Actually, it was pretty much the Utopian Internet Theory, which is to say, it was well meaning but impossible and widely considered to be utter crap. I give him props for trying, but people being nice to each other on the internet? I'm not sure I want to live in that kind of world.

Moocow makes a good point. GB was so hostile by nature that it's point was completely defeated by... itself. Wrap your head around that, if you can. It should be obvious to even the person with the least common logical sense that if you create an area where rules no longer apply, it's going to cause problems in the non-chaotic areas. Cutting GB out of the forums was a bold move, to be sure, but it'll work out in the long run, once people stop missing it.

Oh, and if you can't live on AGN without insulting someone, maybe you should try a little something called veiled sarcasm. If you know how to use your words, you can easily burn someone without breaking rules or dropping F-bombs. Honestly, some of you folks have no imaginations.

mikeron
05-30-2006, 12:18 PM
Is anyone else expecting an all-Australian staff in the near future? Being on the other side of the planet, they'll work their evil while most of us are sleeping. Then everyone's screen name will magically be changed to either Bruce or Sheila. :(

ctrl-alt-delete
05-30-2006, 12:42 PM
Just call him Captain Kangaroo, like me!

Silly Australians...

I will miss GB, but I think it will be back just like all of the other times. Rules like spam were still followed there, so it was not completely chaotic.

Come back soon, GB.

Until then, most of you can expect some highly pissed off private messages. :-p

Drunken Tiger
05-30-2006, 10:01 PM
Is anyone else expecting an all-Australian staff in the near future? Being on the other side of the planet, they'll work their evil while most of us are sleeping. Then everyone's screen name will magically be changed to either Bruce or Sheila. :(

LoL, goki should change the AGN banner when you guys are asleep. :)

Jigglysaint
05-30-2006, 10:03 PM
Aussie Geekness Nutbars

SUCCESSOR
05-31-2006, 03:10 AM
LMAO and so it falls again but fear not! GB is not forever lost! History shows us that she is eternal and only sleeps.

What a bunch of bullshit! Instead of expecting our fellow members to keep maturity and sense about themselves we'll just play the neglect game. You know damn well only whiny bitches PM fight. There's no cheap thrill!

Mods will clean up the same shit eitherway. Are we going into the fascist A Clockwork Orange mentality modding again? This place seems to show itself redundant time and time again(heh)

Just think about this for a second. What is GB? A place for members with real problems can duke it out and end up frenching like all asian school girls should? Fuck, no! GB is a place where Mature adults with beef can bitch-fight so the shit can be held aside in discussion forums and where newbies can front and play cool.

But then again I don't care. I'm hardly around enough to want to bitch anyone out.

punkonjunk1024
05-31-2006, 10:20 AM
I'll be making sure there are no more silent bans.
*hugs*
That rules so much ass.

I think thats basically the biggest problem - you had to earn enough respect before GB posts weren't an almost sureset ban.

Mods will clean up the same shit eitherway. Are we going into the fascist A Clockwork Orange mentality modding again? This place seems to show itself redundant time and time again(heh)

I kinda thought the same thing - It'll just spill out elsewhere. *shrug* I know if I have a big problem and no GB, I'll try to clean it up... but look at Zeo's GoodBye thread. (Good bye? General bitching? GB? COINCEDENCE???? OR CONSPIRACY?????/////1111!!!111) It's a big anti-breaker rant.

:shrug:

biggiy05
05-31-2006, 01:51 PM
I kinda thought the same thing - It'll just spill out elsewhere. *shrug* I know if I have a big problem and no GB, I'll try to clean it up... but look at Zeo's GoodBye thread. (Good bye? General bitching? GB? COINCEDENCE???? OR CONSPIRACY?????/////1111!!!111) It's a big anti-breaker rant.

:shrug:

It won't spill out into other sections of the forums or there will be warnings given out. GB is gone so you either keep it to your self or you take it a PM. Don't like either option? Too bad then. The mods are going to be keeping a close eye on things like that from now on and I know Goki doesn't want any flaming in part of the forum.

That wasn't meant to be directed just at you poj but anyone and everyone.