PDA

View Full Version : how to edit tiles?

migokalle
05-25-2006, 12:09 PM
how do i edit the tilesets and tiles? like drawing a bigger head on link?
please help me fast!:(

ShadowTiger
05-25-2006, 12:15 PM
Well, you can go into Quest-->Graphics-->Tiles, and make a backup of things you want to edit (In case you make a mistake.) By highlighting all the tiles, pressing "c" then going down to a nice big, blank location in the tiles page and pressing "v" to paste them there.

Go back to the Link tiles on tiles page 0, highlight the tile you want to edit, and click Edit. (Or Press "E" I think. Both should work.) You can manually draw whatever you want to onto Link from there.

Of course, if you want pre-made Link tiles, you can check out the Tiles Database over at www.purezc.com .. They've got quite a few of them. You'll probably need to rip in a Cset 6 for the Link tiles though, but we'll see when we get there I guess. < <. :shrug:

migokalle
05-25-2006, 12:34 PM
thank you very much!:)
i must say, the people in this forum are very helpfull!
but one more thing: if i draw a link with a color when i started my game that color changed into gray or transparent

ShadowTiger
05-25-2006, 12:44 PM
thank you very much!
i must say, the people in this forum are very helpfull!
thanks.. .. ^_____^ XD Thanks. ;) You as well. A pleasure.

Ah. You must be drawing it in Cset 2, 3, 4, or 9.

The color system for ZQuest/ZC is a little bit complex at first, though you'll certainly get the hang of it later. Here's a basic synopsis of how color works.

Ignore how complex I made the following paragraph sound. It's a lot simpler than it sounds in practice:

The graphics in ZC are made up of individual 16x16 pixel entitles called "Tiles." Each pixel can hold one color in it. Each color isn't its own self, a color, .. but is in fact a color that's held within a "box." Each pixel of the tile doesn't hold a color, but one of the boxes. The colors you can choose from to place within these boxes/pixels in the tile are determined by what's in the Palette.

Intermission:

So you've got tiles, which hold a grid of 16x16 pixels. Each pixel can hold one color slot. The color that's in the slots/boxes (Whatever I called it. :p ) is determined by the palette. Thus, the two are seperate. When the Palette changes, the tile's appearance will change as well.

So,let's take a look at the palettes. Go to Quest-->Graphics-->Palettes-->Main (The main palette for your quest.) You'll see labels along the left side. I'll go right ahead and say that Csets (Color-Set.) 2, 3, 4, and 9 are level-dependent. You know how when you change from like, .. a forest dungeon to a lava dungeon, the colors of the walls change? They're the exact same wall tiles, (Can be, rather.) but they change from a green color to a red color. That's because the Csets in the level-dependent palettes assigned to that dungeon changed. It's red instead of green, so it looks red.

So chances are, you're drawing Link in Cset 2, 3, 4, or 9. You're drawing him in what appears to be a green Cset, but when you look elsewhere, the Cset changes to something gray ... .. or something.

Build him in Cset 6. Press the keypad plus or minus keys until it says Cset 6 somewhere and Link actually looks RIGHT in the Tiles Page. :p

migokalle
05-25-2006, 12:54 PM
thank yo again:)

WindStrike
05-28-2006, 11:28 AM
Just a quick question: What does the little hookshot icon do when editing a tile? I never figured it out, other than it outlining whatever you want it to outline.

migokalle
05-28-2006, 12:13 PM
yeah i wonder about that too!

Abei
05-30-2006, 04:58 PM
Hey guys,I'm new here,and how do You highlight EVERY link graphic to copy?

*b*
05-30-2006, 06:50 PM
yes. holding Shift and selecting the range of tiles will select multiple tiles at once. pressing spacebar will also allow you to select blocks of tiles, instead of rows

the hookshot will be (is?) a selection grabber, so you can move certain areas of your tile around. I can't remember if it's implimented yet, or not, because I never notice it when editing

Abei
05-31-2006, 05:48 PM
Thanks! copying it to an unused page could also make for WEIRD tiles! :D