PDA

View Full Version : Disc Scratch fixers, are they any good?

Tygore
05-23-2006, 02:11 PM
I was thinking about getting a Disk Doctor or one of the other CD scratch repair devices out there, and was wondering: are they worth it? Has anyone here used them on a problematic disc with good results?

Masamune
05-23-2006, 02:34 PM
I've never really needed one since I usually take very good care of my CDs and DVDs. But I saw a friend of mine use one on a disc that his comp couldn't read. It was readable afterwards so I guess they work to some degree.

ShadowTiger
05-23-2006, 02:59 PM
Indeed, they do *appear* to work on a few CD's, ... not on all of them, (Depending on the severity of the scratches.) But they actually do work from time to time. I suppose it could be worth the investment. :shrug:

Definitely better to just take care of your CD's in the first place. I mean, it's not like it's hard or anything. ._o' Just don't throw them across the room. :p

biggiy05
05-23-2006, 03:00 PM
My friend has one that we used on a disc that got scratched up by accident. It worked really well. That was almost two years ago so I am sure it has gotten much better over the years. It was a manual one not an electric one.

Tygore
05-23-2006, 03:31 PM
I take care of most of my CDs, but I have a couple of games I bought used that, while in working condition, have on occasion given me problems. Nothing too bad, but it's still annoying.

MottZilla
05-23-2006, 03:42 PM
They work only if the scratch isn't deeper than a certain measurement. And they work by more or less scrapping/grind off the part of the protective layering that is scratched. So, if you have a nasty gash that causes the disc not to work but it's only 0.02mm deep, you'll probably be able to use the disc repair thing to make it readable again. However after 2, maybe 3 times tops, you won't have enough protective layering left.

It's best to take care of your discs with the best of care. Always move them directed from drive to case. And if possible copy your disc and store the original using the backup. Then if that disc is destroyed, no big deal. Depending on the disc origin, like if it's a scratched game disc, the maker may let you exchange discs for a new one. Microsoft lets you do this for their Xbox 360 titles. So if your Halo 3 (when it comes out) gets beat to shit, you can pay a small amount getting it replaced opposed to full price on a new unit.

Ofcourse personal burns or software out of production you are screwwed.

gdorf
05-23-2006, 06:48 PM
If you are skilled with fine grit sandpaper/polishing compound you can use it to remove scratches from almost any cd. Its the same principle.

And yes, they do work well as long as the scratch isn't too deep.

vegeta1215
05-23-2006, 08:43 PM
Like Mottzilla said, if you hope to get gouges out of your discs, then forget it. They may help discs with light scratches, but I couldn't tell much difference. So, in my opinion the Skip Dr (which is what I had), is a waste of money.

I would say, copy things you can't replace, and use the copies on a day to day basis, keeping the originals in a safe place. Anything that gets too messed up that can be replaced, just replace.

Brasel
05-23-2006, 09:17 PM
Toothpaste sometimes works for me. No joke. Been using toothpaste for years and it usually makes games playable again. It didn't work with my Chrono Cross though. So I need to get a new one before its impossible to find.

Lone Wolf
05-24-2006, 07:45 AM
My disk doctor has worked wonders.

Dark Nation
05-24-2006, 08:42 AM
If you do go that route, once you fix the disc, you might want to protect it with a disc protector such as d_skin.

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?cookie%5Ftest=1&product_id=801784

You may want to do this even on discs that aren't scratched yet to prevent future damage.

MottZilla
05-24-2006, 09:54 AM
Beware though, some optical drives don't like those d_skin things. I can't remember exactly which things don't like those, but I know Xbox 360 was one. Has something to do with the dskin making the disc unbalanced.

Brasel
05-24-2006, 04:37 PM
If you do go that route, once you fix the disc, you might want to protect it with a disc protector such as d_skin.

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?cookie%5Ftest=1&product_id=801784

You may want to do this even on discs that aren't scratched yet to prevent future damage.

You only get 5 for six bucks. I have so many disks that it would definately not be worth it for me to try that.