PDA

View Full Version : Super Columbine Massacre RPG

War Lord
05-23-2006, 02:03 PM
It's wrong morally, but a game had to be made eventually.
I'm playing through now.
Discuss

Download: http://rapidshare.de/files/20704452/ColumbineRPG.zip.html

Columbine video game draws relatives' ire
Posted 5/17/2006 6:53 PM ET E-mail | Save | Print | Subscribe to stories like this
DENVER (AP) — An online game based on the Columbine High School massacre is drawing criticism from relatives of those who died in the 1999 attack, including a father who says it trivializes the actions of the two teen killers.

The game, Super Columbine Massacre RPG, was posted on a website last year, but is becoming more popular now. It draws on investigative material, including images of Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris, who killed 12 classmates and a teacher before committing suicide.

Players are told it is "ultimately up to you" how many people Harris and Klebold kill that day. Each time Harris and Klebold kill someone in the game, a dialogue box pops up that says: "Another victory for the Trench Coat Mafia."

The game also includes crime scene photos of the killers and images of students running and crying, though it does not have photos of any victims.

"We live in a culture of death, so it doesn't surprise me that this stuff has become so commonplace," said Brian Rohrbough, whose son, Daniel, was among those slain that day. "It disgusts me. You trivialize the actions of two murderers and the lives of the innocent."

The site's creator, who identified himself in an e-mail interview only by the name "Columbin," told the Rocky Mountain News he wanted to make something that would "promote a real dialogue on the subject of school shootings." He said he was inspired to make the game because he was in Colorado at the time of the attack.

"I was a bullied kid. I didn't fit in, and I was surrounded by a culture of elitism as espoused by our school's athletes." He added that he considered the killers, at times, "very thoughtful, sensitive and intelligent young men."

Richard Castaldo, who was paralyzed from the chest down in the attack, played the game after reading about it on a gaming website. He said it reminded him of the 2003 film Elephant, which follows students and others on the day of a school massacre without assigning reasons or blame for the bloodshed.

"It didn't make me mad, just kind of confused me," he said. "Parts of it were difficult to play through, but overall, I get the feeling it might even be helpful in some ways. I don't think it's bad to discuss."

Aegix Drakan
05-23-2006, 02:13 PM
well, I can't say I'm surprised.

after all, we have a "shoot JFK" game out already.

it's disgraceful people like this who give the gaming community a bad name.

Darth Marsden
05-23-2006, 02:30 PM
Richard Castaldo, who was paralyzed from the chest down in the attack, played the game after reading about it on a gaming website. He said it reminded him of the 2003 film Elephant, which follows students and others on the day of a school massacre without assigning reasons or blame for the bloodshed.

"It didn't make me mad, just kind of confused me," he said. "Parts of it were difficult to play through, but overall, I get the feeling it might even be helpful in some ways. I don't think it's bad to discuss."
Now that's an interesting point. Let's focus on that, rather then "OMFG THEYZ MAD3 A GAM3 OF COLUMBINE THAT'S WELL 3VIL!"

Stuff likes this makes me shrug. If you're offended by it, don't play it. Sounds like an interesting game though, shame I can't play online games.

Glenn the Great
05-23-2006, 04:10 PM
I played the game for awhile. Very interesting concept, though the game has a lot of bugs. If you try to leave the parking lot to the south (after planting the cafeteria bombs but before going to the park to get the knives), two more cafeteria bombs will be placed in your inventory and it seems you have to set them again. I got bored with the game after killing a dozen students because the school is packed with kids and it'd take me forever to kill them all, and they don't put up much of a fight.

War Lord
05-24-2006, 02:21 AM
Yeah, pretty weak.
I don't feel like killing all these hundred or so kids in the school to advance.
Hit the recycle bin.

Glenn the Great
05-24-2006, 11:05 PM
With that many kids, it would have been much better if this was an action RPG.

{DSG}DarkRaven
05-25-2006, 03:06 AM
It's a fresh wound, that's all. It's like World War II games. People don't complain that making a game out of that turbulent, death-filled period trivializes it, do they? At least, not most people, not anymore. Nazi's are a big deal when you make a hate website or march in a parade, but when you play on the german team and kill allied troops in Day of Defeat, nobody lobbies congress to have Steam shut down. In a few years, a generation or two at the most, when games have become truly accepted by the culture, or when the apocalypse has made us all stop caring, it won't be a big deal anymore.

SomaLlama
05-25-2006, 12:38 PM
thats pretty fucked up. I like how... nothing is sacred anymore.

Samson007
05-25-2006, 05:31 PM
Of course, some guy who wants to be remembered for good or bad makes a game like this in a desperate attempt to be famous. I guess it worked.

phattonez
05-25-2006, 09:50 PM
It's a fresh wound, that's all. It's like World War II games. People don't complain that making a game out of that turbulent, death-filled period trivializes it, do they? At least, not most people, not anymore. Nazi's are a big deal when you make a hate website or march in a parade, but when you play on the german team and kill allied troops in Day of Defeat, nobody lobbies congress to have Steam shut down. In a few years, a generation or two at the most, when games have become truly accepted by the culture, or when the apocalypse has made us all stop caring, it won't be a big deal anymore.

It's because in those games you are fighting evil (Nazis). In this game you are fighting the innocent.

Glenn the Great
05-25-2006, 10:23 PM
Those kids weren't so innocent. They were asking for it with all their bullying and crap. At least, that's how it is portrayed in the game.

phattonez
05-25-2006, 10:24 PM
Still though, does that deserve death? I think for the Nazis, there was only one way to stop them. If you're being bullied, do something about it. Killing is not the answer to that problem.

Glenn the Great
05-25-2006, 10:32 PM
Having been a victim of bullying myself, I know that there is nothing you can do about it short of violence. It's either that or have a miserable Elementary and Middle School, like I did.

Zeo
05-26-2006, 01:00 AM
I second glenn, but theres no reason for this game............

Sorry but there's no reason fort at all there is Nothing good about this its jsut a cheap thrill at the expsnese of people's lives.