PDA

View Full Version : The Nintendo DS is garbage.

goKi
05-20-2006, 06:19 PM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6405445518216376043&q=ds

Judging by their lackluster E3, this is probably comments made by a Sony Exec.

MacWeirdo42
05-20-2006, 07:25 PM
Not even a minute in, and I can already feel brain cells dying. What the hell is he ranting about?

EDIT: Halfway through, and I still don't frickin' understand... What is the point of this? He sounds like he's trying to save me from myself before I make the stupid mistake of buying a DS. ARGH! You know, I think I'll just resent you from now on for posting this link.

Cronic
05-20-2006, 08:03 PM
link aside i agree whole heartedly with the topics title ...why such a tiny screen and why a stylus or whatever with no net browser.... :shrugg:

Archibaldo
05-20-2006, 08:31 PM
I lol'd. It's a fact... look it up.

Kevin
05-20-2006, 08:48 PM
The PSP has built in wireless access to connect to the internet and to other PSP gamers. So if you're on a PSP, and your friend is on a PSP, you can play games with each other. Doesn't work with a DS though. You have a DS, and your friend has a PSP, you can't use your DS with a PSP, it doesn't work. Look it up, it's a fact.

Glenn the Great
05-20-2006, 08:57 PM
A friend of mine has a Nintendo DS, and he had me play it for awhile. He put in this puzzle game that challenges you to trace a path on a grid using the stylus, so that you don't cross your lines and you go over each tile. This puzzle is featured in many rooms in the Gameboy Zelda games, I think you know which ones. I liked doing those puzzles, so I thought the game would be fun. As it turned out, it was extremely hard to do it with the stylus. The cells on the grid were too small and I kept slipping and having to restart the puzzle. I would have preferred to play it by using the D-Pad to move the cursor over the cells, one cell at a time. I couldn't find that option anywhere. I concluded that the purpose of the game was primarily to give you a reason to use the touch screen. That rubbed me the wrong way.

In my mind, what keeps innovation from becoming a gimmick, is when a new feature is only used when the existing features will not suffice. It would have been easier to use the D-Pad in that game, and they forced me to use the touch screen, so I see that as a gimmick game.

SomaLlama
05-20-2006, 09:25 PM
this guy really sounds like he knows what hes talking about.

Flash Man
05-20-2006, 09:33 PM
A friend of mine has a Nintendo DS, and he had me play it for awhile. He put in this puzzle game that challenges you to trace a path on a grid using the stylus, so that you don't cross your lines and you go over each tile. This puzzle is featured in many rooms in the Gameboy Zelda games, I think you know which ones. I liked doing those puzzles, so I thought the game would be fun. As it turned out, it was extremely hard to do it with the stylus. The cells on the grid were too small and I kept slipping and having to restart the puzzle. I would have preferred to play it by using the D-Pad to move the cursor over the cells, one cell at a time. I couldn't find that option anywhere. I concluded that the purpose of the game was primarily to give you a reason to use the touch screen. That rubbed me the wrong way.

In my mind, what keeps innovation from becoming a gimmick, is when a new feature is only used when the existing features will not suffice. It would have been easier to use the D-Pad in that game, and they forced me to use the touch screen, so I see that as a gimmick game.

That sounds like polarium, which is quite an awesome game. I did not have much trouble dragging across the squares with the stylus at all when I first tried it, and I had never played the DS before.
The movie sounded like a failed high school speech coming from someone who argues with the word probably.

Glenn the Great
05-20-2006, 09:50 PM
Funny story. The same friend I was talking about, we were leaving a friend's house at night, and he was getting in his car when his Nintendo DS slipped out of his coat pocket and slid into the sewer beneath the sidewalk. We opened up a manhole and he went in looking for it. It had fallen maybe 6 feet, and was still in fine condition.

Archibaldo
05-20-2006, 10:32 PM
My DS can cure the common cold, can yours? Thought not...

redmage777
05-20-2006, 11:03 PM
Lol... This guy almost makes sony look bad, it's almost like Sega's "Trash Nintendo" Campeign back in the early 90's. Whose system is will being emulated on whose? (The Wii will feature emulation for the Sega Genisis if you didn't know)

One comment if found intresting was with reguard to the durability of the units themselves, Most Nintendo systems you almost have to WANT to destroy them, in order for them to stop working. The frends I know who own PSP have to handle them with extreame care, easly broken... My sister once droped her DS 4-5 feet on cement and it still works fine.

Beside with a little organisation he could have made his point quicker and more effectily in 5 minutes instead of 12... I truely hope (for his own sake) that this guy is joking.

Glenn the Great
05-20-2006, 11:09 PM
I was expecting a punchline at the end. Didn't happen though. Sad. The man can't back up any of his points with any substance.

MottZilla
05-21-2006, 12:52 AM
I like how he points of "features" like "the PSP has built in speakers". OMG really? I mean it's not like the original GameBoy had a built in speaker! Oh wait, it did! He also thinks the UMD is great when infact it's really one of the major problems with the PSP and also funny since UMD movies went down in flames.

Anyways, it's obvious the guy is a moron and doesn't know anything. He clearly just wants to kiss Sony's ass and hate Nintendo.

Mitsukara
05-21-2006, 01:08 AM
"Gameboy has been around since 1987"
Yes, Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gameboy) and all those copywrite dates on the system are lying through their teeth except they suck too much to have any.

You know what sucks about these dang gameboy systems is that they're, like, designed for playing games! They should be just for surfing the intarnet and watching movies, because we don't have any machines that do that!!! None portably either! It's rubbish for a videogame system to be so dang obsessed with videogames.

And check google, 'cuz they haven't updated the hardware since NEVAR except the 64 bit graphics and rendering and the two screens that are about, like, 175% the size of the original. And the visibility of the thing. Garbage. All they did was add color!!

goKi
05-21-2006, 01:47 AM
I think he made a stupid satirical video of all the Sony fanboys bashing the DS with no grounds, while denfending their system, which, really, has no defence.

me2
05-21-2006, 02:56 AM
Uh, it's just really bad satire. It's obviously not serious. His site is full of videos like that.

It's funny seeing you guys getting so worked up over this, haha.

koopa
05-21-2006, 04:11 AM
You know what sucks about these dang gameboy systems is that they're, like, designed for playing games! They should be just for surfing the intarnet and watching movies, because we don't have any machines that do that!!! None portably either! It's rubbish for a videogame system to be so dang obsessed with videogames.

Quoted for making me laugh out loud.

I have a DS and I use it for ... playing games. If I want to surf the net, I use a computer, as it has a bigger screen as the DS and PSP put together. For listening to music I have an Ipod. Because the DS doesn't do 100 things I don't need it for anyway, the price is also more what I'd call sensible. If I buy a games console I don't want to pay for other features I don't need.

Also, systems are one thing, games another. I happen o like the nintendo-type games (Mario, Zelda, you name it). And I still consider Tetris one of the all-time best games, even if it doesn't require a PSP level graphics card.

Am I a biased Nintendo fanboy or what ? :)

Darth Marsden
05-21-2006, 05:04 AM
You're not biased. You're a sensible person who just wants to play games. Sony seems to have forgotten that people like us exist, sadly.

Aegix Drakan
05-21-2006, 09:53 AM
You're not biased. You're a sensible person who just wants to play games. Sony seems to have forgotten that people like us exist, sadly.

QFT. video game systems are for playing (GASP!) videogames! It would take, like, a GENIUS to figure that one out! [/sarcasm]

Sony should give up and leave video game creation to the pros! Nintendo FTW!

(yes I am a nintendo fanboy. so sue me!)

redmage777
05-21-2006, 10:23 AM
Sony can stay, competition is a good thing... I just woulnt be paying $500 for a PS3 as soon as they come out. (Honestly I've never paid over $100 for a Game Console in my life!) This might be a good opertunity to finaly break down and get a PS2...

ONeilcool
05-21-2006, 02:04 PM
"The ds has a touch screen which was a horrible idea for a portable system and the DS probably has a horrible battery life because of it.."(I took out all the um and stutters)

At this point I was confused, because the DS has a great battery life.

Then when started talking about the PSP after that remark I just start laughing.

gdorf
05-21-2006, 02:14 PM
This is why I couldn't be a high school teacher. I'd fail 90% of my students.

Darth Marsden
05-21-2006, 02:23 PM
I actually started to watch the video, then gave up at about 5 minutes in because I couldn't watch any more. If it's a joke, then it's not funny, and if it's serious, then it's just pathetic. Almost every point he gave during those 5 mins I saw could easily be disproved with a quick Google search.

People like this make the baby Jesus cry.

vegeta1215
05-21-2006, 03:54 PM
A friend of mine has a Nintendo DS, and he had me play it for awhile. He put in this puzzle game that challenges you to trace a path on a grid using the stylus... I would have preferred to play it by using the D-Pad to move the cursor over the cells, one cell at a time. I couldn't find that option anywhere. I concluded that the purpose of the game was primarily to give you a reason to use the touch screen. That rubbed me the wrong way.

I haven't played Polarium, but when I first heard about it, I was reminded of those Zelda puzzles too.

In terms of touch screen functionality with DS games, some have worked better than others. I think there is a general consensus that Polarium is not as well executed as it could've been. Meteos, however, has been executed very well. You should check it out if you can. They have it at DS download stations.

Warlock
05-21-2006, 04:20 PM
I actually started to watch the video, then gave up at about 5 minutes in because I couldn't watch any more. If it's a joke, then it's not funny, and if it's serious, then it's just pathetic. Almost every point he gave during those 5 mins I saw could easily be disproved with a quick Google search.

People like this make the baby Jesus cry.

Ditto, but I quit after about two. It was just stupid. It was some blind Sony fanboy saying false "facts" about how much the DS sucks and how great UMDs are and shit. I don't want to waste my time with that crap. You're right, if it's a joke or satire or something, it wasn't funny, it was just stupid.

Archibaldo
05-21-2006, 05:48 PM
Uh, it's just really bad satire. It's obviously not serious. His site is full of videos like that.

Well duh. I knew it was a joke the moment he started to get redundant(sp?). "The DS is a piece of garbage... it's trash".

Warlock
05-21-2006, 09:30 PM
The fact that it's satire doesn't keep it from being retarded, not funny and frankly, garbage..

Cronic
05-21-2006, 09:42 PM
Sony should give up and leave video game creation to the pros! Nintendo FTW!

fanboy or not bro thats just ignorant ...if you wanna get down to it the actuality behind that statement is for any given game console any human being who enjoys gaming can find roughly 5-10 titles they will enjoy ...it's ok to play favorites based on how you like to play your systems but the fact remains that each of these developers seriously know what theyre doing ...open your eyes duder

MottZilla
05-22-2006, 11:42 AM
Sony hardly makes any games anyway. They make hardware (which has a history of being overpriced and flawwed). But DC is right, there are plenty of games on Sony's PSx and PS2 that everyone could find something they like. And PS3 will certainly have games people like as well.

Grasshopper
05-22-2006, 12:31 PM
Its a fact, look it up.

I couldn't make it past the 1 minute mark for lack of an organized speech and boring intro. I would hope its a joke just because it makes the guy look stupid. I did make myself watch it again and I wanted to quote a couple things.

The PSP is going to be able to work as a controller on the Playstation 3. The Nintendo DS is not going to work on the, its not going to work as a controller on the Playstation 3, look it up.
The PSP has, it's got built-in wireless access to, to connect to the internet and to other PSP gamers. So you're on a PSP, your friend's on a PSP, you can play games with each other. It doesn't work with a DS though, if you have a DS, and your friend has a PSP, you can't use your DS with your PSP, it doesn't work. Look it up, it's a fact.

MacWeirdo42
05-22-2006, 01:52 PM
Gawd, I can see that becoming a new Internet catchphrase... "It's a fact, look it up." I don't know why this video has become so popular... The guy just sounds like an idiot. It might have been funny had he really meant it, but as it is, it's just lame.

Aegix Drakan
05-22-2006, 06:42 PM
fanboy or not bro thats just ignorant ...if you wanna get down to it the actuality behind that statement is for any given game console any human being who enjoys gaming can find roughly 5-10 titles they will enjoy ...it's ok to play favorites based on how you like to play your systems but the fact remains that each of these developers seriously know what theyre doing ...open your eyes duder

yeah...sorry I was an ass before. there are good playstation games, I was just a bit ticked off that Sony is trying to do businesss by putting down Nintendo, instead of though making better consoles.

MottZilla
05-22-2006, 06:42 PM

Me2 already pointed out to us that this guy does many videos intended to be funny. Ofcourse it wasn't really all that funny. He seemed dead serious and in general about as alive and intelligent as a corpse.

Grasshopper
05-22-2006, 09:09 PM
Me2 already pointed out to us that this guy does many videos intended to be funny. Ofcourse it wasn't really all that funny. He seemed dead serious and in general about as alive and intelligent as a corpse.
I'd like to wonder where he finds his humor. This is as bad as the people who make a joke out of asking me if I've ever heard of a dreamcast, and laugh when I answer the question.:rolleyes:

Orion
05-22-2006, 11:31 PM
That's why it's funny... it got all of you guys worked up :P

solyphon
09-10-2006, 01:56 PM
what i dont understand, is how theres another video, with him saying the psp sucks, and that the ds is better. i repeat, he has 2 videos. one says the ds sucks, and the psp is better, and the other says exactly the opposite.:confused:

biggiy05
09-10-2006, 02:01 PM
what i dont understand, is how theres another video, with him saying the psp sucks, and that the ds is better. i repeat, he has 2 videos. one says the ds sucks, and the psp is better, and the other says exactly the opposite.:confused:

What I don't understand is why you are so annoying. You aren't helping your self by grave digging.

ctrl-alt-delete
09-10-2006, 03:35 PM
What I don't understand is why you are so annoying. You aren't helping your self by grave digging.

Big, give the guy a break. As annoying as he has come off thus-far, he has made semi-intelligent posts, which is a lot to say for new members around here lately. Also, if you are going to comment about somebody breaking the rules, please elaborate. He probably has no idea what you are talking about.

Also, try and make a point of adding to the topic if you are going to post...otherwise, you look like a troll.

Sol, the guy in the videos is trying to be funny...and failing miserably.

MANDRAG GANON
09-10-2006, 05:08 PM
Nintendo is a japanese company, Sony is all american guys. 100% they don't deal with no japanese shit. Everything this guys saying, he heard it from the news or the radio which means this is all true. This guy knows what hes talking about. Pff DS and its $300 system, WAY over priced, sony would never over price thier systems. DS battery life only allows 10 hours of game play guys... thats like 1/4 of PSP battery life. I cant understand why anyone would want something that is not only garbage, but also trash. Time to get innovative nintendo, gotta start putting games like Grand theft auto on there. Wide screen? now thats innovation. I mean a PSP can use an ITOY, HOLY SHIT! YOU CAN RECHARGE PSP BATTERIES WHEN ITS IN YOUR POCKET! Look it all up folks!!! its awesome.
F-You nintendo. Dick heads cant get shit right, f-ing kiddy games.

I can't wait for the PS3 gonna kick everythings ass. ^_^!!!!! soooo soon and it will be mine :D

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=902109023681812200&q=label%3Apsp+sucks <-- look it up folks, waste of time why do this lol

MottZilla
09-10-2006, 11:42 PM
Um... Sony was started in Japan after World War 2... Sony is a Japanese company. Get your facts straight. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony

If you want an american game console, your one and only option is the Xbox 360. And lucky you, it's a damn good console.

Kairyu
09-10-2006, 11:58 PM
He was being satirical. I think.

punkonjunk1024
09-11-2006, 12:03 AM
HAHAHAHAH WOO!

I love fanboys. I love nintendo, and I used to like sony equally. PS1 was really the shit. I like it a bit better than teh n64, in some respects. That was back in my obsession with THPS games, but you know.
Gamecube... At least for my tastes, completely overtakes the PS2. I have a PS2, and I love it. I enjoy alot of games, and few good RPGs, survival horrors, ect type games are on GC that I can think of.
But gamecube owns. I've replayed almost all of my games for it, and regret ever selling any of them, namely paper mario TTYD.

It's extraordinary.

Now... The DS hardware completely overtakes the PSP, as do most of the games. I own a DS, but no PSP. I do not like how fragile the PSP is, how bad the battery life is, ect.

I will get one, sheerly for all the emulation capabilities and that fucking lemmings game they released for it.

As for PS3 and the Wii, you can't stand by sony there.

Sony is fucking retarded. The psp was step one of cognitive disability taking over the staffing of sony. The press releases and statements about PS3..

Jesus christ. I can say without bias that nintendo, and even microsoft have a huge leg-up on sony for now, and quite possibly, forever. Sony could die as sega did, and I wouldn't mind.

MANDRAG GANON
09-11-2006, 12:37 AM
Um... Sony was started in Japan after World War 2... Sony is a Japanese company. Get your facts straight. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony

If you want an american game console, your one and only option is the Xbox 360. And lucky you, it's a damn good console.

:( why'd you guys fall for my sarcasm.

Sure I haven't been here for almost a year and a half but i'da hoped you would have rememberd I was incredibly sarcastic :O (although i am easily forgetable ;))

If I were a fanboy for anything it would be nintendo.

I already own a DS and plan on buying a black DS lite when its released in NA (On Wednesday i believe)

As for 360 I was impressed by Call of Duty 2 and would really like to play Dead rising but overall i've seen nothing of interest to me. Im sick of FPS' and dont like them on consoles, what does that leave? Sports games and 4 or 5 interesting looking games. Most of which are on other systems which I already own. Xbox is an Old Navy console. This is off topic though :o

vegeta1215
09-11-2006, 12:41 AM
:( why'd you guys fall for my sarcasm

I feel like I'm the only one who knew you were being sarcastic :shrug:

punkonjunk1024
09-11-2006, 12:42 AM
You're not easily forgettable...

Mostly because I can't figure out what in the hell your name is supposed to mean. :/

MANDRAG GANON
09-11-2006, 12:52 AM
Ah my name was taken from the instruction booklet for A link to the past. Mandrag Ganon apparently meant Ganon the King of Thieves. Seems it was a mistranslation or something though.

vegeta1215
09-11-2006, 12:58 AM

Big, give the guy a break. As annoying as he has come off thus-far, he has made semi-intelligent posts, which is a lot to say for new members around here lately. Also, if you are going to comment about somebody breaking the rules, please elaborate. He probably has no idea what you are talking about.

I don't see any rules being broken. According to our AGN Terms of Service, grave digging pertains to bringing up topics that are more than sixth months old. None of the topics he has brought up are that old.

But, maybe this is a good time for us to modify that rule.