PDA

View Full Version : Non-playable characters

swordmaster
05-20-2006, 03:41 PM
How do you make non-playable characters on the screen? I'm making a town but I don't know how to make people standing outside? Please help!:confused: :confused: :confused:

Nimono
05-20-2006, 03:53 PM
How do you make non-playable characters on the screen? I'm making a town but I don't know how to make people standing outside? Please help!:confused: :confused: :confused:
Use tiles to make the people, and place warps around them to make it look like they're talking to you. You may not need a string if you use tiles of speech bubbles...

koopa
05-20-2006, 04:05 PM
NPCs are, for the most part, just tiles that have a picture of a person. Guys are set with the "G" key. For more on guys, check the tutorials.

swordmaster
05-21-2006, 02:27 PM
I still don't understand. Make guys? How do you do that?

DeFray
05-22-2006, 03:55 PM
The easiest way is just to get tiles that look like guys. Pure tilesets and the Sun Tower tileset have a lot of good NPCs, including some eyeball combos so that it looks like the person is watching you walk around. Basically you just take the combo with the picture of a person on it and put it on the screen. NPCs normally look best when added to layer 1.

If you want a random person on the screen to be able to talk to you, let me refer you to the following description. I copied it from a post I made a long time ago. This quote describes how to make it so that Link can walk up to a signpost and a string appears on the screen as if Link were reading the sign. You can use this same process with an NPC instead of a signpost to make it look like someone is talking to Link.

You could make it look as if a message displays when Link walks up to a sign. It involves sending Link to another screen. Here's how:

1. First, make sure there are no other tile warps on the screen you want the sign on. We'll call this Screen A. (If there are any other tile warps on that screen, this trick won't work.)
2. Set up the screen so that Link can only approach the sign from below. (Put trees or something around it and behind it.)
3. Create a screen identical to Screen A in a different DMap. Call this new screen Screen B. (The easiest way to do this is to use C and V to copy and paste a screen.)
4. Put a direct warp combo just below the sign on Screen A. (It's a good idea to make a direct warp combo that looks like the ground around it so it doesn't seem out of place.)
5. Set your direct warp combo to warp Link to Screen B.
6. Set the String of Screen B to be whatever you want the sign to say.
7. When Link goes to Screen B the direct warp will send him to the combo right below the sign. Go to Screen B. Put direct warp combos all around the point where Link will appear. Set all these direct warp combos to go back to Screen A.

The idea is that, when Link walks up to the sign, he will be warped to a different screen where a string will display for him (as if he was reading the sign). Then, as soon as Link walks away from the sign, he will be warped back to the first screen again. Since you're using direct warps, Link should switch between screens so quickly that the player doesn't even know he changed screens at all.

Remember that the string won't appear if there is no guy on screen B, and it also won't display if the level number for Screen B's Dmap is 0.

You could set up the sign to display a message when Link hits it with his sword. Set a secret combo just beneath the sign on Screen A to be a direct warp, and put a Slash flag on the sign. Everything else would be done the same way as above.
If you did this you wouldn't be able to have any other secrets or warps on that screen.

swordmaster
05-23-2006, 05:56 PM
Thanks. I think I understand now.:) :googly: :googly: :)