PDA

View Full Version : Training a dog

SUCCESSOR
05-19-2006, 08:38 PM
Ok...

So I'm trying to get my dog, Luke, to learn how to do a few things. Mostly how to play with a ball with me. Since he seems to be uninclined to it and uninterested in going after the damned thing.

Besides that, I'm trying to get him to bring his bowl when I am going to feed him. However it seems that the idea of getting his bowl or even grabbing it when I wave it in front of him is completely incomprehensible.

He's a smart dog just a little deprived of attention, and by a little I mean very.

So, yeah... how can I get it through to him?

Prrkitty
05-19-2006, 11:28 PM
Try using food treats to help get his attention/hold his attention.

Teddy, our pet poodle, just graduated from his first round of obedience classes. And we found that, once we found out which treat he liked the most, using treats would help get his attention... and help hold his attention to what we were doing or wanting him to do.

What kind of dog is he?

granite
05-19-2006, 11:41 PM
Call the Dog Whisperer, or watch the show, it may help.

Prrkitty
05-19-2006, 11:45 PM
On the Animal Planet channel, there is a show called "Good Dog U". The guy that hosts it is very knowledgeable and informative.

Rainman
05-20-2006, 03:12 PM
Call the Dog Whisperer, or watch the show, it may help.
I love this show. I don't even own a dog, but it's cool seeing him work with the dogs natural instincts to get them to behave well.

SUCCESSOR
05-21-2006, 03:12 AM
Holding his attention is not a problem. Getting his attention on what I am trying to teach him is another matter. This problem is worsened if I should let him know I have food.

SomaLlama
05-21-2006, 12:15 PM
rub the ball in crisco, he'll probably be more interested in it.