PDA

View Full Version : Sternums piss me off

biggiy05
05-18-2006, 01:09 AM
I am on a roll tonight. I got palpatations in my heart with shortness of breath and some dizziness.

So now the final count of medical problems is up to four which are all in my chest.

First off is the vasodepressor syncope. In english I will lose consciousness when my blood pressure drops suddenly, heart rate goes down rapidly and the blood vessels in my legs will dilate. The result is very little blood being put out by my heart.

Add in a compressed heart, aorta, and a left lung and you have my chest. Not to mention that my heart has shifted another two inches.

I found all of this out Monday morning followed by "oh yeah you can't finish fire school or do your emt classes until further notice".

All I have to say to that is fuck you sternum!

Now my question. If you had all the problems listed above plus an abnormal chest and a previous surgery where they reconstructed your chest and you were told you couldn't finish off school for possibly another six months, how would you deal with it? I am ready to tear the house apart.

I made this thread out of sheer bordem and to keep my mind off the palpatations.
/boringIfeelreallydizzyrant

Glenn the Great
05-18-2006, 11:58 AM
I thank God every day that I wasn't born with any deformities.

biggiy05
05-18-2006, 12:09 PM
I thank God every day that I wasn't born with any deformities.

Doctors, nurses, the fire stations I have visited, and anyone in a medical field loves seeing me because of my chest.

When I was first hospitalized my cardiologist couldn't believe the surgery they did on my chest and was asking all about it.

Going through high school was a bitch because it's full of drama and people are more immature than a little kid on the playground but now I look back on it and laugh. I can't do anything about it so I just go about things as normally as I can. Nobody knows about it until I either say something or they see it.

rocksfan13
05-18-2006, 12:09 PM
I have a friend that has the same condition, with the exception of the surgery. He has a sunken chest and all. It just looks weird, not a biggy.

But being out for so long, that would drive me crazy. I would say f*** what they all say and go out and live it up. Only you would know if there was really a problem with your body handling it.

Rainman
05-18-2006, 12:13 PM
I'm surprised this wasn't a "Fuck sternums" topic in GB. We were on a roll in there.

biggiy05
05-18-2006, 12:50 PM
I have a friend that has the same condition, with the exception of the surgery. He has a sunken chest and all. It just looks weird, not a biggy.

But being out for so long, that would drive me crazy. I would say f*** what they all say and go out and live it up. Only you would know if there was really a problem with your body handling it.

My best friend's dad has a sunken chest too but his isn't as bad as mine. The doctor who did my surgery in February of 2001 had been doing surgeries like mine and others for almost 20 years and I was the worst case he had ever seen. That kind of bothered me at first.

I haven't let anything stop me so far and this won't either. I have to take the advice and hold back on classes because I can feel everything moving. Last night for instance. I went to pull a box down and I turned to my left really sharp and I felt my heart move along with my sternum shifting. It feels weird as hell and it's annoying.

I'm surprised this wasn't a "Fuck sternums" topic in GB. We were on a roll in there.

It would go south in less than five posts.

mikeron
05-18-2006, 06:46 PM
Now my question. If you had all the problems listed above plus an abnormal chest and a previous surgery where they reconstructed your chest and you were told you couldn't finish off school for possibly another six months, how would you deal with it?Spend your free time learning German so that you can really let loose with expletives.

Lilith
05-19-2006, 06:34 AM
Augh biggy that really sucks. I supposedly have this costo-something-itis in my chest that means the ligaments between my ribs are inflamed and painful. It always makes me think I am dying. I hate being aware of your heart/chest, it makes you feel so...mortal.

Verman
05-19-2006, 12:31 PM
Your heart moved? You could feel that? What a creepy feeling that must have been. I'm trying to imagine it actully... yichers. That can't be good for you a bouncing around heart that is... What the hell do they do about it?

biggiy05
05-19-2006, 01:59 PM
Your heart moved? You could feel that? What a creepy feeling that must have been. I'm trying to imagine it actully... yichers. That can't be good for you a bouncing around heart that is... What the hell do they do about it?

It's not moving inches at a time but over time the inches build up. Hard to imagine feeling something like that unless you have had it happen before.

I won't post the image but just a link so those who don't like weird pictures don't have to see it. Here (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/biggiy05/100_0012.jpg) is what they are going to do. That was from a pectus excavatum surgery in February of 2001. I meet with the same doctors who did the surgery in 01 on Monday morning. Right now they will move my heart back into place, inflate my left lung back to full capacity and move my sternum. After that I have no idea what else will happen.

Prrkitty
05-19-2006, 02:24 PM
Good luck and God Bless biggiy. Not sure what else to say... :) <hug>

SomaLlama
05-19-2006, 04:39 PM
pretty major surgery, hope it turns out well.

Breaker
05-19-2006, 05:08 PM
Get Dr. House (http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2005/07/08/hughlaurie_narrowweb__200x272.jpg) on that shit.