PDA

View Full Version : Mexican Coca-Cola in California may have Lead in it!

Monica
05-17-2006, 08:45 PM
LOS ANGELES (AFP) - The state of California and the city of Los Angeles sued drinks giant Coca-Cola Co., seeking to stop distribution of Coca-Cola made in Mexico amid concerns over its alleged lead content.

The lawsuit claims that elevated levels of lead have been detected in the paint used to decorate the outside of glass Coca-Cola bottles, as well as in the fizzy drink itself.

"Millions of bottles of this product have been handled and consumed by Californians over the past four years without any warning of the danger they pose," the lawsuit claimed.

The lawsuit was filed in Los Angeles Superior Court by California attorney general Bill Lockyer and Los Angeles city attorney Rocky Delgadillo.

Coca-Cola said in a statement that it would "vigorously defend itself" against the "outlandish allegations".

"All Coca-Cola beverages, including those made in Mexico, are safe and comply with all laws," said Ray Steed, a Coca-Cola vice president of quality and technical services.

The suit also alleges that Mexican-bottled Coca-Cola is sold in large volumes in California and that company officials knew that consumers were being exposed to unsafe levels of lead from it.

The Mexican-bottled version of the leading soft drink is sweeter than its US counterpart, and is imported to feed demand from the huge Mexican population in California, the suit says.

Lockyer and Delgadillo reached an accord with PepsiCo in April under which the main Coca-Cola competitor agreed to take steps to prevent lead-contaminated bottles from being distributed in the western state, according to the lawsuit.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060516/ts_alt_afp/usmexicohealth_060516193450

Ewwww a few Cokes I had tasted funny, but I don't think we get it from Mexico...

ShadowTiger
05-17-2006, 08:48 PM
Well, honestly, after This (http://www.killercoke.org/), (Killer Coke, etc.) I doubt I'd be drinking it anyway to find out. Orange soda is where it's at. :p

Cloral
05-17-2006, 10:50 PM
Coke btw sells orange soda, so you might want to check to see who the parent company is. If it's 'Minute Maid', that's Coke.

Being that this story is about CA and that I was drinking a glass of Coke when I clicked on this story, it is a bit troubling. But it isn't without precedent if they already settled a similar issue with Pepsi. Makes you wonder though how widespread this sort of thing might be. Might be time for every state to do some spot checks on lead levels in imported food products.

Monica
05-17-2006, 11:38 PM
Sunkist > All other Orange Soda :P

Cronic
05-20-2006, 01:46 AM
actually that sucks loads ...I ONLY drink coke from the classic glass bottles, and the only ones i can find larger than 10 ounces (it's a daily ritual for me in fact0 are hencho en mexico, and well theyre like 20 ounce glass bottles ...honestly the shit tastes much better that way lead or none.

Freedom
05-20-2006, 03:01 AM
We should have never allowed Bush to allow imports of food products from Mexico.
My mother who is 75 got infested with parasites in her glands by tomatoes grown in mexico and imported here, she has been fighting them for over a month and a half now and between doctors visits and medications has cost her right at $1000.00 so far.
In mexico, produce is grown in human waste, here in the U.S. that practice has been against the law since before any of us were even born.

Look forward to all kinds of outbreaks of disease in the near future here.