PDA

View Full Version : Zelda 64

hobo 575
05-17-2006, 06:46 PM
Hi i was woundering does any one know of a zelda oot that is being made for the computer. Kinda liike zelda 64 classic, if so tell me if not we should make one. Please notifie me if you have any codeing mapping or moddeling. I have some epertise in modleling and some in texturing.
Also I would probably use the quake 3 engine or darklaces engine. If any one knows of a better engine notify me
:) :D :)

Cloral
05-17-2006, 07:34 PM
Not ZC related, moving it to General Gaming Discussion...

MottZilla
05-17-2006, 07:58 PM
Generally you don't see freeware 3D games of high depth and quality. Part of the reason is that quality modeling and texturing isn't that easy to come by for free. And making your own 3D levels is alot more complicated for users than 2D tiled levels.

vegeta1215
05-17-2006, 09:25 PM
There is a Zelda mod for Halo on the PC. I'm not sure what the goal of the project is, but the character models are in the same style as those found in Ocarina of Time.

hobo 575
05-17-2006, 10:50 PM
Does any one want to make a 3d zelda

Warlock
05-18-2006, 11:29 AM
Does any one want to make a 3d zelda

no :P

hobo 575
05-18-2006, 12:27 PM
It would start out small and get bigger. First i would code it into 3rd person and then put in a sowrd melle wepon for link to use. I would make some death match maps. Whats so hard about that?

Cloral
05-18-2006, 02:52 PM
Sounds simple, but it will be a lot more complex than that. Believe me, I program for a living. There's always lots of little things you didn't anticipate that come up as you go. I wouldn't recommend trying something this ambitious unless you've done previous projects or have had formal programming training. My advice: start with something simpler, like a tetris-style puzzle game. Completing something like that will give you the skills you need to take on a bigger project.

MottZilla
05-18-2006, 05:08 PM
Nuh uh, u just press teh big button that sez dis iz how it iz and poof u hav a game!

Ya, anyways, creating a game like Cloral said is alot more complicated than people think. They just assume with all the technology and with the vast amount of games and even crappy games, that it's easy. It's not easy or quick. You need experience and then alot of time to develop your game. And again like Cloral said, you need to start out with smaller pieces to the puzzle. If you want to make a Zelda 64 clone, and you have to wonder, how do I render the graphics, or how do I handle maps, etc. You aren't even close to being capable.

Doing small programs like Tetris, Pong, Map Editors, etc will help you gain the skills required to do all the things in a bigger project. But you ofcourse need to start by having a clue of what you're doing. If you don't know programming in C you need to learn that. Once you know C you'll be able to get somewhere.

Glenn the Great
05-18-2006, 05:36 PM
It would start out small and get bigger. First i would code it into 3rd person and then put in a sowrd melle wepon for link to use. I would make some death match maps. Whats so hard about that?

It isn't as easy as having some ideas and poof, you've got a game. Before you can start making maps, you're going to need an editor that is designed around creating a Zelda game. Just making that editor is going to require a tremendous amount of work, and an intimate knowledge of programming concepts and techniques that typically take years to learn. There is so much work that goes into making a game that most people don't realize. There is a big world of "behind the scenes" mechanisms that are needed to make a game. You have to remember that it took a couple years for a college-educated TEAM of people to put together Zelda OOT.

Like Mottzilla said, you are going to have to experiment with smaller, simpler projects for a long time before you have the skills to make something of the calibre of OOT.

hobo 575
05-18-2006, 05:51 PM
it would just be a mod and i was looking for somone who could help me learn to code also. You guys seem to think that a little mod that looks somthing likle oot and has link and a multiplayer is harder than brain surgery. Just look on any half life or q3 moding website and ull se plent of mods like it. There woundt be that much coding what r u guys talking about? My brother siad he'd help me out a little cause he has texetured and coded for half life.
Right now im working on some models. If any is the slightest bit intrested they could help in stead of critisised

Glenn the Great
05-18-2006, 06:03 PM
The problem is, it will take tremendous work to make a mod from some other game behave like Zelda OOT, which is a totally different game.

Tygore
05-18-2006, 06:37 PM
You have to remember that it took a couple years for a college-educated TEAM of people to put together Zelda OOT.

Now compare that to Zelda 1, where you can count the different names in the credits on one hand.

ZC exists and does so well because it's based off a simpler game for a simpler machine. 20 years later, it makes sense that people can reproduce that from scratch. OoT is immensely more complicated and as such would require exponentially much more effort to clone.

hobo 575
05-18-2006, 07:07 PM
i dont want to clone it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
you dont under stand that it would take so little coding that my grandma could do it i just need som help with mapping

Nimono
05-18-2006, 07:10 PM
you dont under stand that it would take so little coding that my grandma could do it i just need som help with mapping
If you don't clone it, you can't have your so-called "Zelda 64 Classic". What do you think Zelda Classic is? It's a Zelda 1 clone. Oh, and I'm sorry if that seemed rude.

Glenn the Great
05-18-2006, 07:21 PM

You don't know a damn thing about programming.

hobo 575
05-18-2006, 07:25 PM
it did. im sorry if i was unclear about the zelda classic64 thing but what i meant was "It would start out small and get bigger" quoting a very smart person

Nimono
05-18-2006, 07:29 PM
it did. im sorry if i was unclear about the zelda classic64 thing but what i meant was "It would start out small and get bigger" quoting a very smart person
Well, I wasn't meaning to sound rude. But I'm serious, if you try to make what you're wanting, you're going to end up with a clone of Ocarina of Time. What's so wrong about that?

hobo 575
05-18-2006, 07:32 PM
it would be hard. it is my goal but u have to start some where so i would make a death macth sort of thing.my real question is DOES ANYONE WANT TO HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glenn the Great
05-18-2006, 07:34 PM
it would be hard. it is my goal but u have to start some where

I'll tell you where you should start. Re-create Pong.

hobo 575
05-18-2006, 07:37 PM
if i do will you help me with this MOD.

Glenn the Great
05-18-2006, 07:39 PM
No, because after you do that, you should re-create Tetris. You have a lot of practice ahead of you before you can work on a Zelda 64 Classic.

hobo 575
05-18-2006, 07:40 PM
u think im goin to recreat every stinkin atari game just to make 1 simple mod

Glenn the Great
05-18-2006, 07:44 PM
Yes. Ask Cloral. I think he'd agree. He's probably had to recreate a lot of games during his training to be a professional game programmer.

hobo 575
05-18-2006, 07:54 PM
WILL U HELP ME!! i can model a all ready have made the hylian sheild and my bro textured it. i also made the kokiri sword

gdorf
05-18-2006, 08:14 PM
No one here will help you. Your best bet is to try to find the halo mod vegeta was talking about and play it.

You can't spell.
You can't program.
You can't listen and follow directions.

Therefore:
You can't make a 3d Zelda Mod.

Technowiz
05-18-2006, 08:47 PM
Hey! Stop being so tough on hobo. We all have dreams and we all want to accomplish them before we die. This is hobo's. Now I don't have much experience and my Uncle is teaching me Computer Science but I will help you anyway I can hobo. Though I am afriad it won't be much since I am not on the internet much and I am busy at work. For the rest of you, could you guys please go a little easy on hobo. I have a related thread called Zelda games in which I am looking for nintendo zelda games that I can play on computer. Hey we are all family here we all like zelda lets try to remeber that. :)

Glenn the Great
05-18-2006, 08:59 PM
I understand that he has a dream, and I respect that. The thing is, he needs a reality check, and someone needs to give him a rude awakening.

hobo 575
05-18-2006, 09:15 PM
i have already found how to do 3rd person in dark places engine. The only thing that stands in front of the dream is people that think it cant be done. Michelangelo once said
"The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark." Also how do u know it cant be done by me.
Besides ive done some game creating although its almost compleatly different than moding.
So please stop critisizing and help me out like technowiz, Thank you technowiz. My brother
has done coding also and his experinced with computers in general having made many a computer out of spare parts that he found.
Technowiz what can u do code, animate, model, or texture. Shortly i will post a screen
shot of my hylian shield and my kokiri sword

Glenn the Great
05-18-2006, 09:19 PM
No. Go away.

Gerudo
05-18-2006, 09:44 PM
I'm seeing a lot of restraint here. Quite suprising. :p

Technowiz:
gdorf hit the nail on the head. What this kid envisions, will take him years of work, a lot more than he thinks goes into something. I can assure you it took Phantom Menace a couple of months or more to get just the basic code down for ZC. Unless this kid realizes what we're trying to tell him, there is no room for him in either the planning or coding world until he's out of elementary school.

hobo 575
05-18-2006, 10:15 PM
I know it wont be a couple of days even a couple of months it will take at least a year. i still want to do it. It wont be a walk in the park either but im still doing it. Now is there anyone who can texture

hobo 575
05-18-2006, 10:18 PM
You can't spell.

by the way what the heck are you talking about its a forum for heavens sake thats the definition. bad spelling

hobo 575
05-18-2006, 10:34 PM
hey that zelda mod is dead i cant find it the only web site is dead a live link would be apreciated

Cloral
05-18-2006, 10:37 PM
Bad spelling is not the definition of a forum. Some of us try to spell well and use good grammar because it's easier to read.

I think one of the questions here is what exactly are you trying to do? You say you are going to make a mod, but of what? And to what degree do you want to mod? Are you planning to make the enemies look like Zelda enemies, or do you want to make a full-on Hyrule where you can ride a horse, smash things with the hammer, and swing a sword? If you don't want to change too much, this project may be more do-able than I originally thought. Though I will reiterate my initial assertion that you should start with something simpler. Two-dimentional games are far easier to handle than three-dimentional ones.

Also, you should try to avoid posting several times in a row. It is generally frowned-upon around here.

MottZilla
05-18-2006, 11:34 PM
No one has said what you want to do can't be done. We're just saying at the present time you have no hope what-so-ever of completing anything like what you seem to want.

If you want a half assed mod of quake, that's probably not hard. Ofcourse, it'll only be a half assed product.

Glenn the Great
05-18-2006, 11:40 PM
After reading this kid's posts in the ZC forums, he doesn't even know how to move files from one directory to another. He's nowhere near capable.

Tygore
05-19-2006, 12:26 AM
by the way what the heck are you talking about its a forum for heavens sake thats the definition. bad spelling

A forum is loosely defined as a gathering place for the exchange of thought. Now, your thought is expressed with the writing style of a child in the third grade. Trust me, if you want people to take you seriously, use proper syntax. It'll do wonders for how people respond to you.

Orion
05-19-2006, 12:27 AM
If the kid wants to try, let him try. No harm in that. If he fails, so what, at least he might have learned something.

Either way, I think this thread has outlived it's usefulness.

hobo 575
05-19-2006, 03:48 PM
After reading this kid's posts in the ZC forums, he doesn't even know how to move files from one directory to another. He's nowhere near capable.
I know how to move files its just that sean said to install it in the zc directory
even thought there was no intsalling.
what is a list of things you think i should do before i tackle this.
also my mods end goal would be to be exactly like zelda oot but i would first make it a mere reflection. The more i would do the more i would learn. Besides the question wasnt could i handle making the mode the real question is will some body help me

Glenn the Great
05-19-2006, 04:58 PM
The thing is, anyone who helps you will be doing all of the work. You'd be a 5th wheel to the process.

If you really want to start down the path of knowing what you are doing, start learning a programming language. There are a lot of sites on the Internet that give tutorials. Visual Basic is a good language for beginners. Figure out what software you will need and get yourself set up, and figure out how to get some small example programs running. Keep reading tutorials and practicing with small programs. You are going to need to try to learn everything you can about VB. Many people have to go to college to learn programming, but it is possible to teach yourself. I am a programming student, but I did get very far on my own before I started going to school, and all of that came from tutorials.

Once you are comfortable with the code, look around www.gamedev.net and try to learn some of the techniques that go into making a game. You are probably going to have to make some simple 2D games for a while. The whole process of getting to be competent enough to work on a 3D game like Zelda OOT may take you a good 4 or 5 years.

MottZilla
05-19-2006, 05:01 PM
Infact it took Nintendo technically something like 4 years to go from nothing to the OoT completed product. And they were professionals.

DarkFlameWolf
05-19-2006, 10:52 PM
lots of restraint being seen here. Lots of humoring.

me2
05-20-2006, 12:34 AM
How old are you, hobo?

If you can get a playable demo AT LEAST, people will have more respect for you and understand how good you are at programming. I'm pretty sure it'll be too hard to code a 3D engine/clone of Z64 for one person.

You're better off playing a rom online, or the actual game than coding this thing. :/

MottZilla
05-20-2006, 01:57 AM
How old are you, hobo?

If you can get a playable demo AT LEAST, people will have more respect for you and understand how good you are at programming. I'm pretty sure it'll be too hard to code a 3D engine/clone of Z64 for one person.

You're better off playing a rom online, or the actual game than coding this thing. :/

It wouldn't be hard for one person to make something similar. But they'd actually have to have... oh what are those called... oh yes, skills and intelligence.

vegeta1215
05-20-2006, 01:03 PM
If the kid wants to try, let him try. No harm in that. If he fails, so what, at least he might have learned something.

Either way, I think this thread has outlived it's usefulness.

I agree.

You guys that had nothing but negative things to say should think before you post - this kind of stuff is what drives new members away. We cannot grow as a community if this continues.