PDA

View Full Version : e3: The Wii Show

Cloral
05-12-2006, 10:20 PM
Clearly the Wii was the star of the show this year, and today I found out why. I had to wait several hours in line to do so, but it was worth it. I got to play four games today: a tennis game, Wario Ware, Metroid Prime, and Zelda. In the tennis game, you didn't control your character's movement, instead just swinging the racket. I wasn't very good at it, but it was fun to swing the racket rather than just hitting a button.
Wario Ware was a great example of what you can do with the console. I think it should ship with the Wii. In traditional Wario Ware fare, you play a bunch of games that take a few seconds each. Between games, they sent you to a weird-looking drawing of a room with an elephant standing outside. On the bottom of the screen was a list with about a dozen icons in it. Each icon represented a different way of holding the controller - that should give you an idea of the level of variety the game encompassed. The game would select an icon, you change your grip to that style, and the game starts. They ranged from swatting flies (hold the controller vertically and flick it at the screen), to driving a car (hold the controller sideways with both hands and turn it like a steering wheel), hula hoop (hold the controller at your hips and then make a hula-hoop motion), and many more. This is definately going to be the most fun Wario Ware game yet.

Metriod looks to be another great game. As you might expect, you use the 'nunchuck' to move and the remote to aim and look. This setup takes some getting used to, but looks to be a really good way to handle FPS-style action. In one area, I was attacked by a swarm of flying robots with shields. One by one they deactivated their shields to fire at me, which made for some great target practice. Another area had me scan a console to activate an elevator. After doing so, I was informed that the elevator required manual interaction to activate. This meant going up to another panel with a cylinder-shaped rod and hitting A. The cylinder needed to be rotated a quarter turn, which was accomplished by pulling the controller back, rotating it, and pushing it back forward. This may sound kinda stupid, but touches like that really make the game much more immersive. But by far the best part was the grapple beam. The grapple beam is shot out by flicking the 'nunchuck' (the analog stick you hold in your left hand) towards the screen, which is the same motion Samus does in the game. In the demo, the grapple beam was not used to swing over pits, but to pull things towards Samus, like gratings that got in the way, or shields the enemies were carrying.

Zelda looks to be really good too. Here you didn't use the remote to move the camera, which was really a relief in this style of game. Down, left, and right on the D-Pad were used like the 3 C Buttons on the N64 for your 3 selected items. B is your sword, but moving the nunchuck produces other types of attacks. Swinging it in a circle produces a circle slice, while flicking it up and down produces a vicious finishing move where Link jumps on the enemy, stabbing his sword through its gut. The example level gave Link a bow which you aim with the remote, a boomerang that can lock onto mutiple targets like in Wind Waker - but this one when 'thrown' actually produces a tornado that travels to the targets you select (which I suspect means in the final version means it will use up magic power). They also give you steel boots, which in the demo were used to latch on to an electomagnet that carried you upside-down over a gap. All in all, Zelda looks to be really good, it would definately be worth picking up on either system.

The other fun thing about the Wii booth was near the front of the line, they had large screens in the wall where people in booths could talk to you. The last screen had the guy who does the voice for Mario, who despite how Mario sounds in an old-ish guy who isn't the slightest bit Italian. The line stopped with me right in front of the screen, so I got to talk to him for a few minutes. I asked him if he liked hearing himself in the games, and he said that he really does. His favorite thing apparently is seeing how people react to his voice. He did a number of Mario's quotes and sounds for us, like the 'woah woah woah woah woah' sound Mario makes when you fall off a cliff. He also did Wario and baby Mario, and he did what Mario would sound like if he were 'Grandpa Mario'. It was so funny to hear those sounds coming from him and not the characters you associate them with.

In summation, I am going to get a Wii. I would suggest others to do so as well. I think there is a lot of potential fun to be had here, even if the graphics aren't as 'high-res' as the other platforms.

Glenn the Great
05-12-2006, 10:28 PM
The other fun thing about the Wii booth was near the front of the line, they had large screens in the wall where people in booths could talk to you. The last screen had the guy who does the voice for Mario, who despite how Mario sounds in an old-ish guy who isn't the slightest bit Italian. The line stopped with me right in front of the screen, so I got to talk to him for a few minutes. I asked him if he liked hearing himself in the games, and he said that he really does. His favorite thing apparently is seeing how people react to his voice. He did a number of Mario's quotes and sounds for us, like the 'woah woah woah woah woah' sound Mario makes when you fall off a cliff. He also did Wario and baby Mario, and he did what Mario would sound like if he were 'Grandpa Mario'. It was so funny to hear those sounds coming from him and not the characters you associate them with.

I'm going to have to stop right here and make something clear. I have not been a fan of Mario for a long time now, and one of the biggest reasons is the man you mention here, Charles Martinet. The Mario in the games today is not the same Mario I worshipped as a child. No. The Mario I look up to sounds like Captain Lou Albano.

vegeta1215
05-12-2006, 11:13 PM
Everything I've heard about Wii has gotten me more excited, and the testimony of an AGN member is much welcome. Thanks for the scoop Cloral :thumbsup:

Nicholas Steel
05-12-2006, 11:47 PM
The Mario I look up to sounds like Captain Lou Albano.

agree'd

Mitsukara
05-13-2006, 01:19 AM
Well, it doesn't put me off from playing the games at all, and I can't say I really hate it, but Charles Martinet does sound horribly cheesy where Captain Lou Albano (Super Mario Bros Super Show voice actor for those who don't know- and pro wrestler IIRC) actually sounded pretty decent. I liked Luigi's voice in SMBSS even better actually, and the new official version is kinda grating. Toad on the other hand is horrible in any games where he has voice acting, and sounds like a psycho who's had 10,009 ounces of caffiene in the last hour >.<

Super Mario Galaxy is interesting, and Smash Bros. Brawl even more so- most likely SSBB will be the first game I get for this system (in approximately 2009 :P Also, I'm going to call mine my "Dolphin" just to mess with people, and because it sounds cooler) I'm betting there's a King Dedede character hidden somewhere in this game, incidentally...

I'm actually more excited about Super Paper Mario and Yoshi's Island 2, though ;)

Darth Marsden
05-13-2006, 10:36 AM
Glad you enjoyed yourself Cloral. Looks like Nintendo has a real winner on their hands.

LinktheMaster
05-13-2006, 12:00 PM
Yeah, the Wii definitely looks like it might be Nintendo's chance to pull itself back up from the slump that was the GCN. Maybe Nintendo can't beat the X360 or the PS3, but I do honestly think the Wii can gain some of Nintendo's lost ground. :)

MottZilla
05-13-2006, 03:16 PM
GCN wasn't really a slump, it was just not hugely successful. Remember Nintendo wasn't losing money. And DS has certainly kept their hold on the portable market and expanding the market as well.

By beat the Xbox 360 or PS3, if you mean in a processing and graphical fashion, ofcourse not. But in the past the NES and GameBoy destroyed competition with better graphical capabilities. It's all about the gameing experience in the end.

Grasshopper
05-13-2006, 03:35 PM
Toad on the other hand is horrible in any games where he has voice acting, and sounds like a psycho who's had 10,009 ounces of caffiene in the last hour >.<

Toad was the pimp in SMBSS :)

Samson007
05-13-2006, 04:01 PM
Cant wait to try one of these out for myself. :)

Glenn the Great
05-13-2006, 04:26 PM
I actually liked Toad's voice in SMBSS. It really portrayed him as what he is: a pathetic weakling mushroom man.

And yes I agree, Luigi's voice was perfect too. I have more respect for the modern Luigi than I do for Mario because he still sounds similar to Denny Wells.

I feel that today's Mario comes off as an annoying bouncy PeeWee Herman.

LinktheMaster
05-13-2006, 07:55 PM
GCN wasn't really a slump, it was just not hugely successful. Remember Nintendo wasn't losing money. And DS has certainly kept their hold on the portable market and expanding the market as well.

By beat the Xbox 360 or PS3, if you mean in a processing and graphical fashion, ofcourse not. But in the past the NES and GameBoy destroyed competition with better graphical capabilities. It's all about the gameing experience in the end.
Well, consider the fact that the GCN has been selling less and less and developers have been porting less and less games to the GCN.

And by beat, I'm mostly referring to system sales. The X360 and PS3 are probably going to ride a lot of their former customers. However, the Wii has to not only ride off the former customers, but bring in new ones. I just doubt that the Wii will be able to shake enough people to pull ahead in sales, just make up the lost ground and lessen the gap. :shrug:

Lilith
05-19-2006, 06:38 AM
The title of this thread made me lol.

Also it does look like Nintendo will bubump the competition but WE CAN ONLY HOPE. No Segwaying plz.

Dechipher
05-20-2006, 12:43 PM
Well, consider the fact that the GCN has been selling less and less and developers have been porting less and less games to the GCN.

And by beat, I'm mostly referring to system sales. The X360 and PS3 are probably going to ride a lot of their former customers. However, the Wii has to not only ride off the former customers, but bring in new ones. I just doubt that the Wii will be able to shake enough people to pull ahead in sales, just make up the lost ground and lessen the gap. :shrug:
If MS brings back their customers, Sony brings back their's, and Nintendo brings back thier's, then everything continues as it is now. However, Nintendo has the potential to bring in new customers, something that Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 will have a harder time doing.