PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Think About Louisiana? (or any other place)

Monica
05-12-2006, 05:04 PM
Every state (or most) seem to have a stereotype associated with it. I got the idea after seeing King of the Hill when they went to New Orleans. That looked as strange to me as if it were Europe or something, except for the accents. I've heard of different opinions, from trashy swamp people, to really dumb, to inbreeding...O______O

What comes to mind when you think of my state? (and feel free to bring up more states, countries, ect)

Glenn the Great
05-12-2006, 05:15 PM
Well, I've been living in Georgia for the past 17 years, and if anyone wants to say that Georgia is full of trashy redneck hicks, I will wholeheartedly agree.

ctrl-alt-delete
05-12-2006, 05:20 PM
...to inbreeding...)

Nah, that is only Arkansas!

Monica
05-12-2006, 05:24 PM
Well, I've been living in Georgia for the past 17 years, and if anyone wants to say that Georgia is full of trashy redneck hicks, I will wholeheartedly agree.

Georgia owns simply because of Jeff Foxworthy. :D

Oh yeah I'll agree that Louisiana is full of dumb people cause of our public schools. The dumb people RUN the public schools. In my parish, teachers only get paid $30,000 a year with a PHD, so they hire uncertified teachers...>_<

SomaLlama
05-12-2006, 05:37 PM
general picture of louisiana would be for a me.... chubby old guy in overalls, sitting on the porch of his shack in the middle of a swamp with a shotgun and an alligator >.>

Glenn the Great
05-12-2006, 05:51 PM
Someone in Louisiana was an idiot for starting a city below sea level.

Rainman
05-12-2006, 05:57 PM
Honestly I don't really think about Louisiana other than Mardi Gras and Girls Gone Wild.

ShadowTiger
05-12-2006, 06:01 PM
Same. Even if opinions like that exist, there's usually something backing both the opinion and the reality, whatever it may be. I like to leave it be just in case stating an opinion comes back to bite me in the arse. > >. It's far too easy to be bitten by those nowadays.

Someone in Louisiana was an idiot for starting a city below sea level.I'm so extraordinarily inclined to agree. However, like I said earlier, I'd want to hear the original motivation for doing such a thing.

Glenn the Great
05-12-2006, 06:04 PM
When I get into my career, I want to get out of Georgia and the South in general. I plan to go to California or Washington. Surround myself with a more liberal crowd. I want to see what it is like to live in a city as opposed to this agricultural zone I live in.

ShadowTiger
05-12-2006, 06:05 PM
Bring a gas mask and a stun gun. The pollution is god-awful and you never know which hobo is going to jump you and lick your neck for money.

Oh, and a bagged lunch. Food is expensive up here.

Glenn the Great
05-12-2006, 06:07 PM
Bring a gas mask and a stun gun.

Oh yeah, don't want to go anywhere without my trusty shock stick. Nah ah.

Monica
05-12-2006, 06:15 PM
I love the South, but I've always wandered what it would be like to be in New York. I dunno if I could stand a billion people, and it's probably horribly expensive. Surrounded by buildings instead of wide open space, minimal grass and nature...yikes.

Glenn the Great
05-12-2006, 06:21 PM
Grass and nature suck. They harbor too many bugs like the 5 billion fireants surrounding me. It is not an exaggeration when you hear of lots of fireants in Georgia or other nearby states. I will pay you $100 to show me a square foot patch of grass in Georgia that doesn't have at least 10 fireants crawling around on it, with God knows how many underneath it.

If you live in the south, you never go outside barefoot. NEVER. You just don't, unless you like to be stung by ants.

Monica
05-12-2006, 06:29 PM
Awww Glenn, I love nature, we don't have fire ants around here, and I don't really worry about antbites, I'm more concerned with stepping on a sticker in the grass, than I am getting bit.

I don't live in the middle of a swamp, btw, I live in a tiny suburb of a small town that has farmland around it, and there's a bayou that goes through town and sometimes Alligators swim in it but that's all.

mikeron
05-12-2006, 06:30 PM
Viva La Reconquista?

Glenn the Great
05-12-2006, 06:34 PM
I could conquer this whole nation if I could get those little guys in my yard to do what I say.

Monica
05-12-2006, 06:34 PM
Viva La Reconquista?

What's that?

goKi
05-12-2006, 07:10 PM
You wouldn't believe it, but here, in the land of the stereotype, Australia, we stereotype people from different areas. For example, Drunken Tiger can't drive because he's a Victorian.

It's also common knowledge that Tasmanians are all 1st cousins to each other, and all die by having their cars set on fire while they're inside.

Archibaldo
05-12-2006, 09:20 PM
Untill just recently I thought NYC was a hive of deciet and villany. When I went there, I expected to see hobos, killings and steam coming from steam grates. But you know what I saw when I went there? A hobo break up, no killing and only one steam grate. Man was I disappointed. Every where we went I kept my eyes open for the steam grates. But I did get to see the restaurant from Seinfeld. But yeah, I got a little off track there.

Glenn the Great
05-12-2006, 10:08 PM
Don't worry, when me and my ants get our act together and topple this nation, we'll erect a grand city in the place of New York, and oh will there be steam grates!

-----------------------------------------
http://www.onlineathens.com/images/072701/fireants.jpg

ambience~
05-13-2006, 03:29 PM
mehhh~

im not in the USA but

i see it like this:

Eastern Seaboard is smart
as is the west BUT not as smart because they are all celebrities/built on a fault line~

then
everyone else is a hillbilly with an IQ of 8~

its just the impression i get :/

i suppose you could say i have bad teeth~
(i dont think i do :confused: )

Aegix Drakan
05-14-2006, 07:47 PM
(clears throat)

I'd just like to clear up a few myths about my country...

our parliament building in NOT made of ice!

we DO NOT have polar bear killing squads as part of our police force.

it is NOT always winter here.

YES! we are the best hockey players in the world!

and NO, we don't all have pet beavers!

biggiy05
05-14-2006, 08:27 PM
(clears throat)

I'd just like to clear up a few myths about my country...

our parliament building in NOT made of ice!

we DO NOT have polar bear killing squads as part of our police force.

YES! we are the best hockey players in the world!

Where the fuck did those myths comes from?

I will give you the hockey part but the others?

Verman
05-15-2006, 09:43 AM

- Actully dude, in some area's it is almost always winter, 8 - 10 months of it :D But hell, winter = NO FIREANTS!

- Speak for yourself.

the only insect life i hate here in canada is earwigs, they freak me out... I go on holy crusades to crush the evil bastards!

Other then that, its good here :D Hardly any natural disasters and alot of room, course a useless socalist government is annoying though.

moocow
05-15-2006, 09:57 AM
Honestly I don't really think about Louisiana other than Mardi Gras and Girls Gone Wild.

Agreed.

People think of farms and shit when it comes to Ohio. But really, Ohio is just like California without the ocean and earthquakes.

ShadowTiger
05-15-2006, 10:46 AM
But hell, winter = NO FIREANTS! Hear hear. ;) I love winter because of the snow, snow days, (However rare they are.) and the lack of insect life. A fly landed on my hand while I was standing in front of a urinal today. Have you any idea how irritating that is?!?! XD :laughing: That wouldn't happen during winter, I can tell you that. :rolleyes:

Archibaldo
05-15-2006, 11:18 AM
the only insect life i hate here in canada is earwigs, they freak me out... I go on holy crusades to crush the evil bastards!

OMG I hate earwigs. They always seem to show up every where you go. And with the name 'earwig' and the pincher thingys on thier ass they just scream disgusting.

Glenn the Great
05-15-2006, 12:13 PM
Verman, you have fireants too?! Another person who understands the blessedness of Winter.

Verman
05-15-2006, 01:06 PM
No No...we have no fireants... we couldn't its not the right kind of weather ;) This thing called winter is good for keeping things like rattlesnakes and incests down for months :D

Does it get hot as shit in georgia? Doesn't really here, 25 Celsius max in the summer... which to me is stupid hot...

Aegix Drakan
05-15-2006, 02:42 PM
Where the fuck did those myths comes from?

I will give you the hockey part but the others?

Have you ever seen "Rick Mercer's Talking to Americans" ? :rolleyes: The stuff some americans believe...

And there are also tons(And I mean TONS!) of T-shirts which have the points I just listed on them.

Glenn the Great
05-15-2006, 03:04 PM
No No...we have no fireants... we couldn't its not the right kind of weather ;) This thing called winter is good for keeping things like rattlesnakes and incests down for months :D

Does it get hot as shit in georgia? Doesn't really here, 25 Celsius max in the summer... which to me is stupid hot...

In years past, Georgia has gotten very hot in the summer time. The weather has been fucked up the past few years though. We just had a hot winter (record temperatures too) and now it's almost Summer and it's been quite chilly the past couple months. It's quite cold in the morning, enough to make me take my heavy coat to school with me. I still have to scrape frost off my windshield sometimes.

Verman
05-15-2006, 03:28 PM
frost? thats warm ;) this winter it was down to about -35C which is like -31F.... thats a tad cold ;) course this summer im sure its gonna hit 25C (77F) we have a huge temperture range

Archibaldo
05-15-2006, 05:24 PM
Yeah, sometimes it gets retardedly hot in Canada. And then there are days where it gets retardedly cold. Like back in 1998 I think it was, lower Quebec had a massive ice storm. People in Montreal went with out power for like a month. It was insane.

mikeron
05-15-2006, 06:45 PM
Yeah, sometimes it gets retardedly hot in Canada. And then there are days where it gets retardedly cold. Like back in 1998 I think it was, lower Quebec had a massive ice storm. People in Montreal went with out power for like a month. It was insane.Plus, now you've got polar/grizzly hybrids (http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory?id=1951208). LMFAO. Oh, Canada.

granite
05-15-2006, 08:42 PM
Plus, now you've got polar/grizzly hybrids (http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory?id=1951208). LMFAO. Oh, Canada.

Since polar bears are having a tough time these days, I don't think there should be a hunting season on them.
And damn, this grizzlolar, or polarzzly bear was the first one that has been found in the wild, and they killed it. This totally sucks.

Lilith
05-19-2006, 06:30 AM
Everyone in the North thinks everyone from the South is racist and stupid. I actually don't think of Lousiana that way, though...the culture there is really mixed and unique, and it has a cool history. Also the spirituality down there is supposed to be whack.

Ohio is supposed to be the most normal place in the country or something. lol.

Also I love NYC and I'm going to live there someday. It's awesome in every way. I don't like nature and the country--well, I do, but more in a picture-taking-way. It's pretty but useless to me, seems uninsipiring for my tastes. I like places that change a lot, where you can go to the same spot everyday and see something different.

And lolz earwigs are one of the bugs that scare everyone but me. They used to infest my house, once I found one in my showercap after it had been on my head, so it'd been crawling around on my head for like a half hour, and I lol'd. OH BOY I'M SO TOUGH.

Also, Southerners apparently think Northerners are rude and Notherners think Southerners are invasive. I guess I am a Yankee then, the thought of some random person coming up and talking to me is just odd...that's another good thing about cities is people respect personal space more in certain situations, and if someone violates that it's more taboo.

So what does everyone think when they think of Chicago?