PDA

View Full Version : FPS game suggestions.

biggiy05
05-12-2006, 12:57 PM
I need some new games to play. I have been going at it with UT2004, HL2(episode one comes out soon!), Doom 3, and call of duty 2.

I need some suggestions on good fps games to try out. I have BF1942 but gave up after the first 30 minutes but might try playing it again.

Glenn the Great
05-12-2006, 01:12 PM
I guess you could try Halo 2 for the PC. I haven't played it yet but people seem to like it.

Grasshopper
05-12-2006, 01:47 PM
You could if it were out. But since Vista is pushed back until, what, January? Don't expect to be playing Halo 2 anytime soon.

It sounds like you have pretty much all the better ones they have out. You could always try FEAR. I can't really think of anymore.

biggiy05
05-12-2006, 01:49 PM
You could if it were out. But since Vista is pushed back until, what, January? Don't expect to be playing Halo 2 anytime soon.

It sounds like you have pretty much all the better ones they have out. You could always try FEAR. I can't really think of anymore.

I forgot about that one. Going to go pick up a copy once I buy my new ipod.

Anyone played America's Army? The sniper position caught my attention a long time ago then I forgot all about the game.

Archibaldo
05-12-2006, 02:43 PM
Have you tried CS:S? It's pretty much the default FPS game for playing on the net.

Glenn the Great
05-12-2006, 02:46 PM
If he has HL2, he should already have CS:S. It's included for free with purchase of HL2.

War Lord
05-13-2006, 01:21 AM
Get F.E.A.R
Great FPS.

goKi
05-13-2006, 04:53 AM
Have you tried CS:S? It's pretty much the default FPS game for playing on the net.

And it's amazing how it is. The damn game is awful. You do the same thing for 50 times straight over an hour. It's lifeless and pathetic.

HL, on the other hand, is awesome.

Darth Marsden
05-13-2006, 10:31 AM
If you can hang on a week or three, you might try giving SiN Episodes a try. Alternatively, you could give one of these a go:

Alien Vs. Predator I & II
Chaser
Far Cry
Quake IV
Series Sam Series
Star Trek Elite Force I & II
Star Wars Jedi Outcast & Jedi Academy (more Third Person then FPS, but you get a freakin' lightsaber, what more do you want?)
Unreal 2

I know some of those are a little old, but they're all good games, so if you haven't tried some of them, they're always an option. Hope that helps.

MottZilla
05-13-2006, 03:18 PM
Get F.E.A.R
Great FPS.

I second that, I downloaded the demo last night and thought it was really good.

AlexMax
05-13-2006, 08:57 PM
If you're looking for a truely different and fantastic WW2 FPS, then I suggest you try Red Orchestra : Ostfront (http://www.redorchestragame.com/).

The best way to describe it is where games like Medal of Honor try to make you imagine that you're in the middle of a war movie, Red Orchestra makes you feel like you're in a war. It covers the grueling eastern front of WWII where you can either play as the Germans or the Soviets. The game plays farmore realisticly than...say...Call of Duty, even though it's not quite as pretty looking. It sports with accurate bullet physics, realistic weaponry and vehicles and all that jazz. The controls take getting used to, but once you get the hang of it, it's quite fun.

If you're looking something that's free, Tremulous (http://tremulous.net/) is a really neat free game based on the Quake 3 engine that's kind of like Natural Selection on steroids. Same basic Human vs. Alien action, but a fresh new take on the alien race and no idiot commanders to worry about.

And of course, if you can get past the incredably steep learning curve, you can always pick up Quake 3 cheaply and download CPMA (http://www.promode.org/) for the most intense fragfest this side of Doom 2.

I would avoid Battlefield 2, though. It has increadbly high requirements, runs like garbage, and EA loves to pump out expansion after expansion instead of fixing bugs that have been in there since release. Also, F.E.A.R. gets really really damn boring after the first couple of levels, imagine Doom 3 with bullet time and you get a pretty accurate picture of what it's like. Quake 4 is also in pretty bad shape, with a subpar single player game and a mutliplayer community on life support (everyone's busy playing Quake 3 isntead).

mikeron
05-13-2006, 11:10 PM
If you're looking something that's free, Tremulous (http://tremulous.net/) is a really neat free game based on the Quake 3 engine that's kind of like Natural Selection on steroids. Same basic Human vs. Alien action, but a fresh new take on the alien race and no idiot commanders to worry about.

And of course, if you can get past the incredably steep learning curve, you can always pick up Quake 3 cheaply and download CPMA (http://www.promode.org/) for the most intense fragfest this side of Doom 2.Those both look excellent. Have you tried Tremulous on your own computer? If so, what OS?

vegeta1215
05-14-2006, 12:20 AM
I know it's an old game, but Quake III Arena is still a blast.

biggiy05
05-14-2006, 12:41 AM
Need to pay what is left on my credit card then get my dog into the vet and pay the big ass bill for her then I am going to go buy a few of the games and see how they are.

I am stoked for HL2: Episode One though. I can't remember off the top of my head and it's been a long week but I think it's Day of Defeat Source? I heard pretty good things about that game. I know it's on Steam which kinda sucks but I might give that a shot.

mikeron
05-14-2006, 01:20 AM
I know it's an old game, but Quake III Arena is still a blast.I was going to recommend Quake1, but people seem to hate it when I do that...

vegeta1215
05-14-2006, 09:00 AM
I was going to recommend Quake1, but people seem to hate it when I do that...

Not at all. The original Quake is still my favorite of the series (I haven't played Quake 4 yet, and don't really plan to), but it is easier to hop into online matches with Q3A. Though I haven't played it much, Team Arena adds some fun modes and new weapons.

Darth Marsden
05-14-2006, 09:35 AM
I was going to recommend Quake1, but people seem to hate it when I do that...
Given some of the more recent engines you can run it in, I'd say it's not a bad recommendation at all. On the same topic, I'd also recommend Doom I & II, Duke Nukem 3D and Shadow Warior.