PDA

View Full Version : e3 Report Part 1

Cloral
05-11-2006, 11:03 PM
Today was my first of 2 days at e3. By the time I made my way over to the Nintendo booth, the line to see the Wii was rediculously long. So I didn't see it today. But tomorrow seeing the Wii will be my only goal, so I will go there first thing and be willing to wait in line all day to see it. Today therefore was my day to see everything else.

Sony and Nintendo have huge booths right next to each other. It was obvious which one was drawing better. The PS3 has a pretty poor showing. Most of the games they had for it looked flat and uninspired, and the best ones looked like 360 games. They also weren't much fun to play. The best game in Sony's booth was God of War 2 and that's for the PS2. The other fun game there was actually the new Mortal Kombat. Me and a couple friends played several rounds back and forth because there wasn't a line there, with winner staying. My friend dominated for a few rounds, then I figured out how to block effectively and started dominating.
The one positive for the PS3 is the black console looks pretty cool.

The PC section had a number of games that looked really nice. The problem is a) there's no way my PC could run those games like that, and b) none of them really could hold my interest that long. There were some FPSs, but there's so many of those these days. There was also some top-down adventure/rpg type game that reminded me of Diablo. They also had a unit running Windows Vista, but I didn't bother messing around with it.

I was very dissipointed with the 360. There wasn't a single game showing there that I was the least bit interested in. I really hope this changes, I don't want to have sunk $400 into a console whose sole purpose is to play Halo.

The highlight of my day was at Bethesda Studios. Those are the guys responsible for Elder Scrolls. They are now producing a RTS based in the Star Trek universe. One of the guys in my group likes Star Trek, so he wanted to go upstairs to the studio to see the video in their little theatre. They guy there said they only run it at the top of the hour, so it would be a bit of a wait. But seeing that we were also with 2K Games, he told us to go downstairs and he would let us go backstage to check out the game sooner. This we did, and a developer of the game was on-hand to explain in-depth the game to our group of four. It is so much better than seeing a video to have someone demonstrate the game for you, where you can ask him questions about the game and what he's doing. I'm not a huge fan of RTSs or Star Trek so I doubt I'll get it, but the experience was really great. It looked like a quality game though, so if you like RTSs or Star Trek I would recommend watching for it.

Other than that, nothing really stood out much to me. I wish I had gotten to see the Wii today, but I will not leave tomorrow without doing so. It is all I care about at the expo now.

Oh, I almost forgot. There was some really weird game. It was called Awesome Summer or something like that. From what I could see of it, your goal was to traverse the city grabbing women's underwear off of clothes lines. That had to be the oddest thing I saw all day.

Glenn the Great
05-11-2006, 11:38 PM
How were the booth babes?

MottZilla
05-12-2006, 12:15 AM
The booth babes aren't as scantally clad as they used to be as I've heard. But why care? E3 is about whats new in video games and such, not about looking at a bunch of whores. You can do that any day anywhere.

Glenn the Great
05-12-2006, 12:19 AM
This E3 hasn't interested me that much. The only game I care about right now is my Half-Life 2 Episode One.

MottZilla
05-12-2006, 12:21 AM
Well that's because you don't care about console games in which case you have no interest in the majority of news coming out of E3.

Cloral
05-12-2006, 01:30 AM
I actually looked for the Half-Life expansion but couldn't find it. Sierra's booth had some other game I didn't care about.
I heard that same thing about the booth babes earlier this year, but it didn't seem to make a whole load of difference from last year. I saw a number of women that could qualify as 'scantily clad' on the showroom floor.

{DSG}DarkRaven
05-12-2006, 05:51 AM
According to the master list of developers and what they're showing, which I read on gamespy, Valve isn't even present this year. Seems we'll have to forget about freeman until next year?

AlexMax
05-12-2006, 07:30 AM
Well that's because you don't care about console games in which case you have no interest in the majority of news coming out of E3.

Anyone who is following PC games at E3 and isn't following Supreme Commander (http://www.supremecommander.com/) needs their head examined.

Seriously (http://www.supcomuniverse.com/)

EDIT: Neverwinter Nights 2 too

Glenn the Great
05-12-2006, 10:04 AM
According to the master list of developers and what they're showing, which I read on gamespy, Valve isn't even present this year. Seems we'll have to forget about freeman until next year?

Actually, HL2 Episode One is being released in exactly 3 weeks from now, and I've already pre-ordered it. I guess they decided it was coming out too soon to bother showing it at E3.